• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Clerics with 2-handed weapons

Hellefire

First Post
So a cleric in my game is using a 2-handed axe. For somantic spells, he insists he just holds it one-handed while he casts the spell, then puts his other hand back on it. Which, logically, seems ok to me. I was just wondering if this had ever come up as an issue or was a normal thing?

Aaron

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
We see it fairly often. I don't know if it's an official rule or just what we adopted as reasonable, but it's a free action to take a hand on or off a weapon. You can do as many free actions as you want during your turn, so that's not an issue. Of course, you can't take a free action not on your turn, so he needs to decide if at the end of his turn he's got his hand on his weapon (so he can make AoOs), or off his weapon (so he could cast an Immediate spell like that Close Wounds one).

Cheers,
=Blue(23)

Darklone

Same here. The only problem I see (happened only once): PC wanted to cast, enemy wanted to disarm his material components, PC wanted to use HIS AoO against the disarm attempt with the twohanded weapon. Nonono.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Hellefire said:
So a cleric in my game is using a 2-handed axe. For somantic spells, he insists he just holds it one-handed while he casts the spell, then puts his other hand back on it. Which, logically, seems ok to me. I was just wondering if this had ever come up as an issue or was a normal thing?
There's no rule for what kind of action is required to release your grip on a two-handed weapon or to regrip a two-handed weapon. Based on the fact that dropping an item is a free action, it's reasonable to allow releasing a grip on a two-handed weapon is also a free action. To regrip the weapon, however, I require the same action as drawing a weapon, i.e. a move action or a free action when combined with a regular move (with BAB +1 or higher) or a free action with quick draw.

Note also that there's no rule for the action required to move a one-handed (or light) weapon from one hand to the other (usually to the light shield-wielding hand).

Vraister

First Post
On page 40 of the 3.0 FAQ it says:
"If Gruntharg wants to use that longspear he has been holding on his shoulder or dragging
on the ground, he has to get his free hand on it. This maneuver
is similar to drawing the weapon, but a little easier, since
Gruntharg already has one hand on it. Therefore, it’s a free
action. But Gruntharg can do this only during his own turn, and
in any case, he does not threaten an area with the longspear
when he’s holding it in only one hand."

I know its only the FAQ but sounds alright. I haven't found anything in the 3.5 FAQ though.

Vraister

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Blue said:
We see it fairly often. I don't know if it's an official rule or just what we adopted as reasonable, but it's a free action to take a hand on or off a weapon. You can do as many free actions as you want during your turn, so that's not an issue. Of course, you can't take a free action not on your turn, so he needs to decide if at the end of his turn he's got his hand on his weapon (so he can make AoOs), or off his weapon (so he could cast an Immediate spell like that Close Wounds one).

Cheers,
=Blue(23)

Seems fair to me. And an appropriate trade-off, I'd say.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads