CLOSED Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords, Burnt Offerings

hewligan

First Post
I rolled a 19 for you after modifier. You know enough to decipher a few symbols. Some sort of demonic force is contained on the other side of that door, but the markings are too ancient and indecipherable for you to ascertain much more than that.

Rhun

First Post
Danth frowns after a few moments of studying the symbols. "A demon..." he says, his voice quiet. "There is a demon behind this door. What demon, I cannot say. All I can say is that it is certainly a dweller of the Abyss."

Friadoc

Explorer
Rescue me. Free me. You have come for me."

"Hold," says Kael as he pauses, his eyes focus tightly on the door as he slowly shakes his head from left to right and back again. "Something....just spoke in my head."

With a firming of his mind and stance, Kael takes a step forward, but makes no move to open the door.

"Who are you and why do you think I came for you?"

hewligan

First Post
OOC: This is all for Kael, the rest of you are hearing nothing, and are not being guided in the same way.

"I am a prisoner" the voice whispers in Kael's head. Mal whines, and tail tucked between his legs edges backwards out of the door.

"Countless centuries. Trapped! You must free me." The voice is soft, urging, impatient. It is strangely enticing.

Looking at the door you can see no obvious lock, just the four metal bars and then many, many runes. Then, as if guided, your eyes move to the centre of the seven pointed star. There you see a small circlular depression, about the same size as the necklace Jovik took from Nualia's corpse. Inside this small depression is another smaller etching of the star, as if to align with the necklace. This is the lock, the necklace the key. You are sure of it.

"Yes. That is it. I can sense the key. You must do this." The voice pleads.

"I can furnish you with MANY powers. I feel your magic. It is weak, infantile. I can make you a man, gift you with powers far beyond your dreams. Release me and I will show you true magic!"

frostrune

First Post
Jovik quickly pockets the coins, medalion and statue. He picks up the sword and beheads Nualia. He rinses off the sword in the blue pool before tossing the sword to Jokad.

"Catch, here's a momento of your time here." he adds with a grin, kicking the head to Jokad.

Jokad snorts.

He hefts the heavy serrated blade and tests it's balance. "Magic?" he asks of no one in particular. Shrugging, he gingerly bends to scoop up the Nualia's head before dumping it uncermoniously in a sack.

He simply watches silently as his companions move about the room collecting the evidence or loot. When the decision is made to try the last door, Jokad silently follows. You can tell by his body language he is reluctant, perhaps even scared, but were you to call him on it his Shoanti pride would flare and probably cause him to do something foolish.

He is obviously right about one thing however, a fight is not in his best interest at the moment. He is armorless and badly injured. The man has used more than Desna's alotment of luck for one day.

Upon seeing the elaborate door he reflexively comments, "What is with that 7-pointed star anyway? That symbol is everywhere, even that ruin under Sandpoint."

As Mal reacts to the presense on the other side so too does Jokad. His sword comes immediately to hand and his muscles tense. He does not yet know why but the hair on the back of his neck stands on end.

Danth frowns after a few moments of studying the symbols. "A demon..." he says, his voice quiet. "There is a demon behind this door. What demon, I cannot say. All I can say is that it is certainly a dweller of the Abyss."

"Then let us begone," Jokad says without hesitation. "If that witch and her cronies didn't let it out, there was a damn good reason. If those doors have held it for Gods know how long, what's a few more years?"

Friadoc

Explorer
OOC: This is all for Kael, the rest of you are hearing nothing, and are not being guided in the same way.

"I am a prisoner" the voice whispers in Kael's head. Mal whines, and tail tucked between his legs edges backwards out of the door.

"Countless centuries. Trapped! You must free me." The voice is soft, urging, impatient. It is strangely enticing.

Looking at the door you can see no obvious lock, just the four metal bars and then many, many runes. Then, as if guided, your eyes move to the centre of the seven pointed star. There you see a small circlular depression, about the same size as the necklace Jovik took from Nualia's corpse. Inside this small depression is another smaller etching of the star, as if to align with the necklace. This is the lock, the necklace the key. You are sure of it.

"Yes. That is it. I can sense the key. You must do this." The voice pleads.

"I can furnish you with MANY powers. I feel your magic. It is weak, infantile. I can make you a man, gift you with powers far beyond your dreams. Release me and I will show you true magic!"

"It is tempting," says Kael with a shrug, however a smirk forms upon his face as he continues. "But, I generally don't trust things beyond my pale of reason, especially those enticing me with power."

"It is a sure sign of a despot," says Kael as he takes a step back, kneels down and scritches Mal's neck. "Despots, tyrants, and most manner of vile evil know that they've little to offer outside of power. No righteous cause, no love and comradere, nothing of worth or not...just power."

"I'm sure Nualia listened to you, a bit, but she didn't let you out," says Kael. "I'm not as ignorant and power hunger as her, so I shant complete her failure."

"Enjoy eternity in that hole, you git," add Kael with a chuckle. "The key will be destroyed, of no use or access to anyone, and you can spend an eternity rotting in your hole, as I am sure you've earned."

As he turns his back on the door, Kael looks to Jovik and says, "We need to destroy that necklace, my friend, and, when possible, cave this room in around that door. Nothing of worth is beyond that door."

hewligan

First Post
The voice is silent, but then you all feel it. The noticeable cooling of the room, the mist that forms of your breath, the goosebumps that rise upon your flesh.

BANG!

Something large and fast hits the heavy metal door from the other side. The door does not budge.

BANG!

Again.

BANG!

Growing closer together. Growing more frenzied.

The chill in the room now is palpable, almost electric.

It is time to leave. Kael's words have ended the matter, for now. Let the thing stay trapped in its cell of centuries.

As you turn to leave the room the frenzied banging stops for a few second, as if the prisoner can sense your departure.

Kael feels its thoughts reach out to touch him again, but it does not speak, and in a second the sensation is gone.

OOC: Did anyone want to pick up anything else, such as Nualia's journals, or the burning skulls (although I have no idea how you would carry them)? Make your final in-game posts, including, if you could, some notes on what you would like to do with the horse up above, and Ripnugget's head (it was thrown down near the entrance to Thistletop), etc. Just notes are fine and I can craft a few large concluding posts to tie things up.

Fenris

Adventurer
Jovik stops at the door. He turns and looks at the great metal door. The key bounces up and down in his hand. A measured look is in his eye. The other watch with no small amount of apprehension as the key rises and falls. Then his hand clsoes on the key and he shoots the group his familiar grin.

"Now if he had promised gold, he might have had me. Guess demons are all that bright. I mean look who they recruited." he says hooking a thumb back towards Nualia's body.

The key disappears quickly again as Jovik whistles as he heads down the hall way.

frostrune

First Post
"Let us begone," Jokad barks tersely. His discomfort with the supernatural entity so close by is evident.

He sort of gestures toward the hall and waits impatiently for the others to file out.

As they get back to where the trapped has been propped open he says, "Jovik, can we drop these bars one last time? Just another measure from letting anyone get to that demon."

Whether we can or cannot, Jokad's mood seems to improve the further you get from the door. By the time you get to stairs leading back up to the throne room his broad smile has returned.

"That's a good day's work lads," he says chuckling. "I say we get the horse and the loot we couldn't carry then light this place up. Burn it to the ground."

OOC:

1) I'm pretty sure Jovik said he was grabbing the journals and scrolls from room where we killed Nualia. I have her sword he has her bow? I think.

2) Jokad has Nualia's head in a sack. Probably will add the Goblin King's as well before leaving.

3) We should search those crates in the storeroom (near the goblin harem) before going.

4) Jokad wants to gather up the horse and whatever else we left up there then burn this fort to the ground. It will prevent the goblins from re-using such a good base AND help seal the entrance to the lower tunnels.

5) Get back to Sandpoint safely. He has no armor and is hurting.

6) Let the IC fun begin from there!!

Rhun

First Post
Leaving the room, Danth returns to the area in which Nualia was fought. His blade in hand, he begins chopping the burning skulls into pieces. "I'm not sure what she was using these for, but I'm certain it was some foul ritual." That done, he makes sure that any valuables and any other information, such as Nualia's journals and scrolls, are gathered.

Yes, we will gather both Nualia's and Ripnugget's heads in a sack...and I believe I stated that Danth had took the bugbear's collection of ears as well to prove his death.

We should search all the crates. Do we want to engage the tentamort?

I agree that we need to burn this place to the ground.

We'll take the horse with us; the goblins got him into the compound, so I assume he can be led back across the bridge?

Remove ads