CLOSED Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords, Burnt Offerings

hewligan

First Post
Razing Thistlepoint

The return to the surface is quick and easy. Jovik only needed to take one quick look at the trap to know that he had broken it quite magnificently. There was, unfortunately, no hope of lowering it again, or of it triggering again. Still, you all elect to make the short jump over it, Kael holding Mal. Better safe than sorry.

Jokad walks at the front, a sack slung over his shoulder with Nualia's head inside. it is a gruesome sight, seeing it swing about. The sack quickly become drenched in blood, leaving sticky lines down his torn undershirt.

The crates beside the nursery contain all sorts of junk scavenged from the Junk Beach by the goblin tribe. There is enough raw material of various sorts (wood, metal, glass, even bones and skins) to make furniture or weapons, or whatever other weird bits and bobs the little crazies needed. There is, without doing an exhaustive search, little of value to anyone other than a lunatic.

Upon your return to the surface, the sky is brooding and dark, thick with clouds, and threatening rain once again. You scout through the empty building carefully, checking each room just to make sure that nothing is lying in wait for you. The place feels strangely eery now, and the menacing air just adds to the tension.

Jokad stoops to pick up Ripnugget's decapitated head, and adds that to his trophy sack. You then loop back to get the horse. Danth leads the beast carefully out of the building. He seems calm now, albeit still very jittery, and clearly not in a great state (although is will be a magnificent mount if you can get him fed, trained, and healed over time).

The last loop takes you round the outside of the fort, again doing a final recon sweep, with Jovik creeping a good 20 yards ahead of the rest of you, walking low amongst the thick bushes and scrubs that dot this small island.

You find an ancient (and useless) rowboat and oars that appears to have been used for a game of cards recently, although it appears that the game was upset. This is probably a relic of your earlier adventures when the guards came rushing to their chieftain's defense.

At the back of the fort you find a long wooden plank, much like a bridge platform. This, it appears, is what they brought the horse across on, and not that rickety rope bridge. It takes a good 10 minutes of strenuous activity for you all to hall the long, thin bridge to the front and carefully edge it out foot by foot across the expanse to the other side. It is made from salvaged ship panels, nailed together by heavy lead nails. It is pretty thick, pretty stable, and obviously something that has seen much use. With it in place, with a good 5 feet or so of extra length on each side of the dangerous drop, it does looks pretty stable. Still, not something you would want to cross more than once! The rope bridge, however, swaying as it is in the wind, is an even less appetizing option, and there is NO CHANCE that you are going to ever get a war horse across a goblin rope bridge.

With the bridge in place, you return your attention to the fort. Burning this thing down is not going to be easy. It is always hard to start a fire at the best of times, and burning down a large wooden complex is, well, complex.

Flint, sparks, paper, little fire .... and then a slightly scorched wall. Lucky for you guys you brought Danth along with his SIX pints of lamp oil. What sort of reclusive book freak brings SIX pints of lamp oil on an adventure? Either one that is scared of the dark, or one that likes to eat chips with every meal.

Jokad raises an enquiring eyebrow, but even the Shoanti doesn't want to frame the obvious question when Danth, one by one, lifts out his cloth wrapped metal lamp oil containers. Six pints of liquid goes quite a long way, dousing the walls of the throne room. Jokad and Danth finish their task and then leave by the window of the throne room. The corpses in here will just have to burn - one last burnt offering!

With nary a backwards glance, Jokad throws an oil soaked flaming rag into the room through the window he just exited from. The stench of oil is strong, but then the roar takes the air away as the room ignites.

Standing at the edge of the rock together, looking back at Thistletop, ready to cross the wooden bridge and head back into the thistle briars, you watch the goblin fort billow thick palls of black smoke into the sky. If you are lucky, the people of Sandpoint may catch wind of your triumph even before you return home.

The crossing is slow, and heart-stopping. Jovik crosses first, followed by Kael leading a very brave Mal. Then Danth tries to lead the horse onto the bridge. It pulls against him nervously, perhaps recalling its last trip, perhaps just justifiable petrified by the drop. Danth whispers and calms the beast, eventually persuading him to make a single step, and then a second. it is slow work, taking some minutes to lead him across, but despite the perilous creaking of the wood, it is a successful journey.

Jokad, feigning impatience, strolls across casually.

On the opposite bank you all stop to take one last look at Thistletop. The clouds overhead break a little, casting some final sun onto the little island. The outline of the face on the ancient stone is caught in relief and thrust into shadow, making the time, water, and wind worn features more visible than before.

Atop it, the goblin fort burns, sending a fat finger of flame and smoke into the sky.

OOC: No post from me until Monday. Please feel free to post IC about your return trip en-route to Sandpoint.

Rhun

First Post
Flint, sparks, paper, little fire .... and then a slightly scorched wall. Lucky for you guys you brought Danth along with his SIX pints of lamp oil. What sort of reclusive book freak brings SIX pints of lamp oil on an adventure? Either one that is scared of the dark, or one that likes to eat chips with every meal.

OOC: This paragraph had me in stiches! LOL. Nice!

Rhun

First Post
Danth watches the flames and smoke from the distance, holding the reigns of the magnificient horse which he and his companions had saved. After several minutes of silence, he turns to regard his friends. A slight smile plays on his face, but all can see the sadness in his eyes. While the cleric had proven himself quite proficient in combat, it was clear to all that he would prefer other methods. "It is done, my friends. The threat of Thistletop is ended, Sandpointe is safe. Sarenae has certainly blessed our endeavor; let us now return to the village, and enjoy the fruits of our success."

Fenris

Adventurer
Danth watches the flames and smoke from the distance, holding the reigns of the magnificient horse which he and his companions had saved. After several minutes of silence, he turns to regard his friends. A slight smile plays on his face, but all can see the sadness in his eyes. While the cleric had proven himself quite proficient in combat, it was clear to all that he would prefer other methods. "It is done, my friends. The threat of Thistletop is ended, Sandpointe is safe. Sarenae has certainly blessed our endeavor; let us now return to the village, and enjoy the fruits of our success."

"Barley is a grain not a fruit Danth" says Jovik with a grin.

frostrune

First Post
"Barley is a grain not a fruit Danth" says Jovik with a grin.

"BAH!! Hahahahahahaha!!! It is indeed and I hope they brought in a good harvest."

Out comes the big arm for one of his annoyingly frequent backslaps and Jovik takes the blow in stride.

"So... exactly how many taverns are there in Sandpoint? I'm wondering if there are enough for the four of us."

OOC: That was a good descriptive summary. It would be cool if the town saw the billowing smoke as a precursor to our arrival.

Friadoc

Explorer
Kael has kept quiet company with Mal, laughing from time to time at the comments and glorification of their deeds, on their way back to Sandpoint, however after a few moments, he looks toward Danth and says a simple comment.

"So, Danth....six pints?" Kael askes with a sly grin. "Really?"

hewligan

First Post
The Return To Sandpoint

The night closes in as you make the six mile, 2 hour hike back to Sandpoint. It feels strange, perhaps slightly anti-climactic. You are heroes now, you have vanquished your foe, and yet here you are trudging through mud with two heads in a sack and little to say.

You are tired, hurting, and perhaps all a bit dazed about the day's proceedings.

Four youths, who only a few weeks ago were going about their separate lives, thrust together to save Sandpoint ... and then succeeding. It isn't so hard to get your heads around your success. You all know now that you have a good group of friends around you. You know that these guys can hold their own in a fight, are willing to throw themselves in the path of danger for one another. So the success is not the difficult part to understand, it is trying to reconcile your knowledge of yourself before these past few weeks with the knowledge of the person you have become.

You are heroes now. Proper heroes. I mean, who else would storm a goblin stronghold and clean it out in a single day? Who else would delve deep into a hidden catacomb beneath the town and wipe the evil from it? Who else would have tracked down Nualia, despite their injuries and fears, and taken her head from her shoulders?

You are still not quite sure WHY this all happened, though. It feels as if there are several threads yet to be tied together. The strange seven pointed star rune that you found in so many places. The presence of Laamashtu in all of this. The true purpose of the goblin attack, and even of the burnt offering that Nualia made of her 'father'. The demonic thing you left locked within its ancient prison. The monstrous Sinspawn that rose from the pools beneath Sandpoint as if from some ancient slumber. It doesn't make sense. It is as if you have succeeded in your quest, to save Sandpoint from an imminent attack, but haven't actually got any closer to finding out why.

It makes you think that this tale may yet have more to it.

Last edited:

hewligan

First Post
A Hero's Welcome

A hero's welcome is not forthcoming. You reach Sandpoint just as night is closing in. You are, to a man, cold, hungry, and tired. Mal and the horse trail behind, both appearing wary of the other, both looking ready for a warm place to sleep.

The town, when you arrive back, is quiet. Several people are returning late from their work to their homes. Candle-light flickers from most windows. The smell of smoke drifts from the many chimneys. At the gate the guards are new, fresh from Hemlock's trip to Magnimar. They nod, perhaps recognising you from descriptions given to them, but they are not men you have served alongside.

"Well met" they offer. "Back already?"

You find it hard to build up the enthusiasm to respond. Jovik asks one to fetch Hemlock and Mayor Deverin from their evening meal, and then wanders with the rest to the Mayor's office.

They have to wait some time before anyone turns up. First to arrive is Sheriff Hemlock. He looks insanely tired, with bags under his eyes, and stress lines creasing his forehead. When he sees you all, and he actually stops to make eye contact with each of you in turn, as if convincing himself that you ALL survived, he actually lets out a laugh of pure delight and surges forward, the Shoanti in him surging out for a moment as he embraces you each in turn. "My boys, my boys, my boys" he stammers. "Oh tell me it went well, tell me we finally have some fair news for this cursed town!"

The door swings open as he breaks away from you. Mayor Deverin, looking composed, but equally tired, hesitates.

"Well? Please let the tidings be fair?"

---

The story you reveal to them takes almost as long in the telling as it took in the doing. Half way through food and drink that you never noticed Deverin ordering arrives. You feast on cold meats and bread, red wine, and perfect autumnal apples. The cider this year will be good!

You each take turns, adding to the story, remembering some painful addition, revealing the journals, the heads, the necklace with ears, the fate of the old priest, now an offering to Laamashtu. But you keep some things private, as if in silent agreement. You are not sure how to breach the suggestions that Nualia made about her adoptive father, or the child she claims was sired alive. You leave out the part about the goblin children you spared.

And for some reason, all of you fail to mention the demon. It is as if some unspoken pact exists between you. Perhaps it is simply because you completed the mission you were sent out to do, and there is no need to dwell on what was left behind.

When you talk of burning down the fort, Hemlock laughs with glee and offers up some Shoanti insult to the goblins that would make your mothers blush. A reproving glare from Deverin makes him cough nervously and apologise. The big man is clearly delighted.

"We will stake and display the goblin king's head in the centre of town. Nualia ... I think we will ask the church to consecrate and bury her head. It would do the people no good to see the head of one they remember as a child of heaven, a plane touched charm in their midst. They recall her that way, and we do not need them to think that their angel was cursed to become a demon. Our days are dark enough as they are. And I ask you all to not mention her, or what happened to her father. We have covered things up here. We have covered up the theft from the graveyard ... you have closed this issue for us. Lets let the people sleep easy at nights. FOR ONCE!"

Deverin finishes her request, and looks at you all for confirmation. When she sees that no disagreement is coming she continues.

"You will be heroes here. We will make you freemen of this town. We will make a Charter of the Wolves of Sandpoint, and you will be its members. We have little money to speak of here, but I do still have some political power, and I will work hard to have Magnimar reward you!"

At last, the meal is over, and talk is done. You get to leave your macabre cargo behind and leave for a night of drinking and sleep. The horse is stabled by the guards, and the ale will flow.

hewligan

First Post
The Charter of the Wolves of Sandpoint

In the morning the call comes to return to the mayor's office. In the light of day she looks much more refreshed, much more relaxed than the previous evening.

Danth is not present. Jokad is nursing the worst hangover for at least the past month, maybe even two. Kael is feeling fine, but he fears that this may be more related to the hangover not yet having reached him. Jovik, well that lucky sod always seems to avoid the hangovers, pity he lost at the cards last night!

Mayor Deverin slides across a letter with a large metal badge folded inside to each of you.

Wolves_Charter_1.jpg

The gold badge looks very old.

"These are ancient." She offers. "They date back to a heroic order of almost two centuries back. We have only six of these in total in the town. They are some of our most prized artifacts. Not magical, as such, but they hold great symbolic importance to our people. We all grew up on tales of the Wolves, and now YOU are our Wolves."

"Danth already has his. He had to leave late last night. A messenger arrived from Magnimar. The second that has come, demanding his immediate return to his order. We did not know why, but he asked me not to spoil your evening and has promised to send a messenger back soon to let you know when ... if ... he can return. I know that we, the people of Sandpoint, would like you all to stay at least through the autumn and winter. It would give you time to heal, and more importantly it would give us time to reward you fully for your deeds!"

hewligan

First Post
The Reward From Sandpoint

OOC: I am going to post a single large update for each of your characters over the next 4 days (one a day). While this unfolds I would like you to do the following:

1) Please update your characters to level 4. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

2) Please select a weapon and ability for your special reward (see below)

3) Please feel free to post an IC to describe the night of your return if you desire, but not the intervening months. I will take care of that, as I want the next adventure to start as winter retreats.

4) Can someone (or everyone) let me know what items you picked up that need identifying, and I can subtract the required cash to do the identify and let you know what the items are. Also, if anyone wants to trade items out or in, then please do so. There will be sufficient chance with caravans etc. over the next few months to sell items (inc. magic with value less than 1000gp) and buy items (same limit) as required, so restock as desired.

---

Sandpoint Reward: Deverin manages to pull some very important political strings and organises for the government to meet the expense of a magical upgrade to your most favoured weapon. All characters may pick a single weapon that they already own, melee or ranged, and select any single special ability with a Base Price Modifier of +1 bonus from the tables on this page:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm

For melee weapons that means one of: Bane, Defending, Flaming, Frost, Shock, Ghost touch, Keen, Ki Focus, Merciful, Mighty Cleaving, Spell storing, Throwing, Thundering, or Vicious

For ranged: Bane, Distance, Flaming, Frost, Merciful, Returning, Shock, Seeking, Thundering

1 weapon each only please!

Remove ads