• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cloud of Daggers and Enlarge Spell

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Enlarge spell is worded thusly:

"Before using a wizard at will or encounter attack power, you can choose to take a -2 penalty to each die of damage rolled with the power to increase the sizeof its blast or its burst by 1. You can't use this feat on a power that doesn't roll dice for damage"

So, if the user decides to take the -2 penalty, there will be a 1d6 + Int -2 damage on the inital attack. But does the expanded radius do any damage at all if the area damage on Cloud of Daggers is only at 1 dmg?

Or does the fact that the spell is an Area spell preclude it from working with Enlarge spell?

END COMMUNICATION

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
That is about what I figured, but i told my players I would look into it.

For the record, my group was so very very much 'doing it wrong' today. I had not closely read the power, and we were running the Cloud of Daggers as a burst 1 spell, and with enlarge spell, they were getting a 5x5 area that would inflict 1 damage to anything starting in the area. Made clearing minions a bit over done.

But considering I had 3 out or 4 games end in TPK or near TPK not too long ago, I am not going to hold it against them. Still, next game it gets used right.

END COMMUNICATION

CovertOps

First Post
That is about what I figured, but i told my players I would look into it.

For the record, my group was so very very much 'doing it wrong' today. I had not closely read the power, and we were running the Cloud of Daggers as a burst 1 spell, and with enlarge spell, they were getting a 5x5 area that would inflict 1 damage to anything starting in the area. Made clearing minions a bit over done.

But considering I had 3 out or 4 games end in TPK or near TPK not too long ago, I am not going to hold it against them. Still, next game it gets used right.

END COMMUNICATION

I might allow this to work for the initial damage (d6 + Int - Area burst 0 -> Area burst 1 - just for the "cool" factor and say "yes" attitude), but certainly not for the "Effect" as there are no dice rolled for the damage (just WIS mod). But RAW I'm with the other posters in that the blast/burst keyword is not present.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads