• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cloverfield

Arnwyn

First Post
Mistwell said:
The movie kicked butt at the box office, is getting good buzz, and good reviews from some touch critics. Looks like it won in the court of public opinion (and I think it's well deserved).
Guess not. What a tremendous dive!

(And I'm glad. Hopefully it'll disabuse any studio from making more movies with that shaky cam nonsense.)

and you will feel left out if you don't see this one.
How wrong you are. (And usually the predicament one gets into when they think they know how others will feel.)

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Arnwyn said:
Guess not. What a tremendous dive!

(And I'm glad. Hopefully it'll disabuse any studio from making more movies with that shaky cam nonsense.)

Doubtful, considering that it earned double it's budget in the first week alone.

Merlion

First Post
I enjoyed it enormously. I dont think having "stock characters" is much of an issue...they are "stock" for a reason, plus that isnt what the movie is about. A part of me is annoyed by not knowing more details, but I apreciate the fact that they did it. I think we will probably see more movies and other media unravelling the story as time goes on.

I had at least one dream directly resulting from this movie...of course, I have dreams about water/sea monsters on a regular basis anyway, but I could tell this one was due to seeing the movie.

Arnwyn

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
Doubtful, considering that it earned double it's budget in the first week alone.
I suspect that has less to do with being "shaky cam", and more with being "cheaply made". (Though there is a little bit of correlation.)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Saw the move back on the weekend.

Normally, I cannot read in buses or cars without getting motion sickness, but the movie didn't bother me, thankfully. My wife didn't fair quite as well. Not bad enough to spoil her appreciation of the movie, but the lingering effects were unfortunate.

Anyway, I liked it, a lot. I think the shaky-cam needs to be restricted to very specific uses - I wouldn't want to see it become a common technique. But, on occasion, it does just the right thing for the movie.

It had monster, it had apocalypse, it had plucky characters, it had interesting point of view. My day was complete :)

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Arnwyn said:
I suspect that has less to do with being "shaky cam", and more with being "cheaply made". (Though there is a little bit of correlation.)

Regardless, you made the assertion that "Hopefully it'll disabuse any studio from making more movies with that shaky cam nonsense", and I pointed out that given its success, it's unlikely to dissuade anyone from making more. Hell, with returns like that, the studios will probably let the sequel be filmed on stilts if that's how Matt Reeves wants to shoot it.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Cthulhudrew said:
Hell, with returns like that, the studios will probably let the sequel be filmed on stilts if that's how Matt Reeves wans to shoot it.

Stilts? Hm. Really tall stilts - he'll film the next one from a point of view on the tippy-top of the monster's head...

Remove ads