• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Clubhouse: The Shearing Pen

Greybar

No Trouble at All
I think this will be pretty self-correcting as we get to higher CRs and all of the combatants have reasonable Int scores, but...

Should there be any general judgement on what Int is needed to recognize that the summoner should be the target? For instance, now that LG has had a combatant confused by this, can we assume that the handlers will instruct/train/beat the later combatants of greater than Int3 into not making the same mistake?

Gansk

Explorer
Greybar said:
Can we assume that the handlers will instruct/train/beat the later combatants of greater than Int3 into not making the same mistake?

They can go into the arena with the strategy of attacking the nearest opponent or the strategy of ignoring everybody but the original opponent. They can change their minds in the middle of combat, but that will be considered a change of strategy.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
How would we determine damage for slamming an opponent into the N or S wall (via Bull Rush)?

And could you slam someone into the wall and essentially grapple them against it (i.e. pin them between you and the wall)?

That might be particularly good for big bulky things.

Last edited:

Gansk

Explorer
Greybar said:
How would we determine damage for slamming an opponent into the N or S wall (via Bull Rush)?

And could you slam someone into the wall and essentially grapple them against it (i.e. pin them between you and the wall)?

That might be particularly good for big bulky things.

There are no explicit rules that cover this subject, but as a house rule I will allow the opponent to fall prone in its space. The bull rusher returns to the square adjacent to the opponent. The wall does not help with grapple attempts.

As an alternative, the bull rusher can occupy the space next to the wall and the opponent is pushed to the closest side E or W and does not fall prone. If neither side is closer, I will decide the direction randomly. A nerra was pushed out of the arena this way in an earlier combat.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
But how much damage would the push into the wall do?

Some sort of 1d6+Str type thing? or 1d6+Str x size difference mod

Gansk

Explorer
Normally to push an opponent back more than 5 feet, the bull rusher has to keep moving along with him or her. The wall prevents bull rusher from doing that, so the most force that the bull rusher can exert on the opponent is a five foot push. That is not enough to cause damage.

This is not like a body check in hockey, it is more like a defensive pass rush in football. The opponent can create enough friction with the ground to stay up and move back with the rusher or if the rusher is too powerful, the opponent can just fall to the ground.

Gansk

Explorer
Gansk said:
Sandstorm clarifies the summon mephit ability to a duration of 3 rounds, even though the summoned mephits can't use their summoning ability for 1 hour (dumb). We'll use this rule from now on, which means that the fire mephit's buddy should disappear in the Celestial arena.

Cancel this - the MM glossary defines the duration of the summon creature spell-like ability as one hour.

PJSlavner

Explorer
OOC I just checked, and you are right. Unless stated otherwise, a supernatural ability is a standard action, and it is not stated otherwise. I have been doing manifestation wrong all these years (not that my campaign is swarming with ghosts).

Gansk, because a ghost has the Material Plane as one of its two home planes, could it have come in already manifested? If not, the action would have been the same except for the initial attack dealing 7 points of damage, and Wild Thing would have 7 more hit points.

Gansk

Explorer
PJSlavner said:
Gansk, because a ghost has the Material Plane as one of its two home planes, could it have come in already manifested?

Usually is it more fun for the ethereal creature to come into the arena while on the ethereal plane and then pop in out of thin air, but I see no reason why it couldn't come in the arena on the Prime Material instead.

Remove ads