Clubhouse: The Shearing Pen

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Ic

The lurking presence notices that the Limbo globe seems to be frozen in time; the Limbo faction doesn't notice as they're too busy taking advantage of the bar. The presence wanders down to the host's podium, and a brief discussion ensues. Eventually, the presence makes another mark in the sponsor's log, and returns to his seat with the other Celestials.

The other Celestials, in their turn, have another, much hotter, discussion with the presence. Whatever he communicates with them seems to mollify them to some degree. In the background, the Limbo globe resumes playing.

Gansk

Explorer
GuardianLurker said:
8 arenas * 20 CRs = 160 different announcements.

The maximum number of announcements would be 9 (8 arenas plus the 'welcome' announcement). The announcements can be edited and deleted. I have already edited an existing announcement about the Mechanus arena and changed it from CR 1 to CR 2.

Any talk about CR's in the threads is part of the OOC banter between the player and I - it is not meant to be any 'official proclamation' or 'announcement'.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Ah. That's better then. I just didn't have enough data points to distinguish between the two scenarios. 9 announcements + the overhead is still a lot, but its better than 160. :D

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
OOC

I've looked over the Fire Falcon stats, now. It doesn't look too bad, except for the auto-hit/no-save feature of the Flame Spheres. The damage itself isn't the issue, it's the no-save that puts it over. I've put in some errata to the CreatureCatalog folks suggesting it probably needs a Reflex save on the initial hit.

As it stands now, I'd benchmark it at CR2.

Gansk

Explorer
Ooc

GuardianLurker said:
OOC

I've looked over the Fire Falcon stats, now. It doesn't look too bad, except for the auto-hit/no-save feature of the Flame Spheres. The damage itself isn't the issue, it's the no-save that puts it over. I've put in some errata to the CreatureCatalog folks suggesting it probably needs a Reflex save on the initial hit.

As it stands now, I'd benchmark it at CR2.

I agree with you, it is poorly written and forced me to bend over backwards to make it even close to CR 1. If you add the Ref save to the spheres, I think CR 1 is appropriate.

The CR2 phase wasp had no-save magic missiles at double the range, double the damage, and unlimited use (with a delay between uses).

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Eh. 2d4+2 (possibly split between two targets) every third round on average, vs. 1d6+1d6(Ref DC 15)+1d3(Ref DC 15) that's Area-of-Effect, and can be done once/round for four rounds, is pretty close to even I think. And the Fire Falcon can actually do melee damage.

As written, it's seeming more and more like CR 2.

ugulu

First Post
Gansk - been skimming the creature catalog. Do you know the builders of said document? The FAQ says no submissions, but I couldn't resist doing a 3.5 version of the Quickling, an old favorite. Do you know if they just junk submissions?

Gansk

Explorer
Ooc

ugulu said:
Gansk - been skimming the creature catalog. Do you know the builders of said document? The FAQ says no submissions, but I couldn't resist doing a 3.5 version of the Quickling, an old favorite. Do you know if they just junk submissions?

I think the way it works is you request a monster you want converted, then all the interested ENWorlders debate how it should be converted. Check the Monster Conversion forum and you'll see a couple of threads where the work is done.

Gansk

Explorer
Ooc

Here's a creative exercise that players can participate in while they are waiting for my moves!

Design your own general!

As I have stated in the rules, each alignment gets exactly one CR 21 general. If the general is defeated, the alignment is eliminated from the Battle of All Alignments.

I have been struggling with finding generals for each alignment. Here is what I have come up with so far:

LG: Old Gold Dragon (MM or Draconomicon)
NG: Battle Dragon Wyrm (Draconomicon) with a template applied (TBA)
CG: Brass Dragon Wyrm (MM or Draconomicon)
LN: Ancient Rust Dragon (Draconomicon) with a template applied (TBA)
N: Thunder Worm (Fiend Folio)
CN: Titan (MM)
LE: Ancient Blue Dragon (MM or Draconomicon)
NE: Frost Linnorm (Creature Catalog)
CE: Very Old Red Dragon (MM or Draconomicon)

If you don't like the general I have chosen, come up with your own! Here are the rules:

1) The monster must come from one of the sources listed in the rules for the Battle of All Alignments. Spells and feats can also come from those sources, but they are subject to my review.

2) The base monster must be at least CR 18, then advanced or have a template applied, or both. More than one template cannot be applied, and the template must be legal for the base creature and cannot change its alignment. Advancement must also be shown as "legal" in the stat block of the monster.

3) The monster must be an "average" specimen. Do not pull out the high cleric for Asmodeus in the Book of Vile Darkness and give him an extra level to make him CR 21. Hit points will be average.

4) The monster cannot receive any more equipment than is specified in the text, even if the monster is advanced by level.

5) You must submit the stat block of your general before a CR 11 monster enters the Battle of All Alignments. If you have not done so, I will use the default monster from the above list.

6) If you do not want to participate or feel that you don't have enough of the texts to design a general, you can tell me to use the default monster.

7) If you want your general to be a surprise to the other players, you can private message me using the ENWorld PM utility.

If there are any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Good luck and have fun!

Remove ads