Clutches of Evil - IC: Chapter One

unleashed

First Post
Keryth, Male Drakontos Cleric

“Not to worry Gav, I’m not referring to doing labouring or such, just some simple tasks that would require the unique skills we possess.”

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Endoo smirks at Gav, amuzed by his loyalty to himself and his secrets. "Your restraint within my walls is vastly appreciated, young one. It is rare to find one of such a young age who knows so clearly when to use their talents and when not to, eh? But if you'll catch my meaning ... there is a pretentious, patronizing, supercilious wealthy merchant who often frequents the Rusty Anchor - an old tavern down the road. He uses people because he has enough money to get away with it. The barkeep, waiters, and waitresses are always receiving large tips from him, but they pay for it in abuse and come-ons all the time. I, of course, would have nothing at stake should he find his pockets emptied. But since your young one here does seem so confident, I thought I would pass along a wee bit of information. And, perhaps, earn a little loyalty if the information pans out?"

Destiny gets a big grin on her face. "This merchant likes to mistreat women, eh? I've got gift for him that'll make his stomach less than pleased. And perhaps that would distract him enough for Gav to see what he could do, eh youngin' ?"

She winks at Gav, hoping that he follows her invitation. "Of course, the rest of you would have no problem building up his bravado and forcing him to boast and brag so that in the end he is made out to look like a fool, right?"

jkason

First Post
Byntrou

Byntrou smiles, then masks his glee when he realizes Endoo's assistants are still wandering about.

"Many thanks for your various forms of assistance, Master Endoo," Byntrou says, bowing. Then he turns to the rest of the party, adding, "When everyone's satisfied with their equipping, perhaps we should retire our discussion of ... employment opportunities to someplace with fewer stray ears?"

Barak

First Post
Gav

Gav looks at Endoo, pure confusion showing on his face.

"So.. That man has a lot of money, but treat people who work for him badly? I really fail to see how that could help, sir! Sure, he could pay us well for work, but I wouldn't wanna work for one such as him!"

Just as the merchant begins to think that he either wrongly took the boy for a thief or that he is a fool, Gav winks at him.

OOC:
You -can- roll a bluff for Gav I guess, but he gives the game away eventually with his wink anyway, so it matters little. :)

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Endoo nods to his assistant to leave the room. "They will be of little trouble to you," he says as the assistant leaves. "But I know it to be all the same. Personaly, I will be at the Rusty Anchor this evening - I've heard they have a fine show for entertainment and it has been so long since I've seen a good heartwarming show." He seems to enjoy the thought running through his head.

He counts in his head a wee bit and says, "I believe I have your final bills ready just in case you should find a good salaried position in Theropa.. The young one owes a maximum of 8 gold for his daggers. The larger of the two Boes - please forgive me but I have already forgotten your names - will tally 4 gold per day for the greatsword, battleaxe, warhammer, and chain shirt. If you choose to purchase your equipment outright, the total bill will be 172 gold. The apparent dragon worshipper will tally 3 gold per day for the morningstar, chainmail, and shield. Your total bill, should you want to buy the equipment outright would be 178 gold. The smaller Bous will tally 2 gold per day for the scimitar and the longbow. Including the arrows, your total purchase to buy thm outright would be 91 gold. And, the human desiring all the spikes will tally 1 gold per day for the spiked breastplate, and your total bill will be 250 gold to purchase your equipment outright."

He pauses, allowing the party to agree and decide if they wish to stay or leave.

jkason

First Post
Byntrou

Watching the assistant leave, Byntrou smiles with a little relief.

"The amounts sound correct to me, assuming whatever price Pwent has accrued with his spiked breastplate. And I have to thank you again, Endoo. It's just easier to control information the fewer people hear it."

Now Byn turns back to his companions, saying, "Given our relative privacy now, perhaps it is best to do our planning here. I think the rest of us surely ought to be capable of some sort of diversion should Gav and Destiny choose to use their various skills to procure us funding from someone who doesn't deserve it.

"But what say we give the man a chance, eh? Perhaps the four of us: Pwent, Bahruul, Keryth, and myself, should approach and ask him to sponsor our quest? Surely a local merchant should have a vested interest in eliminating the crime spree which so clearly hurts the local economy? If we succeed, we gain funds without the extra complication. If we fail ..."

Byn gets a wicked glint in his eye.

"If we fail, I was thinking perhaps Bahruul might just be overcome with the frustration of it all. We don't want to go so far as to get the guard called in, but intimidatingly large as my herdmate is, it might just take Pwent and I to restrain him while our wise, priestly companion 'talks sense' into him. The whole thing would likely draw quite a lot of attention for long enough that a careless merchant might ... misplace his purse."

D20Dazza

Explorer
Bahruul agrees with the terms of the hire and the plan that his friends are hatching, he is quite prepared to let the human in the imposing spiked armour do the intimidating if he so wishes. Bahruul generally tries to do his best to avoid being the centre of public attention when he can.

unleashed

First Post
Keryth, Male Drakontos Cleric

Keryth just stands and nods his head, knowing that this man needs a lesson...and what would hurt him more than losing some of his wealth.

Last edited:

Remove ads