• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[CoC-DnD3e-FR] Dead of Winter

drs

First Post
"Hmm, yeah I still have some left after that blasted horse" Zichard then grabs his pouch, fishes out two gold coin and flicks 'em to Fezzin. "I'll be right back I'm just going to see how much I can get stabling for" He then makes his way to the (assumed) inn stable and will pay for one night and feed for his steed. Once that is sorted he will make his way into the inn and will sit down with Fezzin.

Last edited:

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Prologue (Move 2)

30 Flamerule 1372 DR, Caerrhen, Damara-Impiltur border
It is currently unseasonably warm and uncomfortable in northwestern Impiltur, with uncharacteristically high humidity. There is no noticeable wind.

Yanis Princetonson, Approximately 0905 hrs
A corner stool at the edge of the bar should do nicely, as the two tables are largely occupied by miners and their families. The off-duty miners lazily guzzle ale, heckling their unfortunate brethren as the latter scurry off to the mines. A rather young barmaid, flushed and flustered, scuttles out from behind a large curtain behind the bar (judging from the smells, that must be the kitchen). Just as she's out, she stops, gives a broad grin, and almost skips back to the curtain, and pokes her head in. Whatever she said or did surely got some reaction, as she deftly ducks a flying roll. The barkeep, a stout dwarf with no hair to speak of on his head and a luxurious silver beard, gives her a stern look as she passes him and cocks his head in your direction, "Jannah, will y'stop flirtin' wit' Arnich an' pay the customers some heed. I've got more'n enough t'do wit'out pickin' up the slack of you an' y'r man." Jannah flushes once again, looks down at her shoes, and quickly regains her composure. This is clearly a recurring event.

Gathering herself, she quickly moves by the other customers, checking on them and any orders they might have, making mental notes to herself. By the time she gets to you, she's her natural color and all business, "Well met, I'm sure, and what can I do for you?" She takes your order, and heads back to the kitchen, returning directly (and flushing anew) with a quick rundown of your order as "a jar of the house mead, a wedge of cheese, a piece of bread, and will that be all? If so, I'll be back in a moment to pick up the coin." She smiles, not unkindly, and heads off to tend to other customers.

People generally seem puzzled when you ask them about the calmness of the town. The most common reaction you seem to get can be summed up best by the reaction of an old miner on the other end of the bar: "Quiet? Calm? Surely a man like yourself has a better hold on the plot than to think that Caerrhen is quiet?" He seems very drunk. Before you can follow up with any more questions, you notice a grinning face approaching you...Karok.

Sir Zichard Danilk, Fezzin Verghenheim, Approximately 1105 hrs
After spotting Fezzin the gold necessary for the inn, Sir Zichard scouts out the Miner's Tankard for stables of any kind. There is no readily apparent stable on the outside of the tavern, although there is a hitching post or two just outside the inn's entrance. The post itself is accompanied by a sign (labeled in Dwarven and Damaran) detailing the reluctance of the owner, Draegor Bjornhull, to reimburse people for the loss of their mounts, and the necessity of inquiring about feed inside. It cannot be used all that often as the post is almost new, no noticeable wear from any sort of rope or tether is apparent.

OOC: Let me know if you decide to hitch the horse here, and we'll put it in.

The inside of the Miner's Tankard is poorly lit and dusty. It's also damn near empty at this time of the day. A few men sit drinking, either alone or in small groups, the barkeep, a stocky dwarf, is talking to a young man and a young woman near the back of the horshoe-shaped bar. The girl frequently flushes and looks to her feet. Two large circular tables, one to either side of the door stand mostly empty. The dwarf, noticing the two of you, finishes his conversation and approaches, bouncing across the floor.

"Aye, surely I c'n get somethin' f'r the two o' y'? Ale, food, an' board, Draeg'r Bjorn'll atch'r service m'friends." And then, looking at Fezzin, "A man o' Clangeddi' is always welcome in th'Tankard." After indicating your desire for lodging, he nods, an motions for you to follow him, leading you to a well-hidden staircase just to the left of the bar, he shouts back to the young woman, "Jannah, send Arnich back t'wark, and mind t'bar f'r me, eh?"

Ezra Geonora, Approximately 1205 hrs
The temple of Ilmater, even incomplete, is a bold structure. With its gigantic rendition of his symbol on its facade, this six sided building could never be mistaken for anything else. In its southern side, a gaping hole indicates where the door will be, and looking inside you can see well crafted oaken pews lining the interior of the main chapel. At the head of the pews, an altar, adorned with a smaller version of the ivory and bloodstone hands, is at the head. An older woman, adorned in pure white robes, approaches you. Clearly preoccupied, she quietly says, "You are welcome in the House of Ilmater, my Son. If you should be needing for anything in the temple, please ask myself or one of the other attendants in the chapel." Her speech momentarily hitches on the word "temple," as if she's embarrassed. She moves away to tend to some candles on the far wall.

Aside from the woman in white, there are two young men of very slender build (elves?) who are busy attending to some stained glass fixtures on the wall to your right (and the right of the door), assembling the plates in the main panel. The window, which is clearly decorative as it doesn't offer a view of the outside, depicts an odd and incomplete scene involving what looks to be a giant rat. The stained glass panels on your right depict typical Ilmaterian scenes of charity and empathy, healing and curing. Very standard fare to be sure. For some reason, as you look at these panels, you feel almost certain that you're being watched...

Daan, Approximately 1305 hours
The terrain itself is comfortable, and the glade smells strongly of pine tree and earth. As you head east out of the thicket, towards the South Road, you can see the men setting up their tents just outside the main gate. It'll be damn near impossible to get around them. About five tents sat outside the gate on it's western side, with another three outside to the east. The only real way to get into town from here, assuming you take the South Road, is to split the difference.

Over Caerrhen's stockade walls, you can see a large three story building with a number of windows on the upper floors, and a large, smoking chimney. As the foundry and the Miner's Tankard are clearly off to your northwest, this must be the Elk & Star, the famed inn of the half-elf, Rhistellius Dulacque, well known across Impiltur, Damara, and all the surrounding regions. As you start to continue towards the town, you can smell something burning from the area around the tents, and the laughter and the singing of the men is slowly turning into more worried cries and yells. Looking in their direction, you can see one of the largest tents smoking and burning.

Oskar Dankil, Approximately 1405 hrs
The Miner's Tankard, due north of the Foundry, is a boxy stone monument to the functional tendencies of dwarven architecture on the surface. Sturdy, there can surely be few problems with this building, although a pile of glass sits on the ground under a window on the eastern face of the building. Some kind of commotion has taken place their recently. Outside the front of the building is a small hitching post with a carefully scripted sign in Dwarven and Damaran, currently serving as an odd throne for a small grey and white cat, mewing plaintively. It has some blood in its fur, but does not appear to be injured itself upon casual inspection.

Dusty, and dimly lit, the inside of the Tankard is empty, with the exception of a stocky silver-bearded dwarf behind the large horseshoe-shaped bar in the back of its massive common room. He sees you and glowers. "Aye, an' well met, what c'n I do f'r y'?" As you mention the room and Keargynn Andelspar, he almost agitatedly points you out the door towards the Foundry, "Andelspar? y'c'n find'm in th'Foundry complex, most likely warkin' t'small forge. Y' t'llim that Draeg'r Bjorn'll needs his coin, eh? As f'r th'room, we're full, we are, take y'rself o'er to the bloomin' half-elf and his bloody Elk'n'St'r!"

OOCNext move Tuesday 16 July, subsequent moves on Thursday 18 July, and Saturday 20 July (pending the approval of all of you, naturally)...after that we should be on to a proper schedule. I have a prior commitment Monday night that precludes me from typing a new move that night, as it takes me roughly an hour to put all this together. :) Please do take the time to let me know about the schedule in the OOC thread.

Rorschach

First Post
Fezzin thanks Sir Zichard and follows the proprieter upstairs. Upon seeing that the room is satisfactory, he returns to the nearly empty bar to quaff an ale. All the while, he keeps his ears open for interesting conversation.

OOC: Basically, I'm looking for a place to insert myself into a conversation, or at least a way to garner some info about the vibe of the village.

drs

First Post
Zichard thanks the keeper for the room(s) and while doing so will ask if there is an establishment somewhere in town which is able to stable his mount. If there is such a facility in the town, Zichard will remove the more valuable items from his saddle bags and take the mount to the facility. If there is no such facility in town, Zichard will remove all his belongs from his steed and take them to his room, secure the rope which holds the steed and inquire about the hay. Once that business is done Zichard will order some sort of non-alcoholic drink and sit down with Fezzin. Upon sitting down Zichard says to the bar-person "Two towns back at Raril I had my prize steed stolen by a tricky adolescent, I have had no luck in tracking him down thus far, and would be much obliged if you had spotted this youth and my horse." If no information is gained Zichard will say "Very well, tis so", followed by a silent apology to Torm for his failure. Other than that, Zichard will just listen intently to any discussion that Fezzin might spark up, helping if needed in any translations.

OCC – So just tell me how much the drinks plus rooms were and I'll deduct that from Zichard's moneys. And just to let you know; on the stolen mount, I'm only in fact using that as a background story and I don't really intend on finding this boy and Zichard's old mount.

Last edited:

novyet

First Post
This temple seems much different from home, and I wonder what exactly the glass is supposed to show. I think it's time to ask those elves what it's supposed to be. I hope they understand something other than elven. Ezra thinks to himself.

"Excuse me sirs, but could you tell me what the stained glass you're working with will be showing, or perhaps you could lady priestess? I'm rather interested in religious art, and I'm intrigiued by this"

After attempting to get his questions answered, Ezra will walk around and examine each of the stained glass panels to examine the art, and see if he can figure out why it feels like he's being watched. After that he will take his leave of the temple and take himself and his horse to the nearest inn.

perivas

First Post
"Karok! Friend, sit and join me for a bit of breakfasting. So how do you like your new home. I gather that there's a steady bit of metalcasting in this town from the great heat. And that must mean a steady need for mining work and therefore a full tummy for the likes of you. A bit of hard and well-paced work is in order after your adventures." Yanis pauses to take a long, measured sip of his mead. "I suggest more action and less words on your part would serve you well in the future. I won't be here long to look after you. I was thinking of moving on tomorrow, if no real need for me pans out in this little town."

"Well, speak up. I didn't mean you can't talk. Out with it!" Yanis takes another long, measured sip of his mead.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Prologue (Move 3)

30 Flamerule 1372 DR, Caerrhen, Damara-Impiltur border
It is currently unseasonably warm and uncomfortable in northwestern Impiltur, with uncharacteristically high humidity. There is no noticeable wind.

Yanis Princetonson, Approximately 0910 hours
Karok pulls a chair up to the other edge of the bar's corner. After settling on a breakfast (eggs, cheese, mead) with Jannah , he looks around and reaches into his cloak with his left hand, pulling out a small object that he palms and keeps hidden from view. "Work is plentiful and, so far, it suits me. I'm much indebted to you for your aid, Yanis, and I know you won't be around Caerrhen forever, but I've talked to some men from the Foundry and the Mines (I've arranged to be staying in the dormitory on the second floor here) and it looks like everything should be fine." Nearly breathless, he's saved from trying to add onto his sentence by the appearance of his breakfast.

Placing it before him, Jannah gives the tab, "For the two of you, that'll be 3 silver, 4 copper each." As she talks, your eyes begin to glaze over. You blink. When they open, you see the entire inn burning, flames licking the walls, melting the mugs and glassware, the smell of charred food and wood from the kitchen. Jannah melts into a pile of viscous goo, while the skin of Karok's face begins to fester and ooze, his cloak turning a sickly yellow in the lights of the fire. The timbers above you begin to crack, fall, miner's families pouring out of the dormitory. The old miner on the far end of the bar cackles hideously, and starts to pull a squirming rat out from inside of his mouth...

"Yanis? Are you going to pay?" Karok's voice breaks the flames, and the Tankard seems to be back to normal. Both he and Jannah look downright puzzled. [Sanity Check: roll of 85 on d100; Yanis loses 2 sanity points from the vision.]

Sir Zichard Danilk, Fezzin Verghenheim, Approximately 1110 hours
The room itself is nothing terrifically special or offensive. In short, passable, comfortable, and reasonably secure. "So, y'be wantin f'r somewhere t'kep y'r harse?" Draegor looks at you thoughtfully. "Well, t'be fair wit' a man sich as y'rself, there's not a place in all Caerrhen in th'manner'f a stable. Jus' me pitching post and a similar sarvice at th'Elk & Star. Not much, but free, an' we can wark up some scraps f'r 's feed. Spakin' of which, the room'll run you an' Clangeddin's servant, y'r friend, 7 silvers for the night, that's 3 an' 5 coppers each. Long tarm residency negotiable, of carse, but no time off f'r gude behavior." After collecting the money, he heads down the stairs and to the bar.

Meanwhile, Fezzin has plopped himself down at the bar next to a rather old miner, who smells of strong ale. It's your guess that the elderly patron has been deep in his cups for the better part of the day. Jannah notices you, takes your order, and plops down a healthy looking ale. She smiles, "Now, Draegor's not wanting for this to get spread, but he's a policy of making sure that his brethren are treated well." She pauses for a second and adds, "Your first ale's free, as well as your companion's if he likes. That's all, so, well met, I'm sure and welcome to the Tankard."

At this, Draegor comes down from the second floor, followed shortly by Zichard, who goes to attend to his mount. When that's finished, he settles in next to you, and ends up ordering a cider of sorts. The cider is very aromatic and strangely bitter, but certainly not unpleasant.

In response to your inquiry about the horse, Draegor and Jannah plead ignorance, and even summon the cook, a man by the name of Arnich, to check with him. Not a one has seen the horse. Meanwhile, Fezzin, you notice that the old miner is showing a peculiar interest in the two of you. He's gangly and scruffy, with a tattered yellow cloak over heavily worn clothes. He looks like a typical drunk, with the exception of his eyes, which are bright and even somewhat menacing in their keenness.

Ezra Geonora, Approximately 1215 hours
The two men, clearly Moon Elves, as judging by their pale, blue speckled skin, and even more clearly twins, do indeed speak Damaran. Introducing themselves as Brothers Masathael and Isannhen, they bow to you. "A Brother in Ilmater is always well met." "The Yellow Rose is a most charitable and blessed order in the eyes of Ilmater." Traditional, almost formal greetings, to be sure, which, although nice, still do not help you tell which elf is who. As for the stained glass panel, neither is sure what it is supposed to be, although one of them does volunteer that "it came from far away, maybe from Athkatla or Calimport. A travelling merchant, on his way north to Bildoobaris in Narfell brought it to us with a writ from his holiness, Father Alixanather of Athkatla, to accept it as a gift for the temple." The other chimes in, motioning to the other panels on the other wall, "the rest of the panels were made in Lyrabar for us by the Ilmaterian glazier, Calannspyr Boranthel." Each time the two elves mention a name, they beam proudly, the silent one nodding profusely. By the moment, the two of them seem younger and younger. They beg your pardon, bow slightly, and return to their work.

The completed glass panels on the far wall are typical, in that you've seen the style and lines in some of the illuminated manuscripts that the monks back at the Monastery of the Yellow Rose spend so much time copying. You still have the distinct feeling that something is watching you, but the temple is nearly silent, excluding the ministrations of the woman in white and the work of the Elven twins. The largest plate itself is a scene depicting an Ilmaterian comforting the sick during a plague, very typical. [Spot Check: (roll 18) + (Wis +2) = 20] More interesting than the panels, however, is the odd dark shape behind the center panel. The thing behind it on the other hand, seems to be moving, which makes the panel's focus indistinct and sometimes draws attention away from the Ilmaterian and to the plague victims, particularly a yellow cloaked corpse in the back of the scene. As you study it, you become more and more certain that the shape is moving, almost pushing on the glass at times. No one else in the temple seems to have noticed this.

Oskar Dankil, Approximately 1415 hours
The Foundry Complex of Caerrhen is a walled enclave just south of the Miner's Tankard. A couple of middle-aged human toughs guard the gate, one slightly taller than the other, both overly serious; more flab than muscle, more attitude than aptitude, they've clearly passed their prime. Not that their prime ever consisted of more than harassing the local youths after a particularly vicious prank. The taller of the two men leans over you when you ask after Keargrynn Andlespar and grunts, "Andelspar? You'll find him in the Third Forge, smallest building in the enclave." He smirks at you with this last observation. Half chuckling to himself at his cleverness, he moves aside to let you pass, he snarls out the directions to the Third Forge: "Go all the way to the southeastern corner of the Foundry, all the way in the back." You can't help but notice that his partner has fallen fast asleep at his post.

The actual complex consists of five buildings. Just past the gate and to your right is the Administration Building of the Caerrhen Mines. Rather new, it is still covered with soot from the forges. On your left lies the Warehouse, guarded by a small group of rough looking men. These men look considerably more competent than the two toughs you encountered at the gates. Behind these three buildings are the three forges -- Forge One dominates most of the area, with the other two forges just to its left, Two sitting in front of Three. As compared to Caerrhen proper, the din and bustle of this complex is astounding. As you pass Forge Two, you hear something of a commotion within the building [Oskar made a Listen Check: (Roll 15) + (Wis 0) = 15]. As your head turns, the corpse of a badly charred dwarf flies out of one of the windows, quickly followed by a snarling creature in a flaming cloak.

[Distance from creature, 10 ft., Initiative: (Roll 12) + (Dex +1) = 13; Snarling Creature covers the 13, and acts first.] Cloak aflame, the creature snarls at you, a long studded tongue reaching out of its mouth, and lunges away, back and behind Forge Three. As it turns away, you see the hint of a pinkish tail peeking out from beneath its robe.

OOC: At the end of its move, the creature is at least 30 ft. away from you, and just about out of sight.

bluegreenone

First Post
Turn 2 Move

Daan eyed the collection of tents warily, trying to pick the least busy path to town. But the smell of smoke immediately caught his attention. One of the tents was burning. "I could avoid it", Daan thougt, "but Mielikki would not look kindly on me ignoring this, especially since fire is the source of danger here". Daan headed closer to the burning tent to get a better view of the situation.

RichardFannon

First Post
"To arms!" shouted Oskar in Common and repeated the cry in Dwarven. He gestured at the creature and muttered an incantation. A small bolt of light leapt from his fingers and darted towards the creature.

Struggling to free the hilt of his sword from his cloak, he moved to try and get a better look at the creature

[Firing a Magic Missile (obviously) and taking a partial move. Can't draw his short sword this turn as his BAB is only +0. He's going to try to keep it in sight, but not if it means running blindly around corners. Can I have a bit more info on the surroundings? Heights of buildings, distance of gaps in-between, etc.]

Remove ads