• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[CoC] Players not excited. Help, please!

Lazarus Long

First Post
I've been talking to one of my players about CoC and she's not that excited.

I know that she'd like the setting, she just doesn't want to lose so many characters. She doesn't like the way the characters are made. She especially doesn't like the massive damage save vs. death.

I've been thinking of the following changes to help the players get comfortable with the setting:

1. Classes. I'm thinking about changing some of the classes in d20 Fading Suns (Soldier, Noble (for a social-based character), techie, etc. I was thinking of stripping the saving throws and the BAB from those classes and using the way CoC does it (so you could have a defesive-based soldier (a guard or something)). This would give the PC's access to more feats and stuff.

2. Use the Def bonus alternate rule

3. Make Armor DR rather than go towards AC.

4. Use the money system from Puld d20 in Polyhedran.

I know that this will change the feel of the game a lot- almost making it a different game. But I'm planning on a X-files/Millennium-type game, which lends itself to more heroic adventures, imo.

What do you guys think?

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Perhaps what she needs to realize (and you ned to explain to her) is that in the world of Cthulu, as opposed to D&D, combat is something to be avoided at all costs. In CoC, violence should be the last resort of a desperate man.

Crothian

First Post
Well, the defense bonus will help. Also, you don't have to run the type of campaign that goes through characters on a weekly basis. Just make sure the PCs realize that fighting is ussually the wrong solution.

Pelosan Emperor

First Post
You might also look into the wound/vitality "hit point" system found in Star Wars. I don't know if it would be appropriate to your style of play, but it could work.

mmadsen

First Post
I've been talking to one of my players about CoC and she's not that excited. I know that she'd like the setting, she just doesn't want to lose so many characters.

If she'd like the setting, but she doesn't like the high lethality, then...play a horror game without the outrageously high lethality.

She doesn't like the way the characters are made.

What does that mean?

She especially doesn't like the massive damage save vs. death.

Remind her that she doesn't even have 10 hit points. Then remind her that she's not supposed to go head to head with monsters; she's playing an investigator.

I've been thinking of the following changes to help the players get comfortable with the setting:...

Although I like some of those suggestions, I think your player needs to see that this isn't D&D with even nastier monsters and weak PCs. It's a different game with different expectations and a different tone. You're not supposed to go door to door, slaying Orcs, then Gnolls, then Bugbears, until you're a superhero.

It doesn't have to be bleak, but it certainly isn't Herc and Xena.

Lizard

Explorer
A simpler method might be to use Spycraft as the core game, but have the players deal with cultists&Cthulhu rather than mad scientists and arms dealers.

Skywalker

Adventurer
This reminds me of a chicken and egg situation. Good and sensible Cthulhu investigators can survive for a long time (even in the BRP version). Our group played it quite a bit and we had to develop our problem solving skills and act more intelligently and responsibly. By the end we had a good survival rate.

Survival is often determined by playing style not the system. So by making changes to the system you are really just allowing for the playing style to continue unchanged (from D&D by the sounds of it).

If this is what you want to do then I would probably use Spycraft or look out for Chaosium's Pulp Cthulhu d20 supplement as both support high adventure styles that you are looking for.

Vhane

First Post
If she doesn't want to write up a lotta investigators, just write one with a high dex and take improved Init, because you dont have to out run the elder evil, only your friends.

On a serious note ask her if she would run the ringer. Her job is to lure the other PCs to their demise, she can be tough and since shes already a patsy to evil no san checks, if shes a good roleplayer its win/win for you both.

Last edited:

Vhane

First Post
Cant edit the other one keeps timing out, so.....

On a serious note ask her if she would run the ringer. Her job is to lure the other PCs to their demise, she can be tough and since shes already a patsy to evil no san checks, if shes a good roleplayer its win/win for you both.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Lizard said:
A simpler method might be to use Spycraft as the core game, but have the players deal with cultists&Cthulhu rather than mad scientists and arms dealers.

That's a GOOD suggestion. You could do a campaign more Dark*MAtter than traditional Cthulhu. Investigators could have hope, and they could even win sometimes :)

Spycraft is great for such a campaing. In fact, Spycraft is great. Add Cthumlhu cultist and monsters and voilà, all works great!

Remove ads