• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[CoC] Players not excited. Help, please!

Eben

First Post
I second that, Skywalker.
I cna understand why your player wouldn't be interested in a game with a high body count. I think it ruins the story. But in a horror game, there has to be a threat. If you know you can crawl through that cavern filled with deep ones, kill the sorcerer and have a fair chance of getting back out, where is the horror? The horror should come from the realazition that something is amis in yonder cave, but you have no way of preventing it.
I like the massive damage rule. Keeps your players on edge and it should make them (and anyone running the adventure) realize that violence is not the way.

Lazarus Long

First Post
hi everyone,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'll have to take a look at spycraft, I've read the reviews and it sounds like an amazing game.

I think my player isn't objecting to the horror genre, in fact I think it might appeal to her more than D&D Hack-n-slash (which is what the other players like, whom I'm not sure I'll run CoC with).

Question: what would be the difference between using Spycraft classes and using Fading Suns classes with changes? I've only barely paged through spycraft, so I'm a bit ignorant.

MMadsen:

My player likes classes. She told me that she likes the idea of being able to look at a character quickly and have a general idea of what that character can do. And.... she loves feats ;)

My players tend to get very attached to their characters, and they dislike making new ones. They're the only Players I've known that don't like that aspect of the game. So, with the high lethality of CoC, I'd soon not have anyone intersted in playing. Sure, they're investigators, but mistakes happen.

Vocenoctum

First Post
For the massive damage, perhaps change it to "it reduces you to -5 hp" instead of death?

Also, if it's just classes, write up say, 6 of the professions in CoC as classes :)

I'm also thinking of reintroducing Dodge to CoC, perhaps it's only available as a crossclass skill (dex based ofc) and instead of taking 10 on AC, you have to roll. So, your AC is 1d20 +dodge.

Knocking a couple skills from the list in order to give a weapon proficency might also work, say for the Soldier.

Remove ads