• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[CoC] POST YOUR CULTS HERE!!

Angelsboi

First Post
Basic
ok i have an idea for a cult. My PBP game is taking place in Atlanta 1999. There are 2 people Danielle and Janson who run a local pagan bookstore called the Dark Veil of the Moon. They also have their own house out in Buckhead where they hold rituals and covens. Their covenstead is called The Hearth of the Moon. They also put time and are locally funded by government for a group called Y.I.P.P.E! Youths In need of Part time Parenting Everday!. Basically its like a Big Brothers/Sisters program.

The Dark Stuff
Firstly, Janson is gay and tends to seduce the young boys of the coven and YIPPE! Both he and Danielle target the 15 to 20 year olds who are goth, lead alternative lifestyles, come from broken families, etc. After all, they are adults and can by them alcohol and cigaretts and they can learn magick!

Secondly, Danielle and Janson are doing this at the bidding of Narytholtep (or however you spell it). Danielle used to be christian but it let her down. Same with paganism and a couple others. Till she heard about the Old Ones. Now she uses her knowledge of various religions (as does Janson) to manipulate and corrupt the youth of today. Subtle? Yes. Evil? Very.

If they are afraid one person will go to the police, that person usually leaves with hugs and words of blessing. But they never make it far. They usually dissapear or wind up dead in an ally with a crazed killer usually confessing and then in court saying he never said that.

What do you guys think?

Lazarus Long

First Post
Its properly creepy... and borders on disgusting (which is good in CoC!).

But... its missing something, I think.

Personally, I wouldn't have them directed by Nylacartholop (or whatever ;)), since they seem to be a bit too small-time for such a big hitter in the Mythos. I personally would layer it a bit more:

Yippe would be influenced by, say, a national sect, which is controlled by a corporation, which is controlled by "Arkham Industries" (a holding company that's based in another country), which has a board of directors that are the true cult of Nylacatholop.

This would, in my opinion, make the small cult easy to defeat (well, as easy as anything is in Cthulhu), but the menace is still around. This would also let you introduce long-term baddies (maybe a rep from the natoinal sect visits while the investigators are investigating).

All in all, I really like the idea, but I feel it doesn't go far enough.

Oh yeah- give us more info on the type of rituals and stuff that the cult uses. Are they authentic, or are they madeup by the people above them to keep the cult busy or maybe the ritual is one that does something other than what the cult thinks (maybe they got the ritual from the national sect, but, instead of, say, enhancing their ability to make love, it really binds their sol to an artifact).

Just some ideas... :)

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Lazarus Long said:
Yippe would be influenced by, say, a national sect, which is controlled by a corporation, which is controlled by "Arkham Industries" (a holding company that's based in another country), which has a board of directors that are the true cult of Nylacatholop.

I'll see your Arkham Industries, and go one better. We already have in CoC the corporation NWI (New World Industries), which appears in the 1920s campaign "Fungi From Yuggoth" and the 1990s campaign "The Stars Are Right". In the former, they appear as a rather generic cult, whereas in the latter NWI is a major corporation with international reach. They're heavily into eugenics and selective breeding (one family "rules" NWI, the Chandlers, said to be direct descendants of Nephren-Ka (HPL's evil pharaoh). And yes, the Chandlers are worshippers of Nyarlathotep. Though in TSAR, they did quite a bit of experimenting with Shub-Niggurath stuff, as well.

Angelsboi

First Post
oh i get it ok hows this ...

A mysterious fledgling company is on the rise and they are putting their tenta ... er ... fingers into many smaller companies buying them out.

One of them happened to the Dark Veil of the Moon and thus began the chain of corruption

(insert Pentex or Umbrella for your choice of Poison)

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
For those who want cults with documentation...

Here are some intresting 'cults' that you might be able to introduce into your CoC game. However, I must warn you that the authors of this documetnations seem to have already failed their sanity checks before writing their books.

The Church of the SubGenius
http://www.subgenius.com/

Click on the word "Intro" on the pyramid. It makes for some very intresting reading. The word of Bob is not too hard to understand, but very difficult to read. The Church was founded in 1983. To my knowledge, it is the worlds only For Profit Religion.

The Discordian Society
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/i-v.html
This enlightened group predates the Church of the SubGenius. Fnord. Malcalypse the Younger is much easier to read then understand then Bob Dobbs, but it is exponentially more difficult to extract any sort of coherent idea behind his writings.

END COMMUNICATION

Nebin

Explorer
You forgot about the Gnome Love Cult, where all the cultist have to invent new positions for the Gnomish Kama Sutra. Our head priest is a rather tall Gnome called Monte

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
I did not forget the Cult of Gnomish Carnality. However, that is pure AD&D. The SubGenius and Discordian Cults are more applicable to CoC.

Also, unlike the elusive Cult of Gnomish Carnality, I was able to supply a link to documentation. However, should I find any relevant documentation regarding the Cult of Gnomish Carnality, I will post such to this thread for the sake of completness.

END COMMUNICATION

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads