• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CODA TNs to d20 DCs

Tranquilis

Explorer
I've been toying with converting the wonderful narrative starship combat from CODA into d20. Although I like CODA a lot, I own a tremendous amount of d20 material and much of that material can, with little work, dovetail with ADB's Prime Directive d20 Modern. Plus, CODA and d20 are so similar to me (*ducking*), that I'd just be running CODA as a d20 game inadvertently in a short period of time.

With that said, does anyone have any advice on how to start? I know that the math would have me multiply a CODA "stat" by 1.6 (1 on 2d6 being 1.6 on a 1d20), but a cursory look at the narrative starship combat rules seems to indicate that I just need to compare CODA TNs to d20 DCs; I'm less confident about that.

If I use the math, the d20 DCs may be a bit high: a TN 10 (Routine) becomes a DC 16 (Tough). However, if I just convert TNs directly to DCs (a TN 10 is a DC 10), it doesn't seem to go far enough since TNs seem to peak at 25 (Virtually Impossible) and DCs peak at 40* (Nearly Impossible).

*Which, interestingly, is 25 x 1.6!

I guess I may need a bit of guidance on skill DCs and levels - like, what is considered an average DC for a 1st level character, 3rd level, 15th level, etc. That may determine how I scale it. If a maneuver takes a DC 30+ to pull off, obviously a 1st level character won't be pulling it off! Still, if it takes a 15th level character to do it, well... we may never see that maneuver performed.

Maybe too much info, but:
To add to the problem, the Deflector Shield Protection of a starship is in effect the TN to hit the ship! I really don't want to mess with the published stats, although one stab at this problem had me adding "2" (1.6 rounded up) to the published DSP (although I can't recall the logic right now).

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated! Narrative starship combat is the way to go for an RPG and I love what Decipher did.

Remove ads