• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cold remedies?

Lefferts

First Post
First winter with a little one bringing all sorts of nasty bugs home from daycare. What cold remedies work for other people? I have found plenty that help mask symptoms, but I want something that will help break these things without having to go get antibiotics.

Thanks,
Brian

Torm

Explorer
A friend of mine recommends turning the heat up, throwing extra covers on the bed, and sweating it out. It DOES seem to help, but it isn't very comfortable.

Note: You may be against antibiotics, but DO go see a doctor before it gets too bad. I damn near killed myself this May by waiting too long.....

Lefferts

First Post
Torm said:
A friend of mine recommends turning the heat up, throwing extra covers on the bed, and sweating it out. It DOES seem to help, but it isn't very comfortable.

Note: You may be against antibiotics, but DO go see a doctor before it gets too bad. I damn near killed myself last May by waiting too long.....

With a fever, that's about the last thing you want to do. My wife was up to 105 last night, so I made her take a cold shower and eat popsicles.

orchid blossom

Explorer
105 is time to be at the doctor. It's dangerous to your health and is worse than a simple cold.

There's not really much you can do for a cold, they just have to run their course. So it's just the common sense things. Plenty of rest, fluids, OJ, chicken soup. I find hot showers help with the congestion. Also those nose strips help at night with getting a little bit better sleep.

My husband also found that rubbing a little carmex on his nose when it was getting sore from blowing was soothing.

Lefferts

First Post
orchid blossom said:
105 is time to be at the doctor. It's dangerous to your health and is worse than a simple cold.
I called for her today and they didn't have any doctors in the office. Luckily, we got the fever down, but I still want her to go see the doctor tomorrow.

orchid blossom said:
My husband also found that rubbing a little carmex on his nose when it was getting sore from blowing was soothing.
What is carmex? I'm not familiar with it and it sounds like something my poor nose might like. :)

Zappo

Explorer
I'm a fan of turning the heat up, putting extra covers in the bed, get stone drunk on quality rum, and sweat it out. ;)

...but yeah, only if you don't have fever.

Lefferts

First Post
Torm said:
Just the thing for chapped lips and fever blisters, although it would probably help moisturize a nose, too. I just use a little petroleum jelly for that, though - cheaper.
Thanks for the link. Petroleum jelly sounds like a good idea too, but the only jar in the house occassionally goes on my daughter's butt, so I don't think I want it near my nose. :lol:

Xath

Moder-gator
"Cold and Flu Shock" and "Emergen-C".

Take both of those twice a day if you feel a cold coming on. It gives your immune system a boost and outs any bug.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I've got a cold right now. I get the same darned cold every time -- it's so predictable it's sickening. (Pun intended?) Though I long thought was a sinus infection, my doctor has repeatedly told me it's a virus and can't be treated with antibiotics.

Starts with a sore throat -- a painkiller like ibuprofen or aspirin helps with that. The next step is getting very congested -- not snotty, just swollen nasal passages. This time around I'm using a nasal spray

http://health.yahoo.com/drug/d04186a1;_ylt=AiPVgXJ.h8ka1fEvWmw5uAjxurcF

and it's keeping me very open, which is helping with my throat and I hope it will help avoid the next step, where i usually am forced to breathe through my mouth for many hours and then the cold moves to my lungs. Maybe if I can keep breathing through my nose the lung thing will never happen. If it does I'll need to take something to losen chest congestion at that point.

Remove ads