• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Collected Core Handbook Errata

Underage AOLer

First Post
Imban said:
Yeah, but every single other construct is immune to disease and poison, except for warforged, which are explicitly living constructs and have a weird and involved explanation of why they are not.

So as it stands, you can't poison arcane stone golems, but you can poison divine stone golems.

I guess I didn't know that. Odd. We'll have to wait for the response I suppose?

Angrygodofmilk

First Post
Errata...

Encumbrance. I don't always use it, but when it crops up, I want it to make sense. Check out Carrying, Lifting, and Dragging on page 222 of the PH.

Encumbrance = Strength x10, x20, and x50 for a normal lord, heavy load (slowed), and maximum drag load (slowed and no difficult terrain) respectively.

Now apply those calculations to the heaviest and lightest PH races with average height and weight...

--Medium dragonborn; 6'5" tall; 270 pounds; 10 Strength.
--Small halfling; 4' tall; 80 pounds; 10 Strength.

Both of these races can carry exactly the same amount (100/200/500 lbs.). If that isn't nonsensical enough, the 10 Strength halfling (above) can carry 20 lbs. more than their own weight with the greatest of ease.

There's keeping the rules simple and then there's simplifying them too much. If encumbrance is so unimportant, then Wizards should at least base their calculations on character weight *and* Strength in some manner. Perhaps the printed ranges of character weight can be the base values for encumbrance.

If these encumbrance rules stand, not even a warhorse can carry a naked dragonborn of average weight more than 2 squares per move action (see Mounts and Transport, also on page 222 of the PH). In addition, while there is a +25% encumbrance modifier for quadrupeds, there are no multipliers for size.

I think encumbrance might of been one of those things that was overlooked in the final edit.

Last edited:

The_Fan

First Post
P. 80, "Come and Get It" Fighter attack 7. Nearly identical to the higher level power Warrior's Urging, which has the Charm keyword. This should also have the Charm keyword, or neither should.

Ziana

First Post
Noticed something interesting on p105:

Careful Attack
Hit: 1[W] damage (melee) or 1[W] damage (ranged).
Increase damage to 2[W] (melee) or 2[W] (ranged) at 21st
level.

Twin Strike
Hit: 1[W] damage per attack.
Increase damage to 2[W] at 21st level.
It's like they meant to add Str/Dex modifier to Careful Attack, but forgot, or removed it and didn't reduce the Hit field to a single entry as it is with Twin Strike.

If damage is 1[W] for both melee and ranged, there's no reason to list them separately. Since Careful Attack is mathematically inferior to Twin Strike, it's very possible they omitted adding ability modifier damage here.

fba827

Adventurer
Perhaps a small oversight, but ...
PHB p49. No mention of age/lifespan for the Tielfing (though it is mentioned for all the other races)

pukunui

Legend
The scale for the map of Nentir Vale (which, btw, sounds too much like Elsir Vale for my tastes) on p. 206 of the DMG seems off. It states on p. 208 under "Dwarf" that Hammerfast is "a week's travel distant" from Fallcrest, but judging by the map's scale, even with a dwarf's slower overland travel speed, it would only take 4-5 days to travel from Fallcrest to Hammerfast.

Personally, I'm not surprised that the scale is off. WotC isn't all that good at marrying map scales with distances mentioned in fluff text. (They're also not all that good at keeping map scales consistent -- some of the close-up map scales in Red Hand of Doom didn't match the main Elsir Vale map scale.)

Bigassgeek

First Post
Wizards' Implement Mastery - Orb

PHB pg. 157, describing the effects of using an orb as a Mastered Implement:

"Alternatively, you can choose to extend the duration of an effect created by a wizard at-will-spell (such as cloud of daggers or ray of frost) that would otherwise end at the end of your current turn. The effect instead ends at the end of your next turn."

The problem is, the Cloud of Daggers and Ray of Frost spells effects already end at the end of the wizard's next turn. Either the spell listings are incorrect, or the description of the effect of orb mastery is.

Seeker_of_Truth

First Post
Bigassgeek said:
PHB pg. 157, describing the effects of using an orb as a Mastered Implement:

"Alternatively, you can choose to extend the duration of an effect created by a wizard at-will-spell (such as cloud of daggers or ray of frost) that would otherwise end at the end of your current turn. The effect instead ends at the end of your next turn."

The problem is, the Cloud of Daggers and Ray of Frost spells effects already end at the end of the wizard's next turn. Either the spell listings are incorrect, or the description of the effect of orb mastery is.

You use the orb the round after you've used the at-will.

Oompa

First Post
Angrygodofmilk said:
Errata...

Encumbrance. I don't always use it, but when it crops up, I want it to make sense. Check out Carrying, Lifting, and Dragging on page 222 of the PH.

Encumbrance = Strength x10, x20, and x50 for a normal lord, heavy load (slowed), and maximum drag load (slowed and no difficult terrain) respectively.

Now apply those calculations to the heaviest and lightest PH races with average height and weight...

--Medium dragonborn; 6'5" tall; 270 pounds; 10 Strength.
--Small halfling; 4' tall; 80 pounds; 10 Strength.

Both of these races can carry exactly the same amount (100/200/500 lbs.). If that isn't nonsensical enough, the 10 Strength halfling (above) can carry 20 lbs. more than their own weight with the greatest of ease.

There's keeping the rules simple and then there's simplifying them too much. If encumbrance is so unimportant, then Wizards should at least base their calculations on character weight *and* Strength in some manner. Perhaps the printed ranges of character weight can be the base values for encumbrance.

If these encumbrance rules stand, not even a warhorse can carry a naked dragonborn of average weight more than 2 squares per move action (see Mounts and Transport, also on page 222 of the PH). In addition, while there is a +25% encumbrance modifier for quadrupeds, there are no multipliers for size.

I think encumbrance might of been one of those things that was overlooked in the final edit.

Maybe they just did it to make it easier.. And why shouldnt someone that is smaller be able to carry as much as an normal person?
And as i can remember, it is stated in the phb what the carrying load is for an horse..

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads