• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Collected Core Handbook Errata

James McMurray

First Post
Oompa said:
No you use the orb when the spell is cast, only it lasts an round longer..

Alternatively, you can choose to extend the duration
of an effect created by a wizard at-will spell (such as
cloud of daggers or ray of frost) that would otherwise end
at the end of your current turn. The effect instead ends
at the end of your next turn.

If you're using it on Ray of Frost or Cloud of Daggers, you have to wait until your next turn, because that's when the spell will "end at the end of your current turn."

I'll have to keep that in mind. I did it wrong last session, and it could save me an orb use in the future.

Angrygodofmilk

First Post
Oompa said:
And why shouldnt someone that is smaller be able to carry as much as an normal person?
Since when has a 10 year old been able to carry the same amount as an adult? You can't divorce physical mass from the equation. That should go without saying.

Oompa said:
And as i can remember, it is stated in the phb what the carrying load is for an horse..
That was my point. A normal load for a warhorse (going by their Carrying Capacity on page 222 of the PH) is 262 pounds.

The average weight of a dragonborn (going by their racial entry on page 34 of the PH) is 270 pounds.

A warhorse is therefore always "slowed" (reduced to Speed 2) when mounted by a dragonborn of average weight ... and that's not even counting their equipment. I'm willing to bet that Wizards simply didn't put those two together before the PH was sent off to the printers.

Size matters. This problem is easily solved with an errata that adjusts the multipliers for normal loads, heavy loads, and maximum drag loads by creature size.

Last edited:

Cryptos

First Post
Don't know if this has been added yet:

Per a recent thread, someone had trouble interpreting the level 2 Wizard Utility Jump.

It's missing language that makes it clear how it is used in combat.

The Move Action appears to be so that the Wizard can use the spell as part of his action to jump. But he can also use it on another creature. It does not say whether this would be done on the creature's next athletics check, his next move action, or whether he gets a free jumping motion as soon as the wizard casts it on the wizard's turn.

It's not clear at all.

My belief is that it does not grant a free jumping move on the Wizard's turn if used on another creature in combat. That's a bit much for a level 2 utility, as it would give both an enhancement and a free move. Most level 2 utilities of that nature give one or the other - an enhancement bonus or an extra shift-like move, not both.

Thread Link

(Incidentally, Cause Fear creates the same issues but I'd imagine it's already been mentioned.)

Last edited:

VannATLC

First Post
Angrygodofmilk said:
Since when has a 10 year old been able to carry the same amount as an adult? You can't divorce physical mass from the equation. That should go without saying.

That was my point. A normal load for a warhorse (going by their Carrying Capacity on page 222 of the PH) is 262 pounds.

The average weight of a dragonborn (going by their racial entry on page 34 of the PH) is 270 pounds.

A warhorse is therefore always "slowed" (reduced to Speed 2) when mounted by a dragonborn of average weight ... and that's not even counting their equipment. I'm willing to bet that Wizards simply didn't put those two together before the PH was sent off to the printers.

Size matters. This problem is easily solved with an errata that adjusts the multipliers for normal loads, heavy loads, and maximum drag loads by creature size.

Actually, it really means that a Dragonborn needs something stronger than a horse.

A RL horse should carry no more than 20% of its bodyweight, or so. A charger or horse with similiar bone-density can hold a bit more, but not a lot. Clydesdale and similiar draught-horse breeds made good warhorse base stock, due to size/density and stamina.

You'll be damnably lucky to find a horse that can carry a 270lb weight for long, and once you add tack and gear, you're going to be breaking that horse.

Sooo.. Dragonborn needs bigger/different mounts. Its not a problem with the Mounts carrying capacity.

Dragonborn are also freaking huge, the average weight being 120kgs.

Angrygodofmilk

First Post
VannATLC said:
A RL horse should carry no more than 20% of its bodyweight, or so. A charger or horse with similiar bone-density can hold a bit more, but not a lot. Clydesdale and similiar draught-horse breeds made good warhorse base stock, due to size/density and stamina.
Without different Carrying Capacity multipliers for larger than Medium and smaller than Medium creatures, the encumbrance inconsistently gets progressively worse. For example, using the rules as printed, small kobolds and huge titans with the same Strength can supposedly carry the same amount of weight. Something tells me that kobolds can't quite hurl 2d8 damage rocks 20 squares in the same way that earth titans can, no matter how much a Strength a kobold gains...

Henrix

Explorer
Can we please relegate the discussion of the encumbrance rules to another thread? It is clearly not just a printing error, and if it needs changing it is a rule change and not appropriate for this thread.

Underage AOLer

First Post
I've updated the first post, except for Cryptos' addition, which I'll get to after class.

As for those that dislike the encumbrance rules: I'll echo Henrix in saying that it seems like a discussion to be had in its own thread, and I shan't add it to the first post until someone from WotC comments. Maybe it should be sent to customer service for an inquiry?

Good day.

loseth

First Post
I've been reverse engineering the humanoids in the MM and I think that the Bugbear Strangler's HP were hit by some sort of type-o or multiplication error:

The Bugear Strangler is one of three level 6 humanoid lurkers. They all have similar attack bonuses (10 or 11), but the Bugbear has slightly better damage, speed and defences. However, although almost all other humanoid lurkers conform exactly to the HP formula 6 + CON + 6/level, the Bugbear violates this formula severely (it's got 24 extra HP than you would expect using the formula). As this is not balanced by lower stats elsewhere (in fact, as mentioned above, the bugbear is slightly superior in its other stats), I have to assume it was an error.

Tharian

First Post
DMG, P200, stats for Barstomun Strongbeard

All attributes have the bonuses based as if the +0 is at 6 instead of 10 (basically 2 higher than they should be).

Same holds true for stats for the NPCs on pp. 203 (Orest Naerumar), 204 (Armos Kamroth), and 205 (Kelson).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads