• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Collected Core Handbook Errata

StormCrow42

Explorer
Question:
Is each additional Quarry subject to the extra damage each round? IE: does only one Quarry take the damage, which is one reading of the rules on page 104, or does each Quarry that you attack that round take the extra damage?

Customer service response:
If you have multiple Quarries, and you hit multiple Quarries, you choose which one takes the extra damage.

PHB pg. 104

"If you can make multiple attacks in a round, you decide which attack to apply the extra damage to after all the attacks are rolled."

Should read

"If you attack multiple quarries in a round, you decide which quarry to apply the extra damage to."

The fact that you can make multiple attacks, and that the attacks are rolled is totally irrelevant to the situation.

You're missing the point of this rule. This rule allows you to decide to apply your Hunter's Quarry to the attack roll that was a critical hit, therefore maximizing it with the crit.

silentounce

First Post
You're missing the point of this rule. This rule allows you to decide to apply your Hunter's Quarry to the attack roll that was a critical hit, therefore maximizing it with the crit.

No, the only thing you maximize with a crit is the weapon damage. You don't maximize sneak attack damage or any additional rolls like that. The Hunter's Quarry is "extra damage." You only maximize damage that "you can roll with
your attack." Also, since you apply the HQ damage AFTER the attack is rolled, it couldn't benefit from the maximized damage any way. In any case, they should have explained this better because I can see how you got your interpretation.

However, I have a feeling that you'll disagree.

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
No, the only thing you maximize with a crit is the weapon damage. You don't maximize sneak attack damage or any additional rolls like that. The Hunter's Quarry is "extra damage." You only maximize damage that "you can roll with
your attack." Also, since you apply the HQ damage AFTER the attack is rolled, it couldn't benefit from the maximized damage any way.
You are misinformed about how crit damage works. Everything is maximized except any dice rolled due to the hit being a crit. This has been clarified more than once.

silentounce

First Post
You are misinformed about how crit damage works. Everything is maximized except any dice rolled due to the hit being a crit. This has been clarified more than once.

Well, I'm sorry that I missed it then "more than once." I can believe that, but can you show me where this has been clarified? Just telling me that I'm wrong isn't much help.

Because that's not how I read it in the book. And I just reread it when I made that post. Also, part of my point was that the HQ damage is applied AFTER the attack. It's extra damage. It doesn't even say that the attack is required to hit. That's ridiculous. It seems to me, RAW, that you'll damage your HQ target every round as long as you attack it even if you miss.

UPDATE: This is under the Critical section, pg 278 PHB.
"Extra Damage: Magic weapons and implements, as well as high crit weapons, can increase the damage you deal when you score a critical hit. If this extra damage is a die roll, it’s not automatically maximum damage; you add the result of the roll."

Bolding was mine. Look at the HQ definition on page 104. "Once per round, you deal extra damage to your quarry." Yes, I know that magic weapons, implements, and high crit weapons were the only things mentioned, but the section is titled, "Extra Damage".

Emphasis mine.

Last edited:

Ganadai

First Post

It doesn't actually say that anywhere, your just interpreting it that way, because that's what the rule implies. However, the rule as written also implies that if you have multiple quarries, and hit them all with a single attack like Quarry’s Bane, you can apply the damage from Hunter's Quarry to all the quarries hit by the attack. The rule needs to be clarified because dozens of people have posted asking if Hunter's Quarry + Battlefield Experience + Quarry's bane = uber damage against all 5+ of your quarry, but it doesn't as customer service has pointed out.

The fact that you can make multiple attacks, and that the attacks are rolled is totally irrelevant to the situation. You always apply the damage once a round to a single quarry. Which attack is totally up to you and does not need to be stated because it is irrelevant.

[EDIT] If you want to argue this further I suggest we take it to one of the other dozens of Hunter's Quarry threads.
[/EDIT]

Last edited:

Ganadai

First Post
UPDATE: This is under the Critical section, pg 278 PHB.
"Extra Damage: Magic weapons and implements, as well as high crit weapons, can increase the damage you deal when you score a critical hit. If this extra damage is a die roll, it’s not automatically maximum damage; you add the result of the roll."

Bolding was mine. Look at the HQ definition on page 104. "Once per round, you deal extra damage to your quarry." Yes, I know that magic weapons, implements, and high crit weapons were the only things mentioned, but the section is titled, "Extra Damage".

The term "extra damage" here refers to damage you roll after you score a critical hit. You do not roll the extra damage from magic weapons and implements, as well as high crit weapons until after scoring the critical hit. You roll the damage from hunter's quarry, sneak attack, etc. before scoring the critical.

Quote from this thread.
Customer Service said:
Q: On a critical hit, are the die rolls for Sneak Attack or Hunter's Quarry maximized as well?

A: Yes, both of those attack types are maximized. What is NOT maximized is the any damage that is assigned from a magical weapon on critical hits only. Those are listed with each weapon type and rolled each time a critical is landed. For instance if you take a look at Vicious Weapons it deals 1d12 per plus on a critical. A +4 vicious weapon deals max damage + random 4d12 roll.

silentounce

First Post
The term "extra damage" here refers to damage you roll after you score a critical hit. You do not roll the extra damage from magic weapons and implements, as well as high crit weapons until after scoring the critical hit. You roll the damage from hunter's quarry, sneak attack, etc. before scoring the critical.

Quote from this thread.

Thanks, but having seen how inconsistent CS reps are in their answers to questions I take what they say only as a recommendation. I've seen too many CS reps give conflicting responses to the same questions. Enhanced Spellbook and replacement powers for one example.

But this thread isn't for this type of discussion so let's just leave me to wallow in my ignorance.

redrover

First Post
More on Equipment

p222. Equipment Table

Here is a list of unanswered equipment questions from the table on p222.

1. Backpack (empty): How much does it hold (in volume and weight)?

2. Flint & Steel: What type of action is used to light a fire or a torch in combat? Is there a success roll and, if so, what is a fair standard default?

(The question of whether or not we are going to see Ed. 3.0 tindertwigs may bear on this answer.)

3. Chest (empty): How much does it hold (in volume and weight)?

4. Grappling Hook: How far can you throw a grappling hook with a line attached? What is a good default number for a successful throw that anchors a rope for climbing?

5. Flask (empty): How much does it hold (in volume and weight)?

6. Spellbook: These are available, and wizards presumably write in them. Quills/pens/ink are not on the equipment list. Are they free? If not, how much do they cost?

7. Tent: How many characters can sleep in this tent? (One? Two? More?)

Slightly off-topic, but should be noted:

Waterskin: How much liquid does this hold? (If you assume the weight is for a full skin, it works out to about two quarts, but this should have been made explicit.)

Some info is buried on p262 of the PH—not much use to players who have to find the information in a hurry, or those new to the books.

Candle: How long does it burn? How much light does it produce?
Lantern: How long does a flask of oil last? How much light does the lantern produce? (The absence of oil flasks has been noted already.)

While many experienced DMs can easily deal with these, failure to define basic equipment functions is something of a design gaffe. Also, if no defaults are provided, what happens when you want a group of DMs ruling the same way (as in a tournament event)?

Seeker_of_Truth

First Post
Thanks, but having seen how inconsistent CS reps are in their answers to questions I take what they say only as a recommendation. I've seen too many CS reps give conflicting responses to the same questions. Enhanced Spellbook and replacement powers for one example.

But this thread isn't for this type of discussion so let's just leave me to wallow in my ignorance.

I doubt it will change anyone's opinion, but it's covered in the FAQ http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...y5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

silentounce

First Post
I doubt it will change anyone's opinion, but it's covered in the FAQ http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...y5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Thank you, it's been a while since I looked at that. But that just proves my argument about CS. You can find threads on here that gave different answers from them about the Spellbook issues. But thanks for that. Hmm... it appears that they answer the crit issue as well, maybe that's what you were talking about.

"11. Which dice do I maximize when scoring a critical hit?

"Only the dice you would normally roll to calculate damage are maximized. If another bonus (like from a weapon or feat) causes you to roll extra damage dice when scoring a critical hit, those dice are rolled as normal. "

Looks to me like HQ wouldn't be maximized because you woulndn't "normally" roll them as party of the attack.

Thanks again!!!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads