College Football 2006

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Dimwhit said:
That's who I forgot! I'd probably slide them into #7 or #8.

Why did Ohio State make it to #2 after last night!?!?

Just as an FYI, Gator coach Urban Meyer made comments after the game to the effect of "Let's go play [Boise State] next week!" After which he said, "I love Boise State, but I wouldn't want to do that. We're done."

I think his respect for the Boise State program is quite high - especially since his experience at Utah was similar.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Crothian said:
Of course, I live up to my bets and the better team won.

I'm glad the Gators didn't win on a fluke play or a bad call. Although some of the officiating was questionable. They missed a hold on the opening OSU kickoff return, and they missed the replay review on the 2nd Gator touchdown (his knee was down before the ball crossed the plane).

As a Gator fan, what was scary was at one point Ohio State had 3 or 4 penalties and the Gators had none. The Gators were terrible with penalties this year, so to see another team get more than them was weird. Also, I knew it was the Gators night when we actually made *two* 40+ yard field goals. (He only made 4 field goals in the regular season, and none over 40.)

Dimwhit

Explorer
DaveMage said:
Here's the final AP poll for those who are curious.

I don't quite understand how 2-loss LSU is ranked so highly, but they didn't ask me.

No kidding. Beating up on the Irish means very little. Of course, I put them at #5. And why is Wisconsin so low!? Polls rarely make sense to me.

DaveMage said:
I think his respect for the Boise State program is quite high - especially since his experience at Utah was similar.

That's a good point, and a good thing. He knows what it's like being with a good mid-major team. We need more coaches in the big BCS schools to understand how good the mid-majors can be. Meyer also made a comment a few days ago that the difference between the BCS and mid-major schools is all but gone. Not sure I'd go that far, but there are a number of very good mid-majors who could upset quite a number of BCS schools right now.

A side-effect of Notre Dame being perenially, erroneously highly-rated is that you get bonus points for beating them. Especialy when you smack them down in a high-profile bowl game with everyone drooling over Brady Quinn.

LSU is really, really, good though. I don't think that's an unreasonable ranking.

Crothian

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
A side-effect of Notre Dame being perenially, erroneously highly-rated is that you get bonus points for beating them. Especialy when you smack them down in a high-profile bowl game with everyone drooling over Brady Quinn.

It is true. TV personel were still raving over OSU's big win against ND last year before the Championship game.

Dimwhit

Explorer
Crothian said:
It is true. TV personel were still raving over OSU's big win against ND last year before the Championship game.
The fact that ND only dropped to 17 says a lot about the perception that they're a good team.

The should probably be ranked in the low 20s at best.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I've been listening to a lot of Gator talk the last couple of days.

One of the nice things I've continued to hear was how gracious the Ohio State fans were at the game. So kudos to their fans!

Remove ads