Combat?

PolterGhost

First Post
Something that has bothered me that I'm not sure how to handle if I ran a PbP game: How does everyone do combat? Specifically, 3e and PF, but this also applies to other games that generally rely on tactical positioning. It seems like it would take a long time for any combat to resolve if not only did players have to wait for each other's initiatives, but also for the DM to put up a map.

So how do you handle it?

ghostcat

First Post
This has been discussed several times in different threads (sorry can't provide a link). There have been various ideas but no-one has come up with a definitive solution.

Most games use a round by round system, with players posting in any order and the GM posting a summary at the end of the round. Combat is still slow but at least its not held up by any one person.

Other ideas are:

1. Group initiative, with actions taken in the order they are posted and initiative only used to decide if the party or monsters go first.

... That's all I remember, anyone know any more.

Arkhandus

First Post
Well, it doesn't take too long to make a basic map. I just worked up a simple grid in Paint (making a single empty square, then copying and pasting until I had a grid-section, then copying and pasting that until I had a whole grid), then for each battle I'd copy that grid into a new file (JPG or JPEG), quickly color-code the squares to indicate what type of terrain they were (white for normal ground, green for undergrowth, dark green for thick undergrowth, light blue for shallow water, darker blue for deep water, dark gray for walls, light gray for rubble or rough terrain, blue-green for marsh/bogs, brown for obstructions like tables or whatnot, yellow or light tan for slippery ground, etc.), put a simple letter/number line along each axis of the grid so folks could designate which spaces they were moving to, and marked trees or other such objects with a large black dot with size based on how much of the square it occupied (i.e. providing light cover, full cover, etc.).

For each round of battle, I'd mark each foe's position with a letter or number (like w1 for wolf #1), and mark each PC's position with a letter or two. The map only had to be updated at the end of each round (or more accurately, after the DM handled the last NPC's action for the round, or whatever). Add a simple map-key to your post, indicating which letters indicate which PCs or NPCs and what terrain each of the current map-colors represented.

You don't need to wait for the GM to resolve each PC's action, necessarily; you can just have players post their intended actions each round, and, whenever you check the thread, you can resolve the actions of whoever posted since your last check. Of course, it can still get bogged down if some players only rarely post, or if the DM doesn't check and post every day or two or whatever (depending on what kinda pace you're trying to maintain).

Attachments

• Harrow-1-27-10.jpg
    Harrow-1-27-10.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 68

Dr Simon

Explorer
I've used both methods of initiative - the one where you do it properly and everyone acts in their turn, and the one where it goes in posting order. Both work, really, except that the second method gips anyone with Improved Initiative. I find you need to leave things 24 hours so that the post can "go around the world" - obviously your game will go faster if everyone posts in the same time zone.

As for missing players, the best solution for combat is, if nothing has appeared after a couple of days, just skip over that character - either they do nothing for that round or they do the same as last round. Either the player is busy, temporarily away or simply missed the update, in which case be prepared to alter actions if the suddenly reapper, or they may have vanished for good, which is known to happen in PBP.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
And really what works for one GM might not work for another. You will have to get a feel for your players as well as what you like.

All and all combat is slow - and sometimes the death of a game - This is why if I run a module I tale out half the combats and mostly I don't use the XP system for my games as they tend to be geared towards more combats.

If you go over to Playing the Game you will find lots of examples of different DM's handle combat in different ways.

HM

Rhun

First Post
I've recently switched to group initiative in my games, and it definitely speeds the game up. Once each player has posted their action, I resolve the NPCs actions. If a player takes too long, I simply NPC their character.

Remove ads