• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Come look at my finest NPC classes!

Dispater

Explorer
I know its not that relevant for most games, but I've always wanted to make this class. So here my version is. Have a look and share your thoughts.

----

Merchant
From the lowly Athian peddler to the wealthy Vendhian high-merchant or the restless Sea Elf seaman, merchants can be found around the world. They export, import and travel in search of better markets, buyers and offers. They may hold honest businesses and do fair deals or smuggle and swindle. Merchants have enjoyed particullar success in the last hundred years, and many families of well-standing merchants have made fortunes for themselves. Where trade plays an important role, these men play important roles in the affairs of the state. In Vendhia, the Merchant Houses sway control over most independent cities and guilds. The sea elves are a trading people, and their leaders are more often than not succesful merchants. What they have in common is their constant pursuit of wealth through buys and sales, which often brings them out on long and dangerous journeys to foreign lands and people.

Alignement: Any. Good or bad, business is business.
Hit Dice: d6. A merchant preffer to stay out of harm's way, but is always aware that a minmum risk of danger is involved in his profession.
BAB: As wizard. Merchants don't like to do the fighting themselves. That's what they have mercenaries for.
Good Saves: Will. Cunning merchants do prosper.
Armor and Weapon Proficency: Merchants are proficient with simple weapons. They gain no armor or shield proficency.
Skillpoints at each level: 6 + Int modifier. Relevant social and intelectual skills require much honing and finesse.
Skills: The merchant's class skills is: Appraise (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Wis?) Innuendo (Wis), Forgery (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nobility), Knowledge (trade) (Int), Proffession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis) and Urban Lore (Wis, optional)

Starting funds: 5d4 x 100 gp. Merchants often have far better financial background than the other classes, but 50% of these starting funds must be invested in merchandise.

Level Ability
1______ Are you trying to ruin me?, merchantine lore
2______ -
3______ My special price
4______ -
5______ -
6______ -
7______ -
8______ Expert appraisal
9______ -
10_____ -
11_____ -
12_____ -
13_____ -
14_____ Slippery mind
15_____ -
16_____ -
17_____ -
18_____ -
19_____ -
20_____ Masterful appraisal

Are you trying to ruin me? (ex): Haggling is the merchant's pride. Merchants can use the skill Bluff to sell or buy merchandise for a prise much higher or lower than the original cost. Others can call their bluff by rolling an opposed Sense Motive, but if they fail, they believe the price offered is fair. The ammount depends on how much the merchant's Bluff check exceeds the other part's Sense Motive, as seen below. Note that other merchants are likely to use an appraise check in stead of Sense Motive, to decide the item's exact value.

1-5 10% more/10% less than base cost
6-10 25% more/20% less than base cost
10-15 50% more/40% less than base cost
15-20 75% more/60% less than base cost
20-30 100% more/80% less than base cost
30+ 200% more/(others will pay you to take it) than base cost

Merchantine lore (ex): Any succesful merchant knows a thing or two about the world and the goods it has to offer. On a succesful Knowledge (trade) check, a merchant may exactly pinpoint the whereabouts and availablity of a common ware (DC 12) or an exotic ware (DC 15). He may also have bits of information on magical items (DC 20).

My special price (ex): Merchants choose a business specialty (wine, wool, grapes, silver, silks, arms, etc) at 3rd level. In dealing in these commodities he gains a +2 circumstance bonus to all bluff, sense motive, appraise and other related skills.

Expert appraisal (ex): At 8th level, Merchants always appraise common item's exact value on an appraise check (DC 12). They also estimate exotic items within 10% of their value (DC 15+) and magic items (DC 20+) within 70% to 130% of their exact value.

Slippery mind (su): Charms and mind-affecting devices have long been used against merchants to get better deals. A seasoned merchant, however, knows how to get around them. At 14th level he can reroll a Will saving throw against a magical charm or mind affecting effect once per day.

Master appraisal (ex): At 20th level, Merchants always appraise exotic items exact value on an appraise check (DC 15+). They can also appraise magic items (DC 20+) within 10% of their exact value.

edit: armor and weapon proficencies
edit: added handle animal & knowledge nobility skills, 6 skill points/level

----

Last edited:

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Good except I would add several more Knowledge skills- like History, Local, and nobility and royalty- a merchant has to know about the people he deals with to make a good trade. Handle Animal might also be essential for merchants who have to move about a lot or sell exotic animals. Also, since this is a skill-based character it would be good to boost the merchant's skill points to 6 per level instead of 4.

Remove ads