• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Commander’s Strike

brehobit

Explorer
Commander’s Strike

So how does Commander’s Strike work? Specifically, which ally can you affect and who can you have him attack?

As I read it, it looks like the target of the attack must be in "reach" of the warlord (range 1 generally, 2 with reach) and the ally can be anywhere (but has to be able to take a standard melee basic attack on the target).

So a warlord who is planning on using this really wants a reach weapon? Seems odd...

Mark

Boarstorm

First Post
I read it as essentially LOS. If you know an enemy is there and Bob the Rogue is standing next to it, you can order Bob to attack the enemy.

No range is mentioned, true, but ... well, I dunno. I guess my natural interpretation is just opposite yours.

rkanodia

First Post
Boarstorm said:
I read it as essentially LOS. If you know an enemy is there and Bob the Rogue is standing next to it, you can order Bob to attack the enemy.

No range is mentioned, true, but ... well, I dunno. I guess my natural interpretation is just opposite yours.
It does mention a range: Melee.

Surgoshan

First Post
And WotC_Miko confirmed that it's a melee attack; as in the warlord has to be able to use a melee attack on the target to use this power.

And the warlord doesn't automatically want reach; he's pretty heavily invested in melee (in that all his powers require it) and has fairly low hitpoints; that shield bonus looks awfully attractive.

Samurai

Adventurer
rkanodia said:
It does mention a range: Melee.
Yes, but is that the range of the order to "Attaaaack!" or the range of your party member attacking the target?

Edit: Darn ninja beat me to it!

Boarstorm

First Post
Surgoshan said:
And WotC_Miko confirmed that it's a melee attack; as in the warlord has to be able to use a melee attack on the target to use this power.

And the warlord doesn't automatically want reach; he's pretty heavily invested in melee (in that all his powers require it) and has fairly low hitpoints; that shield bonus looks awfully attractive.

Blech. Well, so much for that.

Mort_Q

First Post
Really?

Everyone in our group read it as, the ally of your choice makes a melee attack at a target in the ally's melee range, with some INT if you have any. More of a Fighter buff than an attack.

Weird.

reff42

Explorer
Surgoshan said:

thats odd, when I sent the question to customer service, I got back the response that the melee range was the melee range of the targeted ally, which you must be able to see and hear each other.

Run, now this, WotC customer service needs to get on the ball.

Remove ads