• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Commentary for 9 September 2006

NuclearWookiee

First Post
The_Universe said:
The bear, though foaming at the mouth, did not appear to be rabid. However, it was unusually violent, and apparently bent on your destruction, to the degree that it passed over an easy meal to continue to pursue the party. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that Aflonse declared this to be a fiendish bear; in this case, not likely to be a bear from one of the infernal planes, but rather a bear possessed by a low-level fiend.
Ah ha! So... basically we killed the little imp and the little bastard (or a friend of the little bastard) possessed a bear to attack us. And that is why he was so intent on eating us and not the peace offering we tossed outside.

Queen Dopplepopolis said:
That the Winter Queen/Luck Goddess has fallen. (Is she truly a god, then? Is it possible that these being are not divine, but incredibly powerful?)
I think this is more a matter of learning what a god/goddess is in this game setting more than learning that there is anything different about the luck goddess. She just got beaten down by a bigger, badder god is all. We can pretty easily presume that the power of the Slaver is far superior to the other 9 (does 9 include the one that stayed behind to delay the Slaver, so we actually are dealing with 8?). If this were not true, then the 9 could have simply defeated the Slaver instead of running and hiding from him in this world. If the combined might of the other gods is actually capable of defeating the Slaver, then the sacrifice of the greatest among them seems to have occurred in vain.

Has the Luck Goddess actually fallen? Is it possible that the Slaver managed to hold her/capture her?
Good point, and entirely likely in my opinion! As Kennon pointed out, the name would suggest such an act to be characteristic of the enemy. Again, the combined power of the 9 is apparently less than the power of the Slaver, so he/she really wouldn't have much to worry about by keeping the gods/goddesses alive and bringing them into submission one by one. A bad sort that has been stewing and scheming for millenia probably would prefer to draw out his revenge some, I would think.

Speaking of our characters, do you think we should share our motivations, our goals so that we can form some sort of plan? I'm not getting a very "party oriented" feeling... so I think we need to put some effort into giving our characters a REASON to adventure with each other.
I wouldn't worry much, we have only gone through 2 game sessions and about a day and a half of game time. It doesn't make any sense that our characters would trust each other beyond "need to know" at this point. As our characters develop, so will our group dynamic, just as it did in the D20 Modern game once we got going. Besides, as our overwhelming goal since the adventure began a day and a half ago has been "Escape!" there really is no reason from an RP perspective that we would have any reasons, let alone opportunity, to get into what really drives each of us yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
(does 9 include the one that stayed behind to delay the Slaver, so we actually are dealing with 8?).
Until last night, there were, as far as you know, 9 living gods in the world, all refugees from the plane of your races' origin, hiding from a ravenous Creator god known to most as "the Slaver." The 10th god, who led the rebellion against the slaver, sacrificed herself in a heroic delaying action, to ensure that the 9 could escape across the Veil of Worlds with the first of the True Race. This fallen goddess is called Sammeal by Men, Sariel by the Dwarves, and Azarel by the Elves. Her tomb, depending on who you talk to, lies hidden on the Isle of the Dead across the Bridge of Souls from Shadowbor, or at the Veilrift itself, in the Mirror Wastes, near Lost Khaldis on the River Khybren.

Chris said:
I think this is more a matter of learning what a god/goddess is in this game setting more than learning that there is anything different about the luck goddess. She just got beaten down by a bigger, badder god is all. We can pretty easily presume that the power of the Slaver is far superior to the other 9 (does 9 include the one that stayed behind to delay the Slaver, so we actually are dealing with 8?). If this were not true, then the 9 could have simply defeated the Slaver instead of running and hiding from him in this world. If the combined might of the other gods is actually capable of defeating the Slaver, then the sacrifice of the greatest among them seems to have occurred in vain.

That is exactly what I was suggestion with this question - it's not about Manirisel (Borial) - it's about what her falling means about the rest of the gods.

As for the RP aspect of forming a "team"... well... let's just say that I have a bad experience with groups that don't form into teams quickly. The last game NEVER formed a team - individual motivations and personal crap completely thwarted any possibility of having a dynamic group of characters that worked together to achieve group and individual goals. Instead, individual characters would try to FORCE each other to become a team and that created resentment in and out of character that, in many ways, caused the downfall of the 1.5 year campaign.

As such, as a meta-game issue, I think we need to keep it in mind as our characters advance. I know not everyone is really "into" role playing - especially not role playing that is inspired by a meta-game issue. But, I do think it's important that we start to find a way to create a "team" rather than a bunch of PCs that happen to hang out together.

NuclearWookiee

First Post
That the Winter Queen/Luck Goddess has fallen. (Is she truly a god, then? Is it possible that these being are not divine, but incredibly powerful?

Okay, well I didn't get much out of the above quote, so if you are thinking what I wrote in my response then great.

As far as team goes, like I said I wouldn't worry much. I don't think you are referring to the D20 modern game. If so, I just flat out disagree with you. But since I doubt that's the case, you must be referring to the last infamous D&D game that comes up often. In that regard, I can only hope you aren't likening the current group of players to those former of which ill is oft spoken. ;)

As for RPing... it's RPing that suggests waiting on our characters baring their souls to one another after only being acquainted for a day and a half. It'll happen. The when and the how are the interesting parts.

The_Universe

First Post
As for RPing... it's RPing that suggests waiting on our characters baring their souls to one another after only being acquainted for a day and a half. It'll happen. The when and the how are the interesting parts.
I think there's a halfway point between what Liz and Chris are saying on this issue. While it probably doesn't make sense to start "baring souls" after so little time together, you should probably start looking for the "where and how" that Chris refers to. Don't force it; but be actively looking for a chance to tie yourself to the group and the group to you.

Now, while baring one's soul is certainly a way to engender a bit of trust from those around you, it may not be a palatable option for some of the PCs, especially at this early juncture.

Assuming your alignment and class allow - don't be afraid to be manipulative. Present the interests you can openly admit to as something the other PCs may benefit from, as well. You all have interests in one for or another, and they'll be easier to pursue with help than they would be alone (probably). Sincere affection/friendship have not yet had a chance to grow, as Chris validly notes. However, in the interim, overlapping goals and common interests may do the trick.

This is one of those things that a leader-type is definitely good for. It may take a single party member to ferret out the ways that you can tackle bigger issues together.

NuclearWookiee

First Post
Well put, Kennon. For the moment we are bound together by necessity. But I suspect that soon necessity will give way to convenience, and convenience to actual comradery. :)

Well, people. We should soon be on a ship to an, as of yet, unknown location.

Where would your character want to go? And why would they tell the party they want to go there?

Zara seems pretty straight-forward about what she wants: She wants the Salt Spray and she wants to get onto the sea. Moreover, she seems determined to help y'all as she does it. Despite talking up her pyratical accomplishments, she seems pretty giving and pretty eager to assist all of you... so long as she can do it while on board a ship.

NuclearWookiee

First Post
Alfonse's main concern at this point is investigating what Charles has been up to for the past month or so. Charles and myself are both members of the Swordsworn, and I have been sent to investigate his disappearance. Discovering him and subsequently witnessing his death in the slave arena was something of a shock. At this point, I would very much like to get back to his shack to the northwest, but unerstand the need to take an indirect route. To that end, I don't think I particular care which direction we go, as long as our path brings me back to the area in the relatively near future.

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
Alfonse's main concern at this point is investigating what Charles has been up to for the past month or so. Charles and myself are both members of the Swordsworn, and I have been sent to investigate his disappearance. Discovering him and subsequently witnessing his death in the slave arena was something of a shock. At this point, I would very much like to get back to his shack to the northwest, but unerstand the need to take an indirect route. To that end, I don't think I particular care which direction we go, as long as our path brings me back to the area in the relatively near future.
Charles does not/did not have a "shack" or "home base" in the wilderness near the area where he found Mariel. He seemed to know the area reasonably well, but he did not appear to have a store of supplies or anywhere in particular that he called "home."

Now, you certainly may still want to check out the forest where he and Mariel first met, but I want to clarify (in case it's not clear) that there's really no evidence that he called the area home.

Of course, Mariel is the one who would know that, so the transmission of that sort of information very much depends on her. However, I think it was discussed in one of the most recent sessions, but if it wasn't - there's the facts as the group knows them.

Remove ads