• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Commeth the Banhammer...

Sejs

First Post
Banned as in "completely absent; not present at all"?

Very little. Generally stuff that'd be bad on either side of the fence, if used. Wraithstrike as written, for example. If I do run into very problematic things like this I tend to adapt them rather than just flat-out refuse their inclusion.

Banned as in "not available for PC consumption"?

Quite a bit more.

On the "Not for PCs" model, on some things I strike a general balance. If something is unavailable for campaign reasons, when such time occurs that it starts to show up more prevelantly, it'll become available to persue. Example: in my current game psionics are not available as a PC option, not because I have any problem with the psionics rules, but because psionics are almost entirely the domain of Far (note the capital F) entities, and the world where the game is currently taking place has very little incursion of said beings. Now if later the game takes us off to another material plane where they're more common, PCs will have a chance to pick up psi stuff or, if someone dies, make their new character a fully psionic guy that's native to this other plane.

Under the "Not for PCs" model, some of the following things make the list:

-Races above LA +1; note, not ECL, just LA.
-Templates.
-Psionics.
-Incarnum.
-Martial Initiates (Bo9S). Non maneuver-related things are allowed though, like Superior Unarmed Strike.
-Anything related to the Underdark; drow, duergar, etc.
-Certain PrCs, particularly ones that do not play well with others by virtue of design. FB, etc.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The Sun Domain's granted power is the Exalted Turning feat (Book of Exalted Deeds). In addition to normal turning effects, every turning also does 3d6 fire damage to all affected undead.

And yes, this significantly changes the Radiant Servant of Pelor along the way.

Malk

First Post
I have found that as a DM I do not have to ban anything, because if someone specificaly tries to break my game, they wont be playing it for long. If something accidentally breaks the game then we can look at the problem and fix it.....nothing has done so in close to a decade of gaming.

Dragonbait

Explorer
-No BoED or BoVD
-3.0 books and non-WoTC books are considered bannhammered unless I say otherwise. Its more to keep some level of control on the resources available rather than not liking those books.
-I have lifted the banhammer on evil PCs, but my group does not know this.
-Insane characters
-No floating shield
-No races that have Massive Build. I'm not happy about this, since I like Goliaths, but I had to do it. Half my group love melee characters and are hack 'n slashers that began to think that a character that did 2d6+6 damage in one attack was weak. I put a ban on them when I started hearing "It only does 2d8 damage? That's weak!"

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
BANHAMMERED:

* Anything pre-3.0 (with a few exceptions)
* Anything Realms
* BoVD/BoED ('cept for NPCS)
* Incarnum
* Tome of Battle/Magic
* Frenzied Beserker
* Radiant Servant of Pelor
* Ur-Priest
* Disciple of the Sun [feat]

Allowed: Anything 3.5 Core* + Eberron

* Flavor Subject to Change, its Eberron after all...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads