• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Commeth the Banhammer...

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Meloncov said:
Why the ban on greater two weapon fighting? I've never heard anyone call it overpowered.

Enough with all the friggin' attacks people have to roll. . . Same with Many Shot . . . :)

Mercule

Adventurer
On a more serious note:
Paladin (when they make it a PrC, I'll add it back in).
Drow (man, I hate drow -- they were old and lame in 1991).

Drowbane

First Post
homebrew

Races~
Drow/Elf: my homebrewed elves are Sidhe and need an entire rewrite.
Gnome: Faen replaces as whimsical shorty race.
Half Elf: nuf said
Half Orc: orc is a PC race.

Classes~
Bard: might use some form of PrC.
Paladin: Cleric is the martial arm of the church.
Psychic Warrior: unique powers added to relevant Disciplines
Ranger: I give ranger abilities as roguish Special Abilities to be chosen.
Sorc (warlock replaces niche)

PrC~
all included PrCs that are normally 10 levels get rewriten to be 5th level.
Assassin: Death Attack is a high level rogue Special Ability
Mystic Theurge and Clones: the campaign world is Gestalt by default.

Feats~
Arcane Thesis: actually just gets reworded so the -1 to spell level only applies for the first Metamagic Feat used on the spell.

Skills~
Class Skills: Joe-Fighter wants to be able to sneak, so be it.

Gear~
Exotic weapons: everything breaks down into simple and martial.

Spells~
This is a huge list. Ideally I want to convert all spell-type-magic over to something like the Psionic Power points system, but more modular. One in my group advised I read Ars Magica. Other types of magic... warlocks, binders, incarnum, etc... remain as they are.

In the short term, I will just be content banning spells I consider ill-conceived. Wraithstrike being a prime example.

~~

Not an exhaustive list, but should give some idea of what I'm cutting out.

Last edited:

Imruphel

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:

Book of Erroneous Design or Book of Egregiously-bad Design are the two correct names for this book even if the cover shows Book of Exalted Deeds.

This one is largely banned in my games too.

I try not to ban too much but Monkey Grip is definitely on the list although that is more to do with me not liking the name than anything else. I don't like the flavour of Incarnum either so it doesn't exist. I also have banned the reincarnate spell as it doesn't fit the flavour of my campaign.

I'm more likely to ban something for flavour reasons than for balance except in some extreme cases.

Ant

First Post
Nothing is banned, for I am the DM.

No Feat, Prestige Class or weapon shall undo me.

No spell, magical item or ungodly half-race shall cow me.

If a game mechanic thwarts me then I am no longer the DM.

Nothing is banned.

Except drow ...

... bloody dark elves.

ruemere

Adventurer
All non-OGC material.

Unless I can legally include and distribute it using my PCGen, it's out. Some exceptions made for campaign specific material.

Regards,
Ruemere

derelictjay

Explorer
I don't usually ban things. I have said no to using certain races, home-brewed feats and spells. But if you are using an overpowering combination, don't be shocked to see something similar from me, a little later. Threats of PC deaths, usually keeps the players in check. I know that sounds bad, but I usually reward cool tactics, and interesting uses of spells and abilities. This only comes to play when someone is abusing the rules.

Of couse, if I don't have it in my personal library, it can't be used.

Mercule

Adventurer
Storm Raven said:
Have you looked at Unearthed Arcana, there is a paladin PrC in there.

Actually, that's not bad. I don't necessarily think it deserves a 15 level PrC, but that's pretty minor. Swap out the pokemount for one of the new Complete Champion options and I'd probably allow it.

The prestige Ranger, though, is lame. Ranger really is its own skill set and shouldn't be a PrC. Ditto the prestige Bard.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads