• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Community World Building Exercise

bobcat_grad

First Post
I freely admit that I posted this in the Places & Plots forum, but as the traffic there is much, much lighter, I decided to chance it and post the opening post here (with modifications)

My play group and I have had discussions in the past about growing our own world from scratch. Something that we all contribute to an we all use as a setting for our adventures. When one of us picks up the mantle of DM, we would have a world to work with where we are writing the history, cultures, events, politics, heroes, villains, etc. We wanted to shape a world from the ground up; picking and choosing what appeals to us and adding elements of our own to make it our own.

This is something we kicked around for a while now, but I decided to take the first step to get it going. But shortly after starting, I realized that as much fun as I was having with letting my imagination run, there was a vast, untapped resource for good ideas out there: everyone else who plays D&D.

So, I created a blog site to start tracking the progress of this project at Help Build A D&D World and would like to open up the project to everyone interested. After getting some suggestions and feedback, it seemed like a wiki was a better place to track information about the world, so that's underway now at Tangia - A D&D World Wiki

Included at the wiki and blog are maps, rough descriptions of continents and nations, a rough layout of the pantheon, a listing of the races in the world, and more. Additionally, there are forums for discussion on idea about Tangia at Help Build A D&D World: Forums

If you have an idea about a place or setting you've always kicked around or something you've been using for years and think it should have a permanent place in a world, let us know. I want this to be a community effort to build out a world that we can all contribute to, play in, and watch grow.

We've gotten some contributors already, and we're looking for more.

Stop by for a minute and see if there is anything that catches your interest. Creative minds are more than welcome and encouraged.

Hawke

Explorer
If you consider this a thread-jack, please let me know and I'll edit my post... but I can't help but frequently suggest Dawn of Worlds a world building game that can be setup to allow a small group of people collaboratively build a world. Seems like you could really modify it to do either give you a broad overview and then fill in the blanks or really develop a rich and complex history down to the city level. I always try and recommend it to folks talking about collaborative world building.

Remove ads