Compelling Encounters!

mmadsen

First Post
The D&D Adventure Game has a cave full of bats. If the characters disturb them (e.g. walk through the cave with torches or other lights), they form a Cloud of Bats, shrieking and flapping and causing -4 to all attack rolls (or much of anything else, I suppose).

That one's easy to plug into most dungeons.

madriel

First Post
There was a recent article in Dragon (I forget which, 289?) that laid out mechanics for fighting in water. It laid out the rules for fighting underwater, IIRC it also talked about fighting in flooded areas. It might be useful for creating rules for fighting in deep snow.

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

The dark, cloudy skies show signs they are heavy and preganat with more rain to come. As you and the group climb up the mountainside, the dark mulch squishes beneath your feet. Your breath coming in gulps, the cool air feels good as a breeze greets you. Up ahead, as you reach a ridge, sheets of drizzling mist can be seen. The air above darkens with rain against the canyon wall.

There, at the summit of the ridge, you can see over the edge to your right, that the mountain gives way to cliffside. Below, distantly rumbling, is the vast Rhugande River. 1,000 feet below, the vast river snakes along the great canyon to the south. Not far north of where you stand, a great waterfall can be seen, as it pours it's vast waters over the edge to the river below in a brilliant stream of moving silver and white foam. Below, an eerie cloud of mist hovers constantly at the base of the falls.

"Nerraawk!...Nerraawk!...Nerraawk!" Strange, bird calls reach you. The vast trees reach for the heavens, and you can see the strange, rich moss growing along the base of the trees. These trees are huge, easily over 100 feet high, and forty feet in diameter. The moss seems to glimmer with a slight silver tint. Hmmm... The smell of rich, dark earth and green things are everywhere. The cool air carries the fresh scent of the rain-filled mountains to you, and for a moment, the strange, vibrant rainforest is beautiful to behold. The wildness, the freedom, the sounds, swim through your senses...

Lo! Behold, up the slope, to your left, is the fortress you seek. The walls, ancient and massive, stand guard for eternity. There, up the vast stairway, are the great doors. Strangely, they are over twenty feet high, sixteen feet wide, and they seem to be of the purest ivory, with delicate inlays of jade, and edged in shining silver. The towers of the fortress reach through banks of mist, and seem to have strange carvings of elephant heads around their bases. The tower roofs have inlays of gleaming emerald, and silver.

Just to your right, is a courtyard that overlooks the falls. There is a four foot high wall of dark grey stone, and in the center, is a majestic fountain. The fountain throws water up in a majestic burst, then trickling down like a fall of jewels. In the center, a beautiful carving of a naked woman stands, cradling a baby hippo in her arms. Her voluptuous form is most alluring, and her eyes seem...almost lifelike. The eyes seem to watch you...

Gradually, the sound of the strange birds settles into a rythm that is comforting. Statues of thirty-foot tall giants flank the base of the vast stairway that leads to the entrance. There, pillars of blackest basalt rise high to the crenellated and inscribed roof above. Each pillar is carved at the base with snarling lions, looking outward.

As you and the group approach the stairway, deep drums can be heard in the distance. As you look back, there, at the fringe of the forest, a horde of large white baboons caper and prance. As they see you--you see a large beast look right at you--you know that it is hungry for you, as it lets out a deep, savage howl, the horde begins to run towards you at a breathtaking speed!

The ivory gates of the fortress await thee...

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I do not have a set rule for fighting in snow - but I dtermine based on the environment - some of the effects I use are:

* 3/4 to 1/4 normal speed.

* No dex adjustment to AC

* Run only 3 times speed

* No running at all (at least four feet of snow)

mmadsen

First Post
I do not have a set rule for fighting in snow - but I dtermine based on the environment - some of the effects I use are:
  • 3/4 to 1/4 normal speed.
  • No dex adjustment to AC
  • Run only 3 times speed
  • No running at all (at least four feet of snow)

This might make for an interesting twist in a Middle Earth campaign -- where elves can walk on snow.

hong

WotC's bitch
mmadsen said:

This might make for an interesting twist in a Middle Earth campaign -- where elves can walk on snow.

Pfeh. It won't be a REAL campaign until elves can walk on water.

Hong "Forrester notwithstanding" Ooi

mmadsen

First Post
Discussing snow game mechanics reminded me of a very common dungeon condition that doesn't seem to have any mechanics spelled out: low ceilings (and/or narrow tunnels). Am I just missing the rules in the DMG? If not, what rules is everyone else using for fights in goblin tunnels?

Reprisal

First Post
LOL

I now decree that any poster wishing to invoke "Elven Supremacism" without incurring the wrath of Forrester may include the "Forrester Notwithstanding Clause."

My current campaign is set in an area where snow is a reality... There are rules in the DMG in relation to the effects of snow, snowfall and other things... I cannot cite the actual page number, but it is there...

Personally, I'm waiting for an encounter inside a fortress carved out of a glacier, hehe.

Remove ads