• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Competition] Vote for your favourite map!

Which map is the best?

• Sean MacDonald

Votes: 21 5.6%
  • Saba Taru

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • helium3

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • Resistor

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • tovokas

Votes: 147 39.1%
  • alleynbard

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • TogaMario

• Rick Hershey

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • HALL

Votes: 91 24.2%
  • PBartender

Votes: 61 16.2%
  • Kensanata

• JVisgaitis

Votes: 21 5.6%

kenobi65

First Post
Wow. A lot of gorgeous work here. I think that all of the submissions were very worthy, and I had a very difficult time making a choice.

Thorkull

First Post
There's alot of nice maps there, but Tovokas' is clean and crisp. The text is easy to read and the map itself is gorgeous. It looks very polished and professional, so it got my vote.

Runner-ups (in no particular order):
  • Sean MacDonald (very close second, Tovokas' map just has more "pop", or polish)
  • Hall (nice, but artwork looks out-of-focus and "busy")
  • JVisgaitis (a bit too simplistic -- there's not a lot, color-wise, to draw your attention to different parts of the map, but it's clean and professional)
  • PBartender (really well done, just not my favorite style, and really don't like the "dotted water" for the oceans)

Good work!

Last edited:

HALL

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
I honestly don't think it's much of a quandary at all.

Hall's map is the superior artwork by far.

Whatever the case Hall - if you are interested in a mapping gig, drop me a PM. I've got some artwork that needs doing for a computer product.

Thanks Steel Wind,
I sent you a PM and look forward to hearing from you.

Nyeshet

First Post
I considered choosing tovokas, but the additions he added to the original map (lakes, new rivers, etc) caused me to pass it by.

I nearly chose Rick Hershey, but the lettering seemed too wide, not readily read at a glance.

I considered choosing PBartender, but the use of numbers and the speckled sea turned me off it.

Finally, I settled on HALL - a true work of (computer) art.

As an honorable mention, I make note of Kensanata's map - a work of art (by hand this time).

[edit] I didn't even realize that Sean's map was in the running until after I voted. The mouse-over brings up the phrase 'original color map by '. That caused me to think of it like the b/w map - ie: it was the example the other maps strove to follow. Otherwise, I likely would have considered voting for it. I think its low vote turnout is likely due to this thought occurring to others as well, not a reflection of the map's level of skill or likeability.

Last edited:

JVisgaitis

Explorer
I thought I'd get top 3, but oh well. I still had a lot of fun making the map. Next time I'm just going to copy and paste everything instead of doing everything by hand to save me some time. Thanks for having the contest Morrus. You guys should have more like this.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Pbartender said:
Out of curiosity, how so?

First, I think your map is great. But I do agree with Nyaricus about the ocean color. It seems to clash too much with the rest of the map and reminds me of one of those tests you give someone to check if they are color blind.

Pbartender

First Post
Thorkull said:
PBartender (really well done, just not my favorite style...

Yeah, I know... It's a very particular style. My players and I have a lot of fun with it. But, as with anything so distinctive, either you like it or you don't.

Suffice it to say, that had I known that I was building a map for the general populace of EN World, rather than for just Ranger Wickett and Morrus, I would have likely made a much different map.

Vyvyan Basterd said:
But I do agree with Nyaricus about the ocean color. It seems to clash too much with the rest of the map and reminds me of one of those tests you give someone to check if they are color blind.

Interesting... I'll go into it more in a little bit (I have to run take the kids to school right now) but all of the patterns, image bits and fonts in my map are taken almost directly from the maps of a rather famous renaissance cartographer, whose style I was trying to emulate.

I've got other ocean color/pattern styles that I'm experimenting with, but have not yet perfected. For this contest, I went with the one I knew best and could complete the quickest.

iwatt

First Post
Pbartender said:
Interesting... I'll go into it more in a little bit (I have to run take the kids to school right now) but all of the patterns, image bits and fonts in my map are taken almost directly from the maps of a rather famous renaissance cartographer, whose style I was trying to emulate.

which is whay I like it the most. seems perfect as a handout for the players.

Remove ads