• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Complete Adventurer - 10 Reasons for Players on Wizards site

diaglo

Adventurer
Creamsteak said:
The idea of a fireball bursting around the parties lead fighter sounds cool to me. It also seems sensible if it's a tightly packed group that your bursting this around. However, I'm not fond of a fireball (or other area of effect) that just curves around everyone you "don't want it to hit."

I wonder if you can target yourself with this?

sounds a lot like the Nova spell from Diablo. ;)

JoeGKushner

First Post
diaglo said:
sounds a lot like the Nova spell from Diablo. ;)

Some 3rd party publisher long ago for 2nd edition (unofficial of course), had a spell called Burst. It was a fireball spell centered on the caster with an "eye of the needle" effect going for it. It's an interesting idea and certainly around long before good old Diablo.

Klaus

First Post
Creamsteak said:
The idea of a fireball bursting around the parties lead fighter sounds cool to me. It also seems sensible if it's a tightly packed group that your bursting this around. However, I'm not fond of a fireball (or other area of effect) that just curves around everyone you "don't want it to hit."

I wonder if you can target yourself with this?
I akin this to the "flowing" fire from the first Matrix, in the end of the building invasion scene. In this case, the Fire "Ball" becomes almost wave-like, with the caster directing it, almost like a maestro.

qstor

Adventurer
Darkness said:
I wonder if the ninja is the same one as in a 3.5 Dragon?

I imagine. They might tweak it a bit.

I'm going to pick this up, if only to finish off my set of 3.5 splatbooks, which I can use in Living Greyhawk.

Mike

JoeGKushner

First Post
These three areas sound like good deals. I'm a huge fan of knife fighting styles (just all Hellhound, I'm still bugging him about EN Arsenal Daggers), and I like feats that let you do more. The multi-class options sound intersting too. Unlike most here, I liked the fact that the Illumians were included in Races of Destiny because they'e a race that specializes in mutli-classing. I'm hoping for some good synergy between the Complete Adventurer and Races of Destiny.

I am worried about an 'extensive' feat selection though, and it sounds like there are going to be a lot of PrCs, which is the opposite direction taken with Divine and Arcane.

9. Focus in with Feats: Complete Adventurer's extensive feats section offers plenty of options for sharpening and focusing your character's abilities. For example, the Extraordinary Spell Aim feat allows a spellcaster to shape an area spell so that its effects flow around a selected creature. Now your character can blast away with spells and not worry about harming an ally!

8. Expanded Multiclassing Options: Many of the new feats in Complete Adventurer help to make some often-overlooked multiclassing options more viable. For example, how about a singing paladin? The Devoted Performer feat lets a character stack paladin and bard levels together to determine damage for the smite evil ability as well as uses per day of bardic music.

7. Go for Some Prestige: If your character takes care of business in a special way, these new prestige classes are for you. For example, the daggerspell mage and daggerspell shaper combine arcane magic, dagger fighting, and wildshape. The bloodhound excels at tracking down elusive foes, and the ghost-faced killer can bring fear and silent death to his enemies.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
We've actually got the number of Prestige Classes in the book along with most of their names... let me just look for them...

26 prestige classes in all

Animal Lord
Ascetic Hunter (Ranger/Monk)
Beastmaster
Bloodhound
Daggerspell Adept
Dread Pirate
Dungeon Delver
Exemplar
Fochulcan Lyrist
Ghost-faced Killer
Highland Stalker
Nightsong Enforcer
Nightsong Infiltator
Shadowbane Inquisitor
Shadowbane Stalker
Shadowmind
Spell Dagger Evoker
Spymaster
Street Fighter
Tempest
Thief-acrobat
Vigilante
Virtuoso

Cheers!

JoeGKushner

First Post
You have daggerspell adept, but the article points out, "daggerspell mage and daggerspell shaper". Will these be two seperate PrCs or do you think that it'll just be the adept with different ideas?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads