• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Complete Arcane: Which classes are you allowing?

Same Question

• Acolyte of the Skin

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Alienist

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • Ardent Savant

Votes: 38 61.3%
  • Blood Magus

Votes: 36 58.1%
  • Effigy Master

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • Elemental Savant

Votes: 45 72.6%
  • Enlightened Fist

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • Fatespinner

Votes: 34 54.8%
  • Geometer

Votes: 36 58.1%
  • Greenstar Adept

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Mage of the Arcane Order

• Maste Transmogrifist

• Mindbender

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • Seeker of the Song

Votes: 38 61.3%
  • Sublime Chord

• Suel Arcanomach

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • Wayfarer Guide

• Wild Mage

• Warlock

Votes: 43 69.4%
  • Wu Jen

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Warmage

Votes: 39 62.9%
  • None

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Poll closed .

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
My world is just not big enough to have all of them - So I have a few that are in the game that started after ComArc. A few others in the game that existed since 3.0, esp some of the hold overs from tome and blood.
Old Game
Acolyte of the Skin
Alienist
MindBender
Effigy master (ratmen only so far)
Geometer (theoretically)
Enilghtined Fist (under consideration)
Sublime Cord (theoretically)

Green Island campaign
Warlock
Sublime Cord
Intiate of seven veils
elemental savant

This is probably the most integrated of all the splat books-
next is the Com Adv. Using very few classes, but feats, spells and equip see alot of uses.
the 3rd most used book is PHBII

Last edited:

Sejs

First Post
FrostedMini1337 said:
anyone played a mage of the arcane order? They seem wildly out of balance.....

I have. It's not that bad. The main feature is the spellpool, and really it totals out to be a smidge of utility. You're not going around leveling mountains, but when you run into situations where you think to yourself "damnit, if only I'd memorized X niche spell" you're better off.

It plays out roughly equal to purchasing some scrolls and having a good degree of forethought.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I "allow" all of them in the sense that they all have a place in my campaign (I run Greyhawk). Some are far better known than others and some have various stigmas attached to them however that makes them virtually unplayable as PC options.

Robert Ranting

First Post
Truth be told, I don't get much use out of Complete Arcane, since my Homebrew uses Arcana Evolved's magic system, and the Variant Bard out of The Complete Book of Eldritch Might. However, there are a few Prestige Classes that seemed to fit my campaign's flavor.

Blood Magus- I've always liked "innate magic" and you don't get much more innate than making your blood magical.

Enlightened Fist- I'm a sucker for magic martial arts.

Seeker of the Song- My cosmology is based on the discarded/innacurate designs of Kepler, when he was still holding onto romantic ideas like Perfect Solids and The Music of the Spheres, and thus, the Primal Music seemed a good fit (though mechanically, it took some work).

Wayfairer Guide- If I could have taken this with my Shackled City character, that campaign would have been so much easier. AE's teleport is slightly less reliable than D&D, and so, we got telefragged or had to leave people behind too often. Worth the effort of converting it just to have the satisfaction of knowing it's there.

Thusfar, I've had one Enlightened Fist NPC, and one of the PCs in my next campaign is going to be an Aasimar Bard/Seeker of the Song.

Robert "Pick and Choose" Ranting

Gold Roger

First Post
All, though some have slight flavor changes, especially:

Warlocks aren't connected to fey and fiends- doesn't make sense for fey and fiends to grant so many abilities they don't have themself.

Wu-Jen aren't asian wizards, they are just variant wizards.

Elemental Savants are Energy Savants: I don't like the element-energy type system.

Greenstone Adepts are Adamantine Adepts.

Edit: Almost forgotten, I've changed Warmages to Int based casters.

Remove ads