• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Complete Dungeons of Dread Photo Gallery

Henrix

Explorer
Felon said:
Now, I gotta ask, what exactly is that clieric of Pelor holding in front of him? :confused: I thought my mini was broken, because it looks like the lower half of a hafted weapon (i.e. a mace)
My preferred theory is that he is dowsing with a pendulum. Pelor is evedidently one of the gods of the New Age.

Felon said:
And what is the lamia doing? Growing feathers? Turning into a pile of leaves?
She isn't so much doing anything as being something. She seems to be made out of a swarm of shining scarabs. She's listed as a medium fey magical beast (undead), and seems to share some swarm abilities.

Cute mini, cute concept.

frankthedm

First Post
Ok, the gnoll does look quite a bit better in person.

3835629324d28d5fbc5iy1mi1.jpg

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I think the Cleric of Pelor is using a censer, which is a swinging bowl for burning and spreading incense.

It's a pretty mini, but it's pretty absurd that they'd give a PC cleric mini a censer rather than a shield.

I'm disappointed with this set. I've collected at least two to three cases of every set until this one. I don't think it's as bad as the gallery pictures make it look, and I don't think it's a regression to Harbinger or Dragoneye, but I do think it's a regression to War Drums, which was a set with some serious sculpt and painting issues.

There was a huge outcry in the hard-core DDM community against War Drums, which led to some policy changes and improvements, but I don't expect to see that this time. To a great extent WotC has "captured" the DDM community, making it much less acceptable, on the major DDM forums, to speak out about the lowered quality.

Ant

First Post
Even though I was very unimpressed with the previews I picked up the starter set and a few boosters, purely because I was hoping to get a cheap wyvern (and I can always do with a second large green dragon -- even if it is the goofiest looking dragon this side of Godzookie).

A lot of the sculpts and paint jobs are just embarrassing but my main gripe is the ... questionable ... quality of the resculpts (see previous point on the green dragon). It's almost as if WotC said, "We don't care how they look, as long as they look different from how they did in 3.5!"

It's not all bad ... there are some nice pieces amongst the dross (howling hag f'rinstance).

lutecius

Explorer
Henrix said:
She isn't so much doing anything as being something. She seems to be made out of a swarm of shining scarabs. She's listed as a medium fey magical beast (undead), and seems to share some swarm abilities.

Cute mini, cute concept.
The mini is about as cute as the concept, indeed :\ .
well, i guess the whole heap of bugs concept is ok, but why call it a lamia? it is unlike any of the mythical versions. "Was betty bug lady already taken?"

From the rpg stats, it seems that its actual type is undead but it can pass for fey or magical beast.

The vrock on the pic you posted seems less garish than the wotc one. Is the paint job less hideous on your lamia too?

Stormrunner

Explorer
I picked up three boosters to see what the new set was like. Very mixed bag.
On the bright side, the gnoll and the bugbear look MUCH better in person than in the gallery. The bugbear could do with some wash/highlighting, as could the orc. I also lucked into getting the red dragon in one of the packs, which was a bonus for me as I didn't wind up with any of the other red dragon minis from the other sets.

The grick, on the other hand, is just ick. Even worse than the pic.

I like the new vrock better, but I prefer the old bulette.

Thurbane

First Post
Neil Bishop said:
... and they are ugly. I can't believe the bad paint work and bad sculpts. The sets should be getting better and not worse.
Amen! After buying the starter pack and 4 boosters, I can attest to the fact this is the lowest quality set in some time. :\

GeeksDreamGirl

First Post
Guacamole said:
That said, I don't think most players and DM's grasp how easily it would be to get a good set of minis for play from the DDM line really cheaply.

Guac has a great point here...

Guacamole said:
I have over a hundred orcs and I will never use them all. I wish I knew gamers that I could work out a deal with for a bag o' orcs, crate o' drow, or a box o' skeletons, because I think even the most miniature resistant people would be tickled by using the pieces in play. couple that with the "basic" boxed sets and you can have a couple of small dragons that are decently painted.

I know there are folks who are into the art value of miniatures, and that's all fine and good, but in all honesty, I think there are lots of DMs who collect them because it would look pretty cool to have a pack of 20 dire wolves in front of the PCs instead of 2 dire wolves and 18 pennies.

As a player, I think I'd be more psyched to see 20 dire wolf minis in front of my character than 20 pennies. I'm not going to be putting the wolves under a microscope to see how well their fur is shaded. :)

I put my own spin on the DoD minis set on my blog:

http://geeksdreamgirl.com/2008/04/09/msl-minis-seeking-love-dungeons-of-dread-edition/

I have 3 boxes of them so far... was hoping to get a dragon, but no luck thus far. Anybody wanna trade a dragon for a minotaur? ;-)

e.

Remove ads