• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Complete Guide to Alcohol"

RedTonic

First Post
I have an old "complete guide to alcohol" fan supplement from 1994, meant for AD&D use. It's kind of interesting, and contains both fluff and rules for the background, brewing, consumption, and consequences of consumption for alcoholic beverages.

I was curious as to whether anyone here has the guide--specifically, an updated version. I'm curious as to whether the guy ever updated it for 3.x. Anyway, it's more or less freely distributable, so I've attached the file in case anyone's interested.

Caveat: if you're going to decry booze in games, rules for booze, fluff for booze, or something similar... Please make your own topic to do so, bless your heart. If you're going to post lolcats, proceed. Yesterday was my birthday, and there was a serious dearth of both booze AND lolcats.

Attachments

• D&D - Complete Guide to Alcoholic Beverages.pdf
    421 KB · Views: 363

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It always amazes me that alcohol rules aren't part of the core rules of D&D. In 2E, when TSR was running scared from the "D&D = Satanism" folks, it makes sense, but for other editions, it's just nuts.

lordxaviar

Explorer
I have an old "complete guide to alcohol" fan supplement from 1994, meant for AD&D use. It's kind of interesting, and contains both fluff and rules for the background, brewing, consumption, and consequences of consumption for alcoholic beverages.

I was curious as to whether anyone here has the guide--specifically, an updated version. I'm curious as to whether the guy ever updated it for 3.x..

some of your information is off, might be why dragon passed... I just scanned it and noticed this "Blended whiskey is straight whiskey blended with pure alcohol."

this is not correct... now just to point out.
Four countries produce distinctly different whiskies: Ireland (Irish Whiskey), Scotland (Scotch), America (Bourbon, Tennessee Whiskey, Rye Whiskey, Blended American Whiskey), and Canada (Canadian Whiskey).

Now to explain Scotch which I do know more about: If all the whiskies in a blend are malts, the resulting whisky is called a 'vatted malt' rather than a 'blend'. Some vatted brands are called "pure malt', or simply 'malt whisky' as opposed to 'single malt' which is the product of one distillery.

Blended whisky is a mix of malt and grain whiskies. This style of Scotch accounts for the majority of sales worldwide (in 1995, it was 96 percent; in 1980 it was 99 percent).

Pure alcohol as you calle it I am guessing are referring to Grain alcohol or neutral spirits. This is what scotch starts as before the smoking process they would never dilute the flavor with neutral spirits... blends are a mix of finished products all of which have been aged, to different degrees. The best are left alone and are called single malts.

Now I looked at your sources good, not complete but good, so this might just be your paraphrasing but I just spotted that one point... at quick glance Lookes like good work over all, still see percentage dice used so its not D20 yet... but still looks like alot of information...thanx for posting it.

Last edited:

RedTonic

First Post
[MENTION=56673]lordxaviar[/MENTION] - I didn't write the guide. I was just an elementary school student when the thing was written. I'm sure it's not 100% accurate--I can nitpick regarding beer. It is, however, interesting.

Dandu, these are an expanded set of rules. Arms and Equipment 3e has 3 pages on the subject (pgs. 30 - 32) containing brief rules on the DC of drunkenness for a few brews and a touch of fluff regarding fantastic booze. This all shares space with food and spice. The guide above is 180 pages long and covers the topic with more depth and breadth.

Whizbang, I hope you get a chance to read through the pdf (it's quite long--180 pages on boozing) and I hope you see something you like. :)

RedTonic

First Post
The idea has occurred to me! But I don't know if I'm fluent enough with the system to attempt a rules rewrite... I also wanted to know if this guide had already been updated, because I don't like duplicating work, heh. I've tried searching up the subject a few times, but given that this topic now comes up first for most of my search terms, and nobody else seems to know... I suppose it hasn't seen any updates since the 90s.

Remove ads