Complex underpowered magic items in Magic Item Compendium

Lancelot

Adventurer
Well, you've certainly got me intrigued to take a good read of the book this weekend. :)

I'm no fan of (what seems to me) the attempts to turn D&D into Diablo II. Interchangeable gems? Color me unimpressed. I'm less annoyed by "item sets", as they're good story hooks to find the other piececs.

On the surface, 300gp for +1 fire damage every hit is pretty good. I'd invest in that. In the defense of the meteoric knife example you give, I guess it's all about the flexibility... and the frequency you anticipate using that weapon each day.

I mostly DM, but on the rare examples I play, I'm using an elven necromancer (6th level). I'd take the meteoric knife over a +1 weapon with an augment crystal. I'm not going to be meleeing much, and I only get one shot (per encounter) if I throw a dagger. The meteoric knife gives me options. I can chuck the dagger more than once (up to 4x, if I use all the charges on returning), or I can do a "big hit" (1d4+1+3d6 fire) that will be far more meaningful than the dagger-with-crystal (1d4+1+1 fire). If I don't anticipate more than a couple fights in a day, or I'm using my magic for most of the other fights, that's a pretty good deal for me.

All of the examples you've provided so far *do* seem pretty crappy for the average fighter, I'll give you that. Maybe it's more about enablers for the other classes? If the meteoric dagger is a good 'un for a mid-level mage, maybe some of the other "underpowered" items are also good for non-traditional character builds.

AFGNCAAP

First Post
I like the MIC not just because it gathers a bunch of magic items into one book (from many sourcebooks), but it includes the DMG magic items on the treasure charts (an obvious but nice-to-have feature).

And, there are at least 2 magic items that I'm very glad they've included:
  • Everfull Mug
  • Everlasting Rations

I try to keep track of rations & whatnot IMC, but this is a nice, cheap alternative compared to the PCs investing in or finding a ring of sustenance (which is nice in its own right, but is expensive in comparison). I also like the replenishing skin, Daern's instant tent, everlasting feedbag, magic bedroll, and field provisions box.

Granted, there are some items I'm not that crazy about, but then again, this book's more of a hit than a miss for me.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Dark Psion said:
My only problem with these items is that after you use them up, what's to stop you from switching them with another item? Does this item have to be worn to recover it's charges? You could require a specific action to recharge them; prayer to Boccob, rinse it in wine, holy water or blood, or something similar.

Well... nothing, but that's not quite the point.

The amulet is a basic power. Most likely, if you find the amulet useful, the amulet of tears will actually become a +2 amulet of health and tears, per the rules for adding the "Big 6" powers to basic items. Suddenly, you no longer want to swap out the amulet.

These items also turn up earlier than those with the permanent bonuses. The boots of jumping aren't as good as those of Striding and Springing, but I guess they're a lot cheaper. (Wish I had my MIC with me... hang on a moment... it's in the car. Back in a moment).

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Just found Scentblinder. It's a great item! But not, you see, a PC item. It's for NPCs - the troglodyte or ghast who wants to infiltrate society (as it surpresses their horrible stench).

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Dark Psion said:
I suppose the Boots of Jumping above are an attempt to undo the popularity of the Boots of Striding & Springing. Some continuous use items are probably too powerful and these "base3" items are an attempt to reign in a dragon that is already in flight.

Boots of Jumping - 2,500 gp.
Boots of Striding and Springing - 5,500 gp.

Boots of Jumping also allow you to taking running jumps with only 10' of a run - a continuous effect. :)

To get Boots of Jumping, Striding and Springing would cost 9,250 gp!

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Quick update:
Meteoric Knife
1 charge - returning
2 charges - returning & flaming
3 charges - returning, flaming & 3d6 explosion.

For 500 extra gp, that's a steal. :) Yes, not every PC will like it, but for the rogues out there...

Cheers!

Lancelot

Adventurer
Holy moly! Only 10' run-up on the Boots of Jumping? Half my players will be gagging for that one. Got a swordsage and a barbarian in my campaigns, both of whom have combat abilities and/or feats which require running jumps. That 20' run-up is the bane of their existence, particularly in dungeon environments.

Friendless

First Post
OK, maybe I just don't see the value in these items. My problem is that once you have a few of these 3 charge items you've got so many aces in so many holes that you forget to use any of them. You spend half of each combat checking your magic item list trying to figure out whether there's anything you should be using right now.

I haven't got up to the magic item sets yet, but the NPC wizard who's accompanying the party (there are only 2 PCs) is exactly the right candidate for The Seven Veils.

There are also a lot of relic items where the item has special powers if you worship the right god and sacrifice a spell slot or take the True Believer feat. I think I like the relic idea, particularly if it costs you a feat to get the item, but I think I'll simplify the powers.

Anyway... item levels. Should PCs not get a +5 sword till 18th level? Should PCs not get a +2 sword till 9th level? Another of my NPCs is a prince of a distant country and in theory he could buy whatever he wanted...

charlesatan

Explorer
Clarification: Relics work as is as long as you're within one step of the deity's alignment (you don't even need to worship them). It's the deity-specific special ability that you need to worship the appropriate deity and have either the spell slot or feat to qualify for it.

As for item levels, they're guidelines. It helps make sure "all your eggs are not in one basket" (i.e. two uber powerful magic items but no other magic items) but following the guidelines in the DMG, you can probably have one or two items that go beyond the item's level (but not consuming all of your gold).

P.S. If the NPC is a prince from a distant country, just make sure to account for his extra wealth in his CR!

Remove ads