Complex underpowered magic items in Magic Item Compendium

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Friendless said:
OK, maybe I just don't see the value in these items. My problem is that once you have a few of these 3 charge items you've got so many aces in so many holes that you forget to use any of them. You spend half of each combat checking your magic item list trying to figure out whether there's anything you should be using right now.

Well, it depends how many you have. :) Consider the job of a 10th level Sorcerer, who probably has 15 different spells he needs to keep in consideration for each combat, not counting magic items like wands.

Players tend to like complexity a lot more than DMs. It gives them options and things to do when it is their turn. A DM is looking to reduce complexity at every turn - which is why I prefer the simpler monsters of MMIV to those devils of MM1 with 20+ spell-like abilities!

Anyway... item levels. Should PCs not get a +5 sword till 18th level? Should PCs not get a +2 sword till 9th level? Another of my NPCs is a prince of a distant country and in theory he could buy whatever he wanted...

Item levels are... very interesting. I'm not quite sure of their application yet. I appreciate the idea... I don't think some key items are costed correctly.

Incidentally, a +2 weapon is a 11th level item (too high?), but will most likely be an upgraded item in the hands of a PC - thus, a 10th + 6th level item. (see page 229).

If you examine the values of the average treasure (in the DMG), you'll find an 11th level treasure has an average value of 7,500 gp. Now, that could be a +2 weapon as the entirity of the treasure. Multiply that 11th level treasure by 13.33 (encounters/level-up) and divide by 4 (PCs in party)... hmm.

Cheers!

Stalker0

Legend
The item levels in the book are an attempt to increase the breath of magic items at the expense of depth. Give players more, less powerful toys overall.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Friendless said:
page 53 Meteoric Knife 2802gp (7th) - +1 dagger, 3 charges/day, 1 charge "returning" for 1 round, 2 charges "flaming" for 1 round as well, 3 charges +3d6 fire explosion if it hits in that 1 round.

I really like that Meteoric Knife! It has some of the quirkiness of old-style magic items, and the potential to become a 'signature item' for a PC. I'd take that in a shot.

Maybe the magic item compendium is more interesting to me than I'd first thought...

Kestrel

Explorer
Love the meteoric knife...versatility and options are what I look for with my pcs.

I like the Sword of Stabbing as well. I like items with quirky abilities. It also seems like something a rogue would commission to have made.

Imagine, you are a rogue that uses the sewers on a regular basis to do your business. What's better than a sword that helps with fighting oozes (which typically live in the sewers), makes you sneakier, or if you run into undead, blesses you? Its a great item Friendless.

Although if i introduced it in my game, I would probably make it immune to acid damage too. (Which would make it a lot more powerful)

Henry

Autoexreginated
Well, as a 12th level cleric who just recently came into a Windfall in the game, I purchased a LARGE number of Magic Item Compendium items to save my most precious resource -- SPELL SLOTS. (we're in Sigil, so the DM has no problem with finding whatever we need)

Do I need to pack a bunch of Lesser Restorations or Restorations each day? Not with an Orb of Mental Renewal and Rod of Physical Renewal at hand. With my Scout's Headband, I can save that 5th level true seeing spell slot for something more meaningful, like, say, Holy Weapon or Flame Strike. With my Rod of Escape, I can take up slack if the rogue's not handy and we need to slip into a locked door. I bought a pair of Caduceus Bracers for the Paladin as a gift, because if I am KO'ed, I want another in the party who can remove bad conditions.

Not to mention the instant neatness of Runestaffs. I turned our party Wizard onto those (don't know if he'll take them up) because he can shore up any weaknesses in his prepped spells, with a Runestaff of Transportation, say, or a Runestaff of a bunch of summoning effects.

Friendless

First Post
Kestrel said:
I like the Sword of Stabbing as well. I like items with quirky abilities.

Well make sure you credit me when you use it because it's not in the MIC :) . I hunted down the item I based it on - Deathstrike Bracers on page 93. They work for one round, 3 times per day so they're not as useful as you hoped. I think when I use MIC items I'll simplify them because I have to do all of the bookkeeping in my campaign (the party leader is 10 years old).

From the comments I've read above, players are going to love the MIC.

Mercule

Adventurer
Lancelot said:
...and I'll go with Merric on the Scentblinder. Even I can't defend that one. :)

I can. Scent has been used several times IMC to great advantage. I expect that that's the exception to the rule, though.

The short answer, though, is that, in the right campaign that would be a rather nice item. Maybe not quite eleventh level, but nice.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
My question is more about the pricing of some of the single-shot items (I think the 3 charges/day items are pretty interesting), which seem somewhat overpriced. The big example that comes to mind is the beholder crown, which gives you one use each of charm monster, charm person, deep slumber, disintegrate, fear, finger of death, flesh to stone, inflict moderate wounds, slow, & telekinesis at save DC 17 for all. Maybe it's my complete inexperience beyond 5th level, but isn't this a bit overpriced at 20,000 gp (15th level)? If you just add up the price for all the scrolls, it's only 9025 gp. If you want to argue that the caster level makes up the difference, it still looks like 10 6th level scrolls would cost less.

Anyway, I'd love to have the confusion cleared up, since I find the same issues with some DMG items, too. :heh:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
freyar said:
My question is more about the pricing of some of the single-shot items (I think the 3 charges/day items are pretty interesting), which seem somewhat overpriced. The big example that comes to mind is the beholder crown, which gives you one use each of charm monster, charm person, deep slumber, disintegrate, fear, finger of death, flesh to stone, inflict moderate wounds, slow, & telekinesis at save DC 17 for all. Maybe it's my complete inexperience beyond 5th level, but isn't this a bit overpriced at 20,000 gp (15th level)? If you just add up the price for all the scrolls, it's only 9025 gp. If you want to argue that the caster level makes up the difference, it still looks like 10 6th level scrolls would cost less.

Anyway, I'd love to have the confusion cleared up, since I find the same issues with some DMG items, too. :heh:

Note that the pricing should be analagous to potions, not scrolls, as any character may use this item, not just spellcasters. Also, the rays are swift actions, allowing you to use one ray as well as perform normal actions in the round.

It's still a lot, and I'm not convinced it's worth it, but the price is actually quite reasonable.

Cheers!

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
What I like about the MIC is the many magic items that aren' t terribly expensive, have nice benefits, and aren't in effect constantly. So a DM can put them in the hoard without worrying about badly overbalancing things in the game. The items are somewhat self-policing because they have limited utility per day.

The main drawback is they are fairly complex and it can be hard enough to get a player to remember all of his bonus when written on his sheet. Add a variable use magic item...

Remove ads