Computer game nostalgia & Mac OS/IOS

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
30 or so years ago, a brilliant little meditative puzzle game called Heaven & Earth was released, first for PCs, then for Macs. It had 3 types of activities: Illusions (where you rearranged tiles on your screen to match the provided image), a pendulum you nudged to hit targets, and a mystic-themed card game.

I loved it, mostly for its card game. The other stuff was fun, but the card game was addictive…at least, for me. Alas, it’s not playable on Macs upgraded to anything post OS X. (Yeah, that goes back a ways.)

I was wondering, though, if anyone knew of an IOS app or that had a similar vibe. (Especially for the card game aspect.)

AAAAAANND while I’m at it…

Same questions go for the ancient computer games Broadsides, Moebius, Playmaker Football, Escape Velocity, and Abuse.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
AAAAAANND while I’m at it…

Same questions go for the ancient computer games Broadsides, Moebius, Playmaker Football, Escape Velocity, and Abuse.

...Wait, so Mac games like Marathon are ancient now?

...WHAT DOES THAT MAKE APPLE ][ GAMES???11????!!!??

Before there was recorded time, Snarf ventured out and played Akalabeth, World of Doom, and recorded his travails on a cuneiform tablet.

PS- Escape Velocity was awesome.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
...Wait, so Mac games like Marathon are ancient now?

...WHAT DOES THAT MAKE APPLE ][ GAMES???11????!!!??

Before there was recorded time, Snarf ventured out and played Akalabeth, World of Doom, and recorded his travails on a cuneiform tablet.

PS- Escape Velocity was awesome.
I loved Marathon!

Regarding your comment, though…

My old Property prof told us about a legal doctrine in which any document older than 30 years old was (rebutably) considered to be genuine. It was called The Doctrine of Ancient Documents.

He then opined, “For many of you, this is the first time something younger than you has been called ‘ancient’. This will not be the last time.”

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
True fact- Marathon was the first visual competitive networked game I played. I had played other things (like MUDs) before, but Marathon I had running on a sweet LAN.

It was amazing. Especially with the spanker - the rocket launcher!
DItto. It was (is) amazing. I also remember waiting with baited breath for Halo to be released (another game with great LAN memories), only to watch in horror when Microsoft bought Bungie...

Remove ads