Computer game nostalgia & Mac OS/IOS

MarkB

Legend
I wound up with an unusable save state in Wizardry 8. There's a mission where you have to rescue two captives from a Rapax encampment, and after I freed them and added them to my party, I immediately teleported back to a safe location.

It was only several hours of gameplay later that I discovered that, even though teleportation was a standard spell, the game didn't account for it's use in this situation. You were supposed to fight your way back out of the camp, encountering and defeating several top-rank Rapax in the process, and that was the only way to progress the main plot.

Fortunately I had a save from prior to the quest, but having to replay so much of the game nearly killed my interest in it.

Dioltach

Legend
I played that old IIe Star Trek game in BASIC where your ship was an “E”, the Klingons were “K”s, stars were asterisks and photon torpedoes were “#”s. I knew just enough to reprogram it so your phasers got MORE powerful the farther away the target.
I played that old BASIC game too, on a Philips P2000. My dad brought home a printout (dot matrix!) of the version he played at work and I spent a whole night typing it out. Never got it to work, though. Perhaps because of typos, or perhaps because my P2000 had 16kb, and the cutting-edge high-tech lab where he worked had 4Gb.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Wow, a lot of truly old school here. I feel like a baby in comparison! The first computer I truly interacted with was an Atari ST, no videogames there though. I only truly owned a W98 PC later. So I'm more familiar with newer games, like Zeus, Wizardry 8, AoE II, NfS III, and in particular a quirky RTS game called Ancient Conquest. Of course, there's D&D games like ToEE and Neverwinter Nights.

GreyLord

Legend
30 or so years ago, a brilliant little meditative puzzle game called Heaven & Earth was released, first for PCs, then for Macs. It had 3 types of activities: Illusions (where you rearranged tiles on your screen to match the provided image), a pendulum you nudged to hit targets, and a mystic-themed card game.

I loved it, mostly for its card game. The other stuff was fun, but the card game was addictive…at least, for me. Alas, it’s not playable on Macs upgraded to anything post OS X. (Yeah, that goes back a ways.)

I was wondering, though, if anyone knew of an IOS app or that had a similar vibe. (Especially for the card game aspect.)

AAAAAANND while I’m at it…

Same questions go for the ancient computer games Broadsides, Moebius, Playmaker Football, Escape Velocity, and Abuse.

Here is the PC version

msdos heaven and earth 1992

and here is the Macintosh version. You need to click on the disk that says heaven and earth to get it to to work I imagine (didn't test it out, just looked it up to find it)

Heaven and Earth Macintosh version

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Here is the PC version

msdos heaven and earth 1992

and here is the Macintosh version. You need to click on the disk that says heaven and earth to get it to to work I imagine (didn't test it out, just looked it up to find it)

Heaven and Earth Macintosh version
Thank you, Internet Angel!

It does seem to work, albeit in B&W and slowly- controlling the cursor is difficult. But now I only have to remember how to play!

And there were some links that may take me to a more current version, or some other info about the game. I now have something to investigate.

Remove ads