Computer Keyboards: anyone else dislike 'Sleep mode' and 'shut down' keys?

frankthedm

First Post
Having just pulled them off the face of my keyboard after hitting the PC Narcolepsy button too often, I'm wondering who else questions having these types of buttons on a keyboard.

Power_management_keys.jpg

Last edited:

IronWolf

blank
Yeah, not a big fan of them either. Not so much because I hit them, but because one of the younger IronPup's seems to find that button a lot when they try to use the computer. Mine is an MS Natural Keyboard and I am pretty sure if I bothered with the software I could disable there as well as in the BIOS as Redrobes suggested.

Merkuri

Explorer
My sleep button is waaay off to the side and inset, so it doesn't bother me much. I never use it, though. Don't see the point.

What I really hate about my keyboard is the "function lock". I don't think they make them quite like this anymore due to customer complaints, but when my computer starts up the F keys on my keyboard don't act like F keys. F1 is "help", F2 is "undo", F3 is "redo", etc. It annoys the heck out of me. I never use them for those "alternate" features.

Most often I end up playing a game or using a program that needs the F keys and I forget to hit the function lock before I start playing and I end up getting upset when I hit F5 to quicksave and nothing happens.

Edit: And apparently the function lock key doesn't even talk to the computer, so programs like AutoHotkey can't detect it or simulate pressing it. This thread made me go searching for a solution and apparently with my particular keyboard there really isn't one, due to the way the function lock key works.

Last edited:

Don't have a sleep key on mine... actually I don't recall seeing it on any keyboard I've had. What I run into with fair consistency however is the Windows key. It's a great idea - I use it a fair amount and I like the fact that it exists but it should NOT be where you can casually hit it, especially when playing games. Stick it up above the numpad with scroll lock and num lock and pause where it's available but will cease being a deathtrap in games.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I had a hibernate button on one computer way back when.

The sleep function on the machine was, I think, the first time the company making them had tried it. The first ten or fifteen times I used it it worked fine. But after that everytime you pressed it the computer crashed. Not even to bluescreen, just total flat out power off. And it was far too easy to accidentally brush against it.

Thanee

First Post
Hah! That's still alright.

My new work computer has a keyboard with the sleep mode key BETWEEN the cursor block and the home/end/del/ins/pgup/pgdwn block.

Now that's clever placement. :lol:

Luckily, those keys can be disabled. :D

Besides, I won't be using that keyboard for real, I will rather use an ergonomic keyboard.

Bye
Thanee

drothgery

First Post
If you keep your computer somewhere where the power button is inconvenient to reach (pretty much always the case for a docked laptop; often the case if it's in a desk with a door over the spot where your desktop is supposed to go), I think I'd really like to have the wake up button.

Having just pulled them off the face of my keyboard after hitting the PC Narcolepsy button too often, I'm wondering who else questions having these types of buttons on a keyboard.

Remove ads