The Greatest Computer Games of All Time (Apple 2 Edition)

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
GREETINGS AND RECRIMINATIONS!

It's been a minute .... That's right, it's time for another in the occasional series of Snarf Lays Down the Law by Presenting an Inarguable List of Greatest Things That People Will Argue With Anyway!

You might be thinking to yourself, "Self, why should I care about this list? Apple II? What is that, anyway? Is that, like, a pre-Mac?" Well, the answer to that is ... you don't have to care. I'm not the Boss of You. YET. But when I am .... MUAHAHAHAHAHA .... you'll wish you read this list. Anyway, I'm a little out of practice, but if I recall correctly, I usually post some sort of rules here.

Rules for the TOP TEN GREATEST APPLE II GAMES OF ALL TIME THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE PLAYED AND YOU WILL FEEL MOAR STUPIDER IF YOU HAVEN'T.

A. This is a list of games for the Apple II (Apple 2). Not the IBM PC. Not the Atari. Not the Commodore 64. Not the Apple IIgs. Not the Mac. Do I mean the Apple II, II+, IIc, or IIe? Yes. Yes I do.

B. By that, I mean that if the game was originally for the IBM PC, it is considered a PC game, not an Apple II game. Not eligible. But many, if not most, of these games were released on multiple platforms and that's fine.

C. I had to have played it. If a game was super awesome but I never experienced it, it just wasn't that awesome, was it?

D. When it was released counts. The heyday of the Apple II was from 1977 until the beginning of 1987 (approximately the release of the Apple IIgs). So while there were come great game released for the platform after that, I am only considering games released in the years 1978 - 1986 (inclusive). I will give a bonus to games released earlier as being "groundbreaking."

E. The list is not in order- this is just the top 10, and being #1 is not more important than being #10.

1. Karateka (1984). Words cannot explain how game-changing Karateka was for the time. This was the first game on the home computer to marry fluid animation and good (if simple) combat. Most importantly, it told a story in its game. Anyone who played it remembers it- and, like many, you likely remember what happened the first time you finally triumphed and approached the princess. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! What?

2. Beyond Castle Wolfenstein (1984). Before games went FPS, there was this gem of a game that invited you to try to win through stealth.

3. Wizardry (1981). Was Bard's Tale better? Sure. Was Might & Magic more fun? Indubitably. But Wizardry was first. It was the proof of a concept that people keep returning to- What if D&D, but on a computer?

4. Star Blazer (1981). Like Wizardry, this game pioneered a format that would be re-used and improved upon in the next few years. Choplifter might have been a better execution (and I do mean execution ... you know what happens when the hostages meet the rotors), but Star Blazer burned the trail.

5. Trinity (1986). Okay, this is a bit of a cheat. A style of game that had its greatest moments back then was the text-based adventure game, aka the Infocom game. I could have picked anything from Zork to Planetfall to Mind Forever Voyaging to Hickhicker's Guide, but I'll go with Trinity as representative of the best in the genre.

6. Aztec (1982). A stunningly original, and mostly forgotten game, from the time, it pushed the Apple 2 to the limits, and often past it, resulting in the occasional maddening glitch along with the exciting gameplay.

7. Taipan! (1982). Hey kids, do you like capitalism? Do you enjoy learning about basic economics while also absorbing some less savory lessons (.... opium always trades well, right)? A game that was both enthralling and, in retrospect, had some elements that might not be considered so savory today, it was still remarkable at the time.

8. The Bilestoad (1982). When anyone tries to sell you the ol', "Things are so much more violent today," just remember that people used to play a game where victory was achieved by chopping off the limbs of your opponent. You know, for kids!

9. Ultima I (1981). Did I like Ultima II better because time travel and humor? Do you know me ... of course I liked it better! Was Ultima III, with multiple characters, a massively better game and evolution? Yep. Is Ultima IV generally considered the best of the early games? Uh huh. But there wouldn't be any of them without Ultima I, and its success. (But Ultima II will always be tops in my heart)

10. Autoduel (1985). Fight me.

Honorable Mentions-
Archon. I LOVED this game. But it was a port from the Atari 8 bit computers.
Lode Runner. Everyone else loved it. I ... thought it was fine. Whatever.
King's Quest. Really, any of the Sierra On-Line games. I was always really meh about these.
Winter Games. Originally a C64 game.
Wasteland. 1988.

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
1. Karateka (1984). Words cannot explain how game-changing Karateka was for the time. This was the first game on the home computer to marry fluid animation and good (if simple) combat. Most importantly, it told a story in its game. Anyone who played it remembers it- and, like many, you likely remember what happened the first time you finally triumphed and approached the princess. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! What?
This game was so hard. Never did finish it. I think the game I played the most was Conan: Hall of Volta. Only because I didn't have any of those other games. And by "I didn't have", I mean "the school didn't have" because I never owned a computer; we had to play on the school computer during lunch time.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I wrote a checkers playing program using Pascal on the 2e senior year of high school... I never got the recursion right on it though, so it might only have thought one or two moves ahead. Yeah, that's all I got for this one.

I know one or two for TRS-80 and early MAC... it's the C64 that I might be able to contribute on

Sacrosanct

Legend
I wrote a checkers playing program using Pascal
Oh yeah, I wrote an arena style battle game using Pascal in 1991 my senior year (no graphics, we had those CRT green text only monitors). My greatest joy was having so many other kids come in during lunch and play it. Sometimes I wonder how my life would be different if I went into computer software programming in the early 90s instead of being a helicopter crewchief in the army. That was the perfect time to get in on the tech boom.

It would be a lot easier to take these lists seriously if they were "Snarf's Favorites" instead of "The Greatest of All Time".

The most immediate and glaring omission from this list is The Oregon Trail. It first appeared as an unlicensed text game in 1971. But the classic version with the graphical interface, as well as the first non-text version published by MECC (which is to say, this is the version that kids everywhere in the US grew up with), was first released on the Apple II (in 1985). The Oregon Trail (1985 video game) - Wikipedia

Also, while we're on the subject of educational games, I'm going to give a shout out to Number Munchers.

And as another honorable mention, but clearly not the best game ever, was a crappy little one off game called "Oh Deer" that I have never seen anyone else talk about. It's a bizarre "sim" style game where you are elected the game warden (or something similar) of a small town and tasked with keeping the local population of white tailed deer in check. It is completely forgettable. Except for the fact that it's effectively impossible to win. If you don't get rid of enough deer, you lose. If you have too many deer hunted/killed, the townspeople get angry at you and you lose. If you spend too much money on having deer trapped an relocated, the townspeople get angry about the cost and you lose. I literally never found a way to keep the town happy. Either there were too many deer, too much hunting, or you spent too much money. My sister was the only person who ever won when, randomly, a forest fire happened. That killed the deer naturally, so the goal without spending any money, and no one in the town was angry at you. At the time, I though this was an amazingly stupid game. As an adult, I recognize that it is the most realistic "sim" game that I have every played.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I'm gonna go with Wizardry. I was navigating that maze at 8 years old on my older brothers green monochrome Apple II. This would have been around 81.

At roughly the same time one of my brothers regifted me two really cool boxes from his closet (Basic/Expert box sets) and here I am today.

The other game I played a ton was Crush, Crumble, and Chomp. The Kaiju game from Epyx.

I'll admit that I can no longer really remember if they were on Apple II or C64 because we didn't have either of those. We had an IBM PCjr. I can only list the games I played at my friends' homes. I definitely recall liking Lode Runner, Impossible Mission, and Taipan! a whole lot, and I'm pretty sure those were on my one friend's Apple II. Oh, also Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, one of the few actually fun educational games that I played the hell out of one year when the school let my mom take her classroom Apple IIgs home for the summer. In spite of all the lore about Oregon Trail, I somehow managed never actually to play that one, however.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I will always have a deep and abiding love for Sir-Tech's Wizardry games. I appreciated how gritty and unforgiving the gameplay could be, and how rich the (mostly text-based) story was. I started playing Wizardry I and II on NES, and then picked up Wizardry V in college after it was released on SNES.

After I bought my first computer, I played (and loved) Wizardry 6 and 7...especially because I could import my previous party of adventurers from "Bane of the Cosmic Forge" into the new "Crusaders of the Dark Savant." And I looked forward to being able to import them into the next game in the sequel...

...and then they released Wizardry 8 and it was a nightmare. They changed the GUI to make it more "modern," they tried to make it look like the 3D-rendered games of the late 90s without actually investing in a game engine, and the whole thing ended up being a hot mess. I wanted the 8th installment of the Wizardry franchise, but what Sir-Tech delivered was "Different RPG Inspired By The Wizardry Franchise." So...alas, they lost me. I never finished Wizardry 8, and I never moved on.

But I still love those old games, and I still play them every now and then. I think my most recent playthrough was Dark Savant, and it was...I think the first Christmas of the pandemic?

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I taught logo on 2e's in the summer of 83, and I remember one that you had to fight earwigs, and devils, pretty cool except I forget the name of it anymore.

Remove ads