Computer Malfunction!

Kallikrates

First Post
In brief:

Primary Computer: Down. Improbable chance of rectifying.

Secondary Computer: Unstable. Improbable chance of staying connected.

In length:

Well just yesterday I was reformatting my brother's and sister-in-law's computer and since I knew that would take a while I decided to open up my computer.

It was of course dustier than a dust bunny's abode.
So I preceded to clean the inside of my computer out with paper towels.

Later on after my brother's computer was done being reformatted I reconnected mine and hit the 'go' button.

It sounded like it wanted to go. Except for two things:
One: The moniter did not display anything.

Two: The computer beeped I thinks around 6 times alerting me to the fact that there was definitely something wrong.

Prognosis:
One: I may have accidently caused a short with a miniscule amount of oil/water/salt off of my fingertips.

Two: The video card finally died.

So...I am currently using the secondary computer. Not good since it has frozen four times.
This has put my summer semester in serious jepoardy since one of my classes is entirely internet based.

End to in breif and in length:
All my characters are temporarily withdrawn until I can get the primary computer back up and running. I may have to rely on my college profressor. Unless someone here has something to say.

Michael. Signing Out

Olath Vlos

First Post
Kallikrates said:
It sounded like it wanted to go. Except for two things:
One: The moniter did not display anything.

Two: The computer beeped I thinks around 6 times alerting me to the fact that there was definitely something wrong.

Depends on the way it beeped (long and short pattern), but it's likely the video card as you said.

Olath's geeky player

Kallikrates

First Post
I believe I would classify it as a series of short beeps. Maybe I can record the audio...don't know how I'm gonna get it up for you to hear though.. Hmm...*drops offline temporarily*

Kallikrates

First Post
6 Beeps.
Possible Problems Dependent on Type of BIOS. Unable To Determine BIOS Type:

8042 Gate-A20 Failure. BIOS cannot switch CPU into Protected Mode;;;
Keyboard controller Gate A-20 Failue;;;
System Board support chip initialization failed;;;

Possible Resolution:
Try a different keyboard OR replace the keyboard fuse if possible.

Discrepency:
Keyboard works on secondary computer.

Ariel:
That might be ineffecient to send a computer with a card.
Plus unless you're a stalker you don't know my address.
I should be back operational very soon IF it is the keyboard.

Alana

First Post
Well, your mistake was using a paper towel to clean off the parts XD There's waaaay to many delicate parts in there to be assaulting it with coarse napkintry... not to mention, it is quite possible static is your culprit, as the handling of computer components doesn't put enough salt or oil/perspiration on the board to cause that particular reaction. You should have used one of those cans of compressed air, held at a safe distance.

Prognosis: I hope you weren't too attached to your pc, because your system is FUBARed. What area do you live in? If you're a Michigander, I can get you a great deal on a barebones system that will work jsut fine for school, and is fully upgradeable if you need to do anything else for it. Or, maybe it could be shipped?

EDIT: Forgot to add, if the keyboard functions on another computer, it isn't the keyboard. You most likely messed up something on the main motherboard, into which your keyboard plugs into, and judging by the other error messages, it's more than that that's been damaged.

Sienna_Rose

First Post
Kallikrates said:
So...I am currently using the secondary computer. Not good since it has frozen four times.
This has put my summer semester in serious jepoardy since one of my classes is entirely internet based.

Isn't there a computer lab you can use, for at least the class about which you're concerned?

Remove ads