Computer Malfunction!

Kallikrates

First Post
I know, but funds are tight. Plus I tracked down the error from Intel's website:

You are getting 6 beeps indicating 8042 - gate A20 failure:

Check for foreign objects such as screws that may ground the motherboard and make sure the screws that hold the motherboard are not too tight.

Try reseating the keyboard controller chip (if possible).

Swap the keyboard.

Swap the processor.

Knowing that the first one is improbable and the 2nd and 3rd one seems nearly impossible since I'm still using the same exact keyboard.

So...I need a new processor...I might as well get a new computer.

For some reason I am heavily reminded of C&C.

Alana

First Post
Kallikrates said:
So...I need a new processor...I might as well get a new computer.

Honestly, if it's complaining about both of those, it's probably just as likely the motherboard as it is the processor. So, yes, new system...

However, exactly how old is the system you have, and what brand? If you reuse the drives, and possibly the memory, then you might be able to get away with a new case and a motherboard/processor combo, worst case scenario you'd have to buy a stick of RAM as well. But still, that's more like $250 or so, compared to $450 for a full new system.

If you have any questions you want addressed more quickly, my MSN is omega_entity@yahoo.com ^_^

Last edited:

Alana

First Post
Olath Vlos said:
Depends on the way it beeped (long and short pattern), but it's likely the video card as you said.

Olath's geeky player

Heh, the mostly-universal beep code for a bad or missing/uninstalled videocard is three beeps, though I can't remember if it's 3 short, or one long and 2 short... I think it's the latter.

Kallikrates

First Post
Bleah! Now even my the secondary computer died.
THe keyboard is out too.
The moniter doesn't look too good either.
Loverly birthday weekend! -_-

I might just have to take up that offer Alana. Only if I had money.
Bleah...I love and computers!

Alana

First Post
Eh, chance are the keyboard is fine, but even if it isn't, those are around $20, without any fancy funtions. The monitor, you can always keep using until it finally dies. Is it CRT or LCD? CRT's are the ones with the huge back and use a picture tube, like with a TV.

If it's CRT, you can extend the life by turning off the power button when you're done using it - if you leave the power on all the time on those monitors, they will eventually burn out, kinda like a lightbulb... it just takes a while.

Will your parents help you out any, since this is actually necessary for your schooling?

Kallikrates

First Post
Hey look! The secondary computer is back up!
I thought it was dead and I was wrong.

Also mmy computer was a Pentium 4; 2.66Ghz; 256MB RAM(Very low...); an integrated Intel something or another video card; 80GB Hard Drive with lots of stuff that I did not expect to denied access to.

And yes the monitor is a CRT.

And no my parents cannot help me. Who woulda thunk that we would have financial struggles for over a decade without a break.

So since I can't gain access to any of my email accounts currently. What kind of motherboard/processor combo would it be?

Alana

First Post
Dang. Well, believe it or not, you can actually recover data from your hard drive, so long as there's a pc repair shop near you that has a similar motherboard - they can hook it up, change the security settings to let you get your data, and do what ya need to to retrieve it.

The processor would be an Athlon 3000+ 64-bit (read: 3 ghz, and Athlon more often than not outperforms its Intel counterparts in benchmark tests), ASUS motherboard, whic are nice and solid, either an integrated or card-based graphics card (likely 128 MB), 512 stick of DDR2 RAM, and as I said, if you can get your data off your hard drive, then you can just reformat it and not have to buy that part... I don't think your
hard drive should have any issues.

HOWEVER! Have we learned a lesson from this experience? Such as, not putting foreign objects in a pc case, and using compressed air if you really feel the need to do some dusting? XD

Kallikrates

First Post
Nope. I'm far from being online again John. All my guys are on extended vacation.

And I know I get the info off my hard drive. Just don't really know how. Bleah...
oh yeah...I can gain access to my email account(s).
I am interested in your offer, but unless I miraculously get hired before the end of this week. I will be forced to turn ya down. :( I'm gonna suffer withdrawals.

Oh ya...My email: gamashinoch@goowy.com
Absurdly long...But the spammers have a extremely difficult time spamming me!
Victory is mine!

Remove ads