• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Computers beat up my role player

Brazeku

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Similarly, the way in which a group I belonged to very, very briefly approached the WoD games was also exceptionally boring to me.

And yet, I don't believe I've ever accused them of not roleplaying ...

Oh I'm not accusing anyone of any such thing. People can roleplay in any game. I could boot up a game of minesweeper and become Captain Mino, the sweepingest Mineclearer. That's not the point. The point is this:

Is roleplaying integral to the game? Y/N

If N, it isn't a roleplaying game. This applies equally to MMOs and PnPs.

Addendum to Hussar: Didn't see your post. The DM question is an interesting one, although I think it is possible to have cooperative games with no DM as well. They run differently, but are still RPGs under the question I've set above as long as the game revolves around the RP element.

Last edited:

Brazeku

First Post
Hussar said:
So, would RP servers would qualify as RPG's?

Depends on what type of impact the RP has on the game itself. If a character's RP can influence the game world in a meaningful way, then sure. Usually there will have to be some kind of mechanical effect, which would probably require an arbitrator or group thereof being in constant attendance.

Hussar

Legend
Well, thinking about this for a sec. If, as the example above indicates, doing the RP allows the group to invade a mountain and hold the mountain against all comers for a period of time, would that qualify as rp having an effect on the game world?

Brazeku

First Post
Hussar said:
Well, thinking about this for a sec. If, as the example above indicates, doing the RP allows the group to invade a mountain and hold the mountain against all comers for a period of time, would that qualify as rp having an effect on the game world?

Under the condition that the roleplaying elements were somehow officially recognized by the game itself, then yes.

See this I said earlier:

"although it is possible in an MMO, through character roleplaying, to assign meaning to holding this castle or that- it always feels inauthentic- like it's something tacked onto the world, and not a part of it."

Hussar

Legend
That sort of brings us around full circle though. The game of D&D doesn't really recognize any role playing. It's certainly not a requirement to play. The DM, OTOH, does recognize role playing. Thus, in order to play an RPG, we need a GM.

But, we already know that's not true.

I'm stuck in a bit of a paradox. Help me out.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Hussar said:
The game of D&D doesn't really recognize any role playing. It's certainly not a requirement to play.
The entire activity of playing D&D (and all that encompasses, including combat) is role-playing. Role-playing is not equal to play-acting.

Brazeku

First Post
Hussar said:
That sort of brings us around full circle though. The game of D&D doesn't really recognize any role playing. It's certainly not a requirement to play. The DM, OTOH, does recognize role playing. Thus, in order to play an RPG, we need a GM.

But, we already know that's not true.

I'm stuck in a bit of a paradox. Help me out.

A lot of the rules that govern roleplaying in D&D are tacit contracts. Their content and impact depend on who your gm/group is. If roleplaying doesn't have an impact in a game of D&D, I'd say that game isn't a role-playing game either. Same goes for any game. There are mechanics which directly allow roleplaying to effect outcomes in place as a toolkit.

As for your GM point, I wasn't disagreeing so much as broadening- what I was saying is that it's possible to have a cooperative control system, run by a group. You do more or less need some type of discerning body to govern the game, though.

Hussar

Legend
Gentlegamer said:
The entire activity of playing D&D (and all that encompasses, including combat) is role-playing. Role-playing is not equal to play-acting.

But, that's a pretty vague answer. I'm roleplaying because I'm playing D&D? But, I'm not roleplaying if I play Everquest? Why?

There are mechanics which directly allow roleplaying to effect outcomes in place as a toolkit.

What role playing mechanics in D&D directly affect outcomes? I can't think of any actually. The mechanics usually don't cover role playing IMO. The game doesn't care if I come up with a fantastic speech or simply roll a Diplomacy check. The game certainly doesn't reward roleplay.

The DM, certainly does, but, the mechanics by and large don't.

Brazeku

First Post
Hussar said:
What role playing mechanics in D&D directly affect outcomes? I can't think of any actually. The mechanics usually don't cover role playing IMO. The game doesn't care if I come up with a fantastic speech or simply roll a Diplomacy check. The game certainly doesn't reward roleplay.

The DM, certainly does, but, the mechanics by and large don't.

Bluff is directly dependent on what you say. The degree of 'believability' is somewhat arbitrary but there are examples as guidelines.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads