• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conan 2nd Edition

ivocaliban

First Post
First off, let me say that I'm not exactly sure I put this in the right forum, but it's late and I don't know of any other way to get an answer to these questions. (No FLGS in the area, unfortunately.)

Alright, so I really want to pick up Mongoose's Conan 2nd edition, but I've heard some pretty terrible rumors about pages falling out of the book due to poor binding. Does anyone have this book and if so how is it holding up?

Just to clarify I don't have any of the previous editions of the Conan RPG. This will be my first purchase. I just want a book that'll hold together!

Is it possible to buy it in pdf and print it yourself?

I'm playing Conan 1e, and it's pretty fun, though we've all realized that scholar, soldier, and thief are the only classes interesting enough to play.

Tetsubo

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Is it possible to buy it in pdf and print it yourself?

I'm playing Conan 1e, and it's pretty fun, though we've all realized that scholar, soldier, and thief are the only classes interesting enough to play.

In the past few months I have attempted to print PDFs at a reasonable price. Both times I was refused service because the document was "copyrighted". They needed written permission from the creator to allow printing.

Good luck.

GlassJaw

Hero
RangerWickett said:

Why are those the only interesting classes? Soldier is quite boring actually. The Thief is my favorite but the barbarian and pirate have a lot of cool abilities, as do the borderer and nomad is you are doing a lot of wilderness adventuring.

ivocaliban

First Post
Well, I just couldn't wait for a reply to my original question. (Though I'm still interested in hearing from anyone who has the 2nd edition book. Speak up, Mongooses...er...Mongeese...of EN World!) I've already ordered a copy of Conan 2nd edition. I'm doing so through Amazon so if the book falls apart...at least I can be sure of a refund/replacement.

As for printing out Conan 2nd edition via pdf format, it seems a fairly tedious and somewhat expensive endeavor considering it's a 420 page book. Assuming you use 24 lb. paper and half (probably more with that innate border) a cartridge of black ink it'll probably run you close to half the cost of the hardcover version through Amazon.com ($26.37 when I placed my order). Same reason I never printed out the entire Revised Tome of Horrors (3.5e). I just print out creatures/templates as I need them.

Last edited:

GlassJaw said:
Why are those the only interesting classes? Soldier is quite boring actually. The Thief is my favorite but the barbarian and pirate have a lot of cool abilities, as do the borderer and nomad is you are doing a lot of wilderness adventuring.

Soldiers get feats, and feats let you do all the ridiculous and fun combat maneuvers that show up throughout the splatbooks. Thieves get sneak attack and lots of skills, which help with the type of game we run, since there is a lot of jumping from trees onto the backs of two-headed scaled jungle gods (i.e., tyrannosaurs), and tumbling through mobs of hundreds of cultists while sorcerously-controlled crocodiles try to drag you down into the river, and running along unsteady rope bridges, and having to hold onto the flying sorcerer who cuts it out from beneath you while the two of you are poised directly beneath the black soul-ichor arrowhead of a massive, mile-long arrow that was driven into the earth and now hangs ready to fall and slay the demons who are bound in the world's heart.

Barbarians? Ooh, they get to hold swords in their teeth.

ivocaliban said:
First off, let me say that I'm not exactly sure I put this in the right forum, but it's late and I don't know of any other way to get an answer to these questions. (No FLGS in the area, unfortunately.)

Alright, so I really want to pick up Mongoose's Conan 2nd edition, but I've heard some pretty terrible rumors about pages falling out of the book due to poor binding. Does anyone have this book and if so how is it holding up?

Just to clarify I don't have any of the previous editions of the Conan RPG. This will be my first purchase. I just want a book that'll hold together!

Sorry, just saw this.

I've read it through a couple times and not had any pages fall out. I got mine at GenCon fresh off the truck, and every copy had a slight warp to the covers, though. I picked through till I found the best copy and as soon as I got home stuck it under a pile of heavy stuff. I don't know how it would hold up to serious use. It's is pretty damn big (400+ pages), and I think most books that size will not take well to frequent use in postitions where the pages are suspended by the binding rather than by the covers.

ivocaliban

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Sorry, just saw this.

I've read it through a couple times and not had any pages fall out. I got mine at GenCon fresh off the truck, and every copy had a slight warp to the covers, though. I picked through till I found the best copy and as soon as I got home stuck it under a pile of heavy stuff. I don't know how it would hold up to serious use. It's is pretty damn big (400+ pages), and I think most books that size will not take well to frequent use in postitions where the pages are suspended by the binding rather than by the covers.

Many thanks for the reply!

You pretty much summed up what I expected. The largest rpg book I have is A Game of Thrones (nearly 500 pages) and, while I haven't used it in a game, it seems to hold up just fine to repeated readings and browsing. While it's a bit much to think the Conan book will be on that level of quality, I'm notoriously careful with my books, so maybe it'll hang together.

My copy should arrive in a few days. I'll update this thread once I've had a chance to take a look at it. Thanks again!

Azgulor

Adventurer
So far mine has held up fine. I try to take good care of my books in general and avoid creasing/splitting the spine whenever possible, though. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

ivocaliban

First Post
Azgulor said:
So far mine has held up fine. I try to take good care of my books in general and avoid creasing/splitting the spine whenever possible, though. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Good to hear! Thanks for letting me know. Still waiting for my copy to arrive....

Remove ads