D&D 4E Conan vs the Swarms of Soldiers.

Tony Vargas

Legend
By the numbers can a lone level 1 fighter who did take cleave take down 8 level 1 minions? (And how badly would they eat one who didnt have it)
Now without some choke point limiting their attacks I think the answer is still no... using the battle field well however makes all the difference.

If he can choke point them down to only 2 attacking per round.... in 3 rounds he would kill 4 and take only 3 hits in 6 rounds the other 4 would go down and he would be on the edge having taken 6 minion class wounds ie still ouch but pass the potion or dwarven second wind.
Combat Superiority cuts down on the enemies' options when trying to surround the fighter, too. Even a 15' wide corridor, for instance, would mean provoking if more than 3 tried to engage at once.

Of course, then there's ranged minions - then you're likely to do a Boromir instead of a Conan....

MwaO

Adventurer
8 level 1 minions is a level+4 fight…while the Fighter deliberately only uses at-wills…

And in any case, this is about power selection. A well-built Fighter has a range of attack options - a close burst, a damage option, etc...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
8 level 1 minions is a level+4 fight…while the Fighter deliberately only uses at-wills… .

I was looking to see what fighter level 1 Non at-wills would be handy vs 8 minions... more damage is just useless.

There seemed to be one that allowed him to target 3 enemies... once.

MwaO

Adventurer
I was looking to see what fighter level 1 Non at-wills would be handy vs 8 minions... more damage is just useless.

There seemed to be one that allowed him to target 3 enemies... once.

If you're in a scenario where you're by yourself as a level 1 PC and you know your DM is throwing tons of minions at you, Dragonborn is a pretty good selection for that reason. Move+Tempest Dance+Dragonbreath+AP: Cleave might very well take them all out...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
If you're in a scenario where you're by yourself as a level 1 PC and you know your DM is throwing tons of minions at you, Dragonborn is a pretty good selection for that reason. Move+Tempest Dance+Dragonbreath+AP: Cleave might very well take them all out...
Nods on the Action Point use it seems very likely you would pull it out when pressed this heavily...
At minimum it would make the cleave using fighter with a choke point a lot more certainty.

Tempest Dance I think was I think the one I noticed...

However that Dragon breath (Minor Action, Close Blast 3) seems a bit like cheating ;) and rather anti Conanish ;) without really heavy reflavoring.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It looks like if we build a Barbarian cough cough cough... seems like
you might even accidentally be fairly badass against a bunch of minions.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Ana, level 1
Human, Barbarian
Build: Thaneborn Barbarian
Feral Might: Thaneborn Triumph
Human Power Selection: Bonus At-Will Power

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 13, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 15.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 13, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 15.

AC: 15 Fort: 17 Reflex: 13 Will: 13
HP: 28 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Heal +4, Endurance +5, Perception +4, Nature +4

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering -1, History, Insight -1, Intimidate +2, Religion, Stealth, Streetwise +2, Thievery, Athletics +3

FEATS
Human: Wrathful Recovery
Level 1: Improved Roar of Triumph

POWERS
Barbarian at-will 1: Whirling Rend
Barbarian at-will 1: Howl of Fury
Bonus At-Will Power: Pressing Strike
Barbarian encounter 1: Great Cleave
Barbarian daily 1: Rage Drake's Frenzy

ITEMS
Hide Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Battleaxe, Handaxe
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am not sure whether that is satisfying or not the AD&D fighter was arguably inspired by Conan in a general sort of way hence why I have referred to the fighter in most of the thread, and they did indeed have some multi-attack capability which made them lawn mowers when it came to that games minion analogs... Although the likelihood of those type enemies showing up were in practice very very low.

Remove ads