• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Concealing Amorpha Powers from XPH

saucercrab

Explorer
On a related note, would traditional counters to blur & displacement (like true seeing, blindsense, blindsight, etc.) be useful against the concealing amorphas?

Going by the flavor text, I'd again want to say no for the most part, as the effect isn't some type of illusion, but a slightly opaque, physical substance that impedes accuracy (that make sense?).

Actually, I'd really like to find some ways around the powers, if possible.

atom crash

First Post
It's a metacreativity power, which creates an object from ectoplasmic material. The membrane is "quasi-real." That doesn't sound like an illusion to me.

saucercrab

Explorer
Oh, I quite agree. I'm just wondering if there are any ways around the two powers, other than dispelling (via magic or psionics).

Caliban

Rules Monkey
atom crash said:
It's a metacreativity power, which creates an object from ectoplasmic material. The membrane is "quasi-real." That doesn't sound like an illusion to me.

Many illusions are quasi-real. Look at Shadow Invocation and Shadow Conjuration.

atom crash

First Post
Many illusions are quasi-real. Look at Shadow Invocation and Shadow Conjuration.

True enough.

I had briefly considered Shadow Conjuration earlier but I wouldn't know how to adjudicate it. A concealing amorpha gets a 20% miss chance. A Shadow Conjuration is 20% real. Sorta similar.

How would the power interact with trueseeing, blind sense or blindsight, in your opinion?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
atom crash said:
True enough.

I had briefly considered Shadow Conjuration earlier but I wouldn't know how to adjudicate it. A concealing amorpha gets a 20% miss chance. A Shadow Conjuration is 20% real. Sorta similar.

How would the power interact with trueseeing, blind sense or blindsight, in your opinion?

Exactly the way Blur would. It's the psionic version of that spell, after all.

saucercrab

Explorer
Caliban said:
Exactly the way Blur would. It's the psionic version of that spell, after all.
If it were, wouldn't it be called blur, psionic? Concealing amorpha doesn't disguise its image, like an illusion, but makes a physical substance surrounding a creature.

True Seeing can't penetrate physical objects & is ineffective against fog & similar (meaning physical?) effects. Also, can blindsight & blindsense penetrate physical matter either?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
saucercrab said:
If it were, wouldn't it be called blur, psionic? Concealing amorpha doesn't disguise its image, like an illusion, but makes a physical substance surrounding a creature.

True Seeing can't penetrate physical objects & is ineffective against fog & similar (meaning physical?) effects. Also, can blindsight & blindsense penetrate physical matter either?

It's not truly physical or it would be cover, not concealment.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Caliban said:
It's not truly physical or it would be cover, not concealment.

Leaves on a bush are not physical and not concealment? ;)

I think the issue is not about physical vs. illusion, it is about a psionic effect that gives concealment due to you actually being concealed behind something as opposed to most magical concealments which are illusory in nature.

In the case of Concealing Amorpha, I think the only three basic ways to overcome it are:

1) dispelling - Dispel Magic / Dispel Psionics / Dismiss Ectoplasm
2) negating - Antimagic Field / Null Psionics Field
3) penetration - some form of XRay vision or such

True Seeing would not work (thank goodness something finally stops True Seeing ;) ).

Caliban

Rules Monkey
KarinsDad said:
Leaves on a bush are not physical and not concealment? ;)

I think the issue is not about physical vs. illusion, it is about a psionic effect that gives concealment due to you actually being concealed behind something as opposed to most magical concealments which are illusory in nature.

In the case of Concealing Amorpha, I think the only three basic ways to overcome it are:

1) dispelling - Dispel Magic / Dispel Psionics / Dismiss Ectoplasm
2) negating - Antimagic Field / Null Psionics Field
3) penetration - some form of XRay vision or such

True Seeing would not work (thank goodness something finally stops True Seeing ;) ).

It's only quasi-real, not a solid object. True Seeing would see throught it just fine.

Regardless of whether or not physical objects can grant concealment or cover, it's not a physical object.

Last edited:

Remove ads