• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Congrats to Changeling!

chromeraven

First Post
I'm glad to hear Changeling is getting recognition. The old was a favorite, and the new does not disappoint at all.

I have to add my name to the list of folks who don't get to play nearly enough. This game has been a blast to run on the couple occasions where I got to do so. I'd really love a chance to play in a game though.

Heh, actually, I loved Shelly's Frankenstein, accessible or not. One of the biggest things that draw me to Promethean is how well it emulates the feel of the novel. But I'll try to pick up Koontz's piece as well, if it does the original justice.
I love it too. Most people can't get into it though. I recommended it for the other players but, alas, readers they are not. The struggle of the Monster in the original, his trek to the wasteland, and his contempt, yet fascination, for the world the rejects him is central to the theme of Promethean. If you loved the original then there's no reason to worry about storytelling Promethean. The essential conflict of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is central to Promethean.

sophist

First Post
I think Changeling is by far the best of the new World of Darkness. It returns a sense of wonder and beauty to the not wholly human that Vampire and Werewolf so sorely missed.

I also feel that the bashing old the old WoD is only based on specialized experience, as the "problems" explained were never relevant to the games I was in. We enjoyed the bold ideas of the old WoD, and never need a nerfed system to enforce game balance.
The nWoD is also more moralistic and manichean than the old ever was. Deviate from the human norm and become a monster, a lesser thing, cursed, to be ahorred.:erm: And all this talk of the soul suffuses the WoD with more Judeo-Christian Ideology than any Caine-Myth could ever do.
(but to discuss this in detail would be for some other thread)

Most of this thankfully toned down in Changeling and the addition of a bright and nice side to changeling exsistence make the games really shine aginst the other WoD games.
BEAUTY and some horror, that's how we played the Masquerade and now Changeling brings it back, together with the green color that VtM had. For me, CtL is the true successor to VtM.

Last edited:

Wombat

First Post
Changeling is one of the few games I have ever enjoyed playing and running RAW.

Heck, I houserule Monopoly!

To my eyes, this makes for a great game :)

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Promethean is my all time favourite PnP ever. With Changeling: The Lost coming second.

There is just something about Promethean, it is too bad it is a hard game to find people willing to play, has a much more niche appeal.

Jhaelen

First Post
Your houseruling only suggests that it's a flawed system.
?What houseruling? Did I miss something in SSquirrel's post? Maybe the old system was more difficult to balance or rule but for a storytelling game it was perfect.

I was utterly disappointed by the nWoD version of Mage. Unlike the oWoD version, I found it bland, it didn't inspire me at all, didn't make me want to run or play the game.

The nWoD rules themselves are pretty much okay, though. After reading those, I could actually imagine playing a game with mere mortal pcs.

I think I'll have to check out the nWoD Changeling game. I've heard a lot of good things about it. It seems to be closer to what I'd expect a game about modern Fae should be.

I didn't like the old one very much, though, I always thought the oWoD version was the worst of the bunch. I only bought it for 'completeness'.

Crothian

First Post
I was utterly disappointed by the nWoD version of Mage. Unlike the oWoD version, I found it bland, it didn't inspire me at all, didn't make me want to run or play the game.

New Mage is my least favorite of all the new World of Darkness games. I can see how it is better but it just hasn't shown me the creativeness of the other games.

The nWoD rules themselves are pretty much okay, though. After reading those, I could actually imagine playing a game with mere mortal pcs.

I have found the rules to be a good improvement. There are less exceptions and it is easier for new people to pick the rules up. Combat has a few issues but over all I have been pleased with the rules. The World of Darkness line which is the mortal game has been amazingly good. It is the best series for good mortal horror RPG as I've seen.

I think I'll have to check out the nWoD Changeling game. I've heard a lot of good things about it. It seems to be closer to what I'd expect a game about modern Fae should be.

What do you expect out of a modern Fae game? If you tell us that many of us can easily answer if the game is it. There has been some different Fae games that could actually be a better fit for you depending on your vision.

I didn't like the old one very much, though, I always thought the oWoD version was the worst of the bunch. I only bought it for 'completeness'.

What didn't you like about? As a big fan of the game I'll be the first to admit it has some problems. If you ever wish to get rid of what you have for the game line, drop me an e-mail I'm always willing to trade for more old Changeling books.

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
What are you missing?
A couple of the Kithbooks and some of the last books that came out detailing the war. I'd need to go donw the list to make sure. Email me if anything.

On topic: I'm actually very happy to see new Changeling get so much love in the noms. I thought it was a fantastic game that did it's own thing in regards to the interpretation of Changelings and Fae, yet still had a good hook for lovers of the Dreaming to come in. From Fear-Maker's Promise to Lords of Summer, every product has been top notch in writing and mechanics. If anything, my only complain is that I wish they were in color.

Remove ads