Conjuration Wizard 2/Thief Rogue 3

faria

First Post
One thing you should note however, is that while minor conjuration can create objects, it can't create a healers kit (as this isn't a single object, but a small collection of related objects). As such, while you could minor conjure a single bandage, or a single needle, you couldn't conjure the bandages, suture thread, and needle as a single use of minor conjuration.

One final point - Fast Hands won't help you with healing potions, or magic item useage. While it isn't stated clearly in the PHB - the DMG clearly states that using a magic item is the "Use Magic Item" action, not the "Use Object" action. As such, Thief Rogues cannot use healing potions as a bonus action (even they require an action). Likewise, if a magic item allows you to cast a spell, you are performing the "cast a spell" action - so again, you couldn't cast a fireball from a wand/staff as a bonus action either.

I'd argue that I could conjure a kit. Everything is made up of parts. If you can conjure a hat made of cotton with a leather trim and a feather poking out the side, you're combining several objects. A bag of ball bearings or a bucket of grease or a sandwich or even a pair of dice are technically multiple objects too.

Also, I can't feed a healing potion to someone as a bonus action? That seems so silly... How is that any different than giving them a swig from my waterskin?

kalani

First Post
Well, first - the Healing Potion requires an unspecified action in the PHB (it is not labeled as a use object action):
PHB p153 said:
Potion of Healing. A character who drinks the magical red fluid in this vial regains 2d4 + 2 hit points. Drinking or administering a potion takes an action.

In all fairness, this is the same unspecified action as using a flask of oil, alchemists fire, or holy water, so arguments could be made that it is the same action, except for the fact that in each of these three examples you make a ranged attack (making this an Attack action). Ball bearings and caltrops also require an unspecified action, which most people assume is the Use Object action - so again, there is some leeway for interpretation if you only look at the PHB entry.

The main difference however, is that the potion of healing is one of the few items of adventuring gear which is in italics (indicating that the item is magical in nature). None of the above-mentioned items are written in italics, so making a blanket assumption that healing potions function the same way just because its listed in the same section is drawing premature conclusions.

However, as soon as you look at the rules for Magic Items in the DMG, it quickly becomes apparent that using a magic item is different than using other objects. Since this rule is not an optional or variant rule, unless your DM house-rules that magic items function differently in their game, the default rule is as follows:
DMG p141 said:
ACTIVATING AN ITEM
Activating some magic items requires a user to do something special, such as holding the item and uttering a command word. The description of each item category or individual item details how an item is activated.

Certain items use one or more of the following rules for their activation.
If an item requires an action to activate, that action isn't a function of the Use an Item action, so a feature such as the rogue's Fast Hands can't be used to activate the item.
CONSUMABLES
Some items are used up when they are activated. A potion or an elixir must be swallowed, or an oil applied to the body. The writing vanishes from a scroll when it is read. Once used, a consumable item loses its magic.
As you can see, drinking a potion is NOT a use objects action. It is the use magic item action, and in particular it is a use consumable item action.

Last edited:

kalani

First Post
I'd argue that I could conjure a kit. Everything is made up of parts. If you can conjure a hat made of cotton with a leather trim and a feather poking out the side, you're combining several objects. A bag of ball bearings or a bucket of grease or a sandwich or even a pair of dice are technically multiple objects too.

Also, I can't feed a healing potion to someone as a bonus action? That seems so silly... How is that any different than giving them a swig from my waterskin?

By RAW, you can only conjure one object. A feathered hat might be handwaived as a single object (but even that might not be allowed by some DMs), but a bag of ball bearings or an entire tool kit can't. You could conjure the pouch, or a single ball bearing. Likewise, conjuring an entire toolkit is not conjuring a single item - it is conjuring many different related items that function together to allow you to perform a profession (eg. artisan's tools), or achieve a similar objective.

A disguise kit isn't just a single item - it is a collection of powders, dyes, wigs, simple prosthetics, and other objects that make it easier to disguise yourself. If you have ever watched the show Face/Off, all of the things used when they do those quick 1-2hr makeups is basically what you are talking about. A gaming set includes all the items/objects/pieces for a single game - such as checkers, or chess (called dragonchess in 5e). You cannot state in good conscious that a chess SET is a single object in the real world (it has at least 33 objects in the set, not counting the container you store them in), so how could you claim it is in dnd just so you could minor conjure it?

No, Minor conjuration is specific. It doesn't conjure a single piece of Adventuring Gear (which sometimes includes a set of related items), it conjures a single item/object. ONE object, not one SET of objects. So if you want caltrops, you conjure ONE caltrop in your hand (not a whole bag of them).

faria

First Post
I don't like that strict interpretation... DnD is supposed to be fun and reward creativity. If you don't want me to conjure a bucket with my grease then fine, but how much grease counts as one item?

Last edited:

Remove ads