Consequences of the Quill (Restored 5/13/06)

LordVyreth

First Post
The Price of a Soul: Strategic and Not So Strategic Misdirection

The party traveled farther into the strange forest, and eventually they found themselves in a massive “room.” The branch path they’ve used since Blediggs got his bearing after the thorciasid battle took them into a relatively clear area under the canopy. However, Blediggs stopped the party at the entrance to the canopy and pointed at a strange fungus growing in the middle of the chamber. “That’s no ordinary fungus,” he warned. “That’s a mu spore. It’s like that cockroach we fought before; it’s an ordinary nuisance to the gods, but a catastrophe to us.”

That being said, the party had to get past this creature if they wanted to reach the center of the Glade in time, so they quickly prepared for another battle. Danae and Tiana weaved powerful magic around themselves, Azat changed into his alternate were-form, and Bat and Amon got ready to charge the beast as Robin, Tal, and Danae moved to be in an ideal position to attack from a distance. As soon as the party charged, the fungus grew a pair of gigantic legs and moved to defend itself. It tried to bite at the heroes, but Bath and Amon were both too quick for it. It managed to release a few sprays of razor sharp spores at the party and a couple more of the giant, chaos-tainted scorpions were attracted by the noise of battle and tried to make a meal of them as well, but collectively the three were no match for the party. They quickly finished the creatures and hurried to reach their target in time.

Finally, hours later, the party began to descend from the branches, for they were near the center of the forest. Shortly after they reached the ground level, Blediggs took a more direct approach to guiding them again, since he knew this area by memory. Finally, he directed the party to a giant clearing in the woods. “Here we are at last,” he said as he gestured towards the clearing. “The resting place of lost souls. It would be their final resting place, I’m sure, if there wasn’t the whole tear in reality thing to complicate things.”

The party looked over the clearing. There were two noteworthy objects in the clearing. First of all, there seemed to be approximately a hundred tall slabs of crystal arranged grid-like in the middle of the clearing. Each crystal had a spectral form floating lifelessly within it. Most were human, elf, or benefactor drow, but there was a smattering of gnomes, halflings, goblins, demons, and giants as well. It only took few moments for the party to notice the cerebrilith demon they had killed in the Rift, along with the gold Rilmani, some of the giants that were killed in their first attempt to capture Tesserill, and a few other gray-robed cultists encountered in their journeys. She wasn’t immediately within sight, but the party had little doubt that the Blade of Minds was resting here as well.

However, the other notable object in the clearing was more disturbing, if no less surprising. A strange, disc-like ripple filled much of the sky above the clearing. It was hard to see what exactly was on the other side of the ripple, but what they could see was out of some sort of mad and terrible nightmare. Strange beasts seemingly randomly composed of vaguely organic parts floated over, watching the glade with mad desire. The sky above them boiled, oozed, churned, shifted colors and consistency, and was filled with twisted flying monsters at various places. And the ripple was expanding before their very eyes.

Time was running out, but the party still didn’t even know how to free their target. Should the try to break the prison? Would that save her or irrevocably destroy her soul, sending her to eternal oblivion? For now, though, they had to at least find her. As they began to search the slabs, however, some of the creatures peering at them from the Far Realms took notice. Two of them pressed against the portal, hungry for this strange new food, and they landed in a sickly heap in reality.

The party quickly became aware of these new threats and mobilized to fight them. One was vaguely humanoid and slightly resembled a gorilla. However, it had four arms and two legs that all ended in tentacles, and a seventh weapon grew out of the top of its head. The other had a snake body and a human-like head. Its tail was another tentacle, and another four of the hideous protrusions grew out of the middle of its body and seemed to move about on its body as it lunged at the party.

Tal prepared to attack the gorilla-thing, but his magic failed to penetrate the creature’s aura. Despite this, Bath shrugged and charged the beast. After all, strange as these creatures are, they’re not even as large as she was, let alone as powerful-looking as the fungus creature. They can’t be that much of a threat. She flew up to the creature and swung her sword confidently. It was a well-aimed shot, but to Bath’s shock, the attack completely bounced off of the creature! What were these things made of? As she pondered this, the creature lashed at her using many of its tentacles. Bath managed to evade a few of them, but a few were able to connect with Bath, and they wrapped around her, trapping her in its deadly embrace.

As Bath prepared to deal with this strange new threat, Tiana and Amon surrounded the snake creature, but they had no luck striking it either. Danae prepared to help them, but realized that most of her remaining power spells were explosive in nature or otherwise affected a large area, and she didn’t want to risk attacking the crystal slabs and destroying the souls until she knew what it would do. She helped fight the creature grappling Bath using some magic missiles, but it didn’t do much good.

However, as Azat and Robin tried to help Tiana and Amon defeat the snake, which seemed a little weaker than the gorilla, Blediggs had an idea. The monsters had nearly impenetrable armor, but they were also extremely fast and agile. However, when they were distracted by grappling a party member, they weren’t able to evade enemy attacks. He demonstrated this by attacking the gorilla thing and calling out to the others, “Hey, try attacking them while they’re busy grappling somebody!”

The others nodded as they realized what Blediggs meant, and Amon lured the snake creature to him and willingly let the creature grapple him. Meanwhile, Tal decided to try a new tactic on the gorilla-creature. He used a spell capable of weakening the spell resistance of a creature, letting his spells more easily attack the creature. Bath continued to struggle against the creature, but failed to damage it or break away from it. To make things even worse, she slowly felt her life force draining away. The creature’s touch was corrupting her very body, making it succumb to chaos. If this kept up, she would completely break apart as her very order was destroyed!

Realizing the threat to their strongest fighter, Danae carefully moved up to the creature and touch Bath, then used her magic to teleport a short distance away. Bath was free, but the gorilla monster turned its attentions on Blediggs! It quickly began to suck the life force out of him, forcing Tal, Robin, Bath, and Danae to attack it before it can kill their guide! They finally finish the beast, leaving Blediggs alive but dying on the floor. Bath quickly moved to heal him as best she can while the rest of the party prepared to finish the second pseudonatural monster.

While this was going on, Amon, Azat, and Tiana were focusing on the snake monster. Amon was initially held, but Azat used magic that gave his movement complete freedom, letting him slip out of the monster’s grip. He soon used the same magic on himself, and the two of them alternated being grappled by the snake while the freed one and Tiana attacked. By the time Danae and the rest of the party were ready to help, they had almost finished the creature. And when the party was able to completely surround it, it was quickly destroyed.

Though there enemies are dead, the party still had a problem to deal with; what to do with the trapped souls? They were reluctant to break the slabs, but had no idea how to rescue them. Finally, Bath had an idea. “Let’s just break the slab of one of the trapped demons. If it frees the soul, we know what we have to do to free the others, and if not, all we lose is a demon soul we didn’t care about in the first place.”

The others agreed (though Blediggs made a mental note that the demon they’re freeing can count for the party’s share if they destroy it,) and Bath shattered the slab with one swing of her sword. To the party’s relief (but Bath’s slight disappointment,) the soul was unharmed and appeared to be capable of moving now, though it was extremely confused and seemed to have almost no will of its own. The party quickly freed the rest of the souls, including Tesserill’s. As expected, she was also confused when she was saved, but she recovered quickly when she saw the party.

“You!” she telepathically shouted. “Haven’t you done enough to me? Can’t you let my soul rest in peace?”

An ashamed Danae looked away, but Tal as always took on the role of diplomat. “You misunderstand,” he began, “We’re here to save you.” He pointed to the ripple over the Glade. “This realm is doomed, and you will be as well if you don’t come with us.”

The Blade of Minds immediately recognized what that portal led to, but she wasn’t going to travel with her enemies so easily. “And where will we go? This was supposed to be our place of rest, and now it’s being destroyed.”

Blediggs shrugged. “Well, according to the contract, half of you are coming with me. Don’t worry, my master will treat you with kindness, and if you’re really lucky, you could be reborn as slaad like me!”

Tesserill gasped, and the rest of the party gave Danae an accusing glance. Danae herself was having second thoughts as well. After all, these people (except for the demons and other psionic monsters,) weren’t that much different from her in terms of what they believed in. They might have been enemies in life, but they deserved a fair afterlife. She sighed and asked Blediggs, “would it be possible for us to change the deal?”

Blediggs looked a little worried about that and said, “Well, I suppose, but it won’t be cheap. You owe me 50 souls, so I’ll be willing to part with them at the cost of 5,000 per soul.”

“Done,” Danae forcefully said, but she quickly reconsidered. “Well, I don’t think we’ll worry about those souls,” she said as she pointed to the cerebrilith demon that they killed earlier. “You can keep the evil ones.”

A bit of magic let the party determine that 15 of the souls were evil, so Danae gave them to Blediggs and paid him for the remaining 35. This obviously made the rest of the party feel a lot better about this deal, and it clearly had an impact on Tesserill as well. Even she had to admit that saving all but the most evil of her followers from a fate potentially worse (and certainly weirder) than oblivion took great amounts of mercy, but they still have to figure out where exactly she and her fellow petitioners could go.

“Well, what else is on this plane?” a frustrated Robin asked, prompting Danae, Bath, Amon, and Blediggs to quickly figure out a solution.

After a while, the group had a few ideas. “What about Sigil?” Blediggs offered.

Tesserill shook her head. “That place isn’t safe. Remember, we’ve already been there. Once they realize we came from the Forbidden Plane, we’ll either be forced to tell what we can remember or killed off to avoid provoking the Lady of Pain or The Indigo Entity.”

Amon had another idea. “The Rilmani said they lived here, right? They might welcome you in.”

This idea had some merit, but Blediggs shot it down as they were considering it. “They’re too suspicious to let most outsiders into their land. Besides, they live deep in the heart of the Outlands, where almost no magic works. They’re protected from this effect because they’re natives to the area, but I don’t think you would survive it.”

Finally, Bath figured out a decent solution. “What about the realm of Boccob the wizard? He has a similar moral code to you and your followers, and he isn’t worshipped on your plane, so he shouldn’t care about the Bas situation.”

Tesserill and many of her followers agreed that this was a fine solution, and the others decided to take their chances on the planes as a while. Blediggs offered to take them back to Glorium with him and the petitioners he purchased, and after Bath and Danae made sure he understood completely that they’ll be checking up on him in a few days to make sure he didn’t take these followers and give them to his master along with his purchases, they agreed to let them go. The party then had to worry about physically bringing all the followers to Boccob’s realm. After filling their portal holes with most of the followers, Danae tried to teleport the entire group to Boccob’s library based on what she knows of how it looks. Unfortunately, she didn’t succeed.

They ended up in a library all right, but something seemed wrong somehow. The party quickly investigated, but something found them first. It was a strange, blue, creature of some sort. It looked like it tried communicating with the party, but instead of a voice, it projected a strange balloon over its head filled with letters and symbols.

The party tried to quickly figure out what this means. “The first word looks like a W plus a hat?” Amon said with a confused voice.

“I think that means What,” Tiana said. “And the next two words are just the letters R and you. What are you…” she continued.

“I don’t get this next part,” Bath complained. “It looks like wet grass?”

“Dew!” Robin shouted happily; glad to put his nature skills to use here. “And it ends with the letters ING. What are you doing?”

Azat finished the verbal riddle. “The last word is the letter H plus an ear. What are you doing here?”

Realizing this creature was upset and after finally figuring out what it was, Danae gasped. “This thing serves the Lady of Pain! I think we’re in her personal library!” Turning to the creature, she apologized profusely. “I’msorryi’msorryi’msorry! We wanted to visit Boccob’s domain, but we got misdirected. We’ll leave as quickly as possible, we swear!”

The creature seemed to understand, and it teleported the party to Boccob’s realm, successfully this time. From here, getting Boccob to accept the petitioners was easy. After all, his guests were from the Forbidden Plane, and while he understood that he couldn’t share their stories with the world at large, they could at least tell him and let him expand the general knowledge of his library.

Now that the party took care of Tesserill, it was time for her to return the favor. “Now that you’re at peace after death, can you please help us on our mission at home? We need to know where Bas is.”

Tesserill didn’t seem to have any problems betraying her former goddess now that her ties to her life were finally allowed to fade, but her memories were fading as well. “I don’t know exactly,” she admitted. “But I know a way you can find out.”

OOC Notes: Find out the way in about two weeks (well, a week and a half; sorry for the late update.) As of now, there are only two adventures between here and where the party is right now, so we’re finally almost caught up. A lot of this adventure after the fight in the Glade was improvised, including the botched teleportation attempt by Danae and the bit with The Lady of Pain’s library. Does anyone remember the names of those creatures that serve her? I was in a Planescape one-shot adventure once that featured one, so I knew about the strange speech that they had, but I don’t remember their names.

LordVyreth

First Post
The Eye of Nerull: Gaining Access

Tesserill began her idea for how the party can find Bas. “Now, some of the details are a little unclear for me now. I think I’m losing my memory of my life, and besides, Bas’ location is blocked by her divine will. Even now it’s affecting my memory of her. However, I have enough left to give you the basics of the plan. For months, my temple has been planning to find a way to find your home, Methosilang. Finally, we discovered information about the Eye of Nerull, an artifact the size of a building built by the undead empire. It lacks the ability to bypass the divine protection of either Bas or your goddesses, but it can be used to indirectly track a target to it. We managed to infiltrate the Eye of Nerull with one of our spies. He’s an expert of incredible ability by the name of Palfrin.”

“Oh, no,” Tal groaned. “Not him again.”

Tesserill ignored him as she continued her story. “While he is there, he is researching a new psionic item that links to the Eye’s power. It will allow a force in control of the Eye to track the items no matter where they are. Once he finishes his research, he will build dozens of them, and then let them get discovered by Methosilang’s forces as treasure. Since they radiate magic, they shouldn’t be treated suspiciously. Once enough of them are captured, we were planning on sending a massive invasion force to briefly capture the Eye and use it to discover the location of the objects, and from there, Methosilang.”

“How does this help us?” a confused Robin asked.

“He should still be there for at least a week. Once he leaves, his first stop will be Bas’ location so he can show her the objects and brief her on the mission’s status. He’ll be there for at least a few minutes. And of course he’ll have the tracking items in his possession at that time.”

Danae smiled as she realized what Tesserill was suggesting. “You want us to track him with the very objects he planned on using to track us?”

“Exactly! Of course, it won’t be easy. You’ll have to find a way to sneak into the Eye yourselves. And I don’t know exactly what Palfrin will look like or be doing there, so you’ll have to figure that out yourselves. Once you know who he is, you just have to keep track of him until he’s ready to leave. Of course then the hard part starts. You’ll have to take control of the Eye’s tracking systems long enough to find Palfrin before he leaves Bas’ pit. And you can expect very powerful forces to guard the Eye. It will be dangerous, but if you can succeed, you can find Bas easily enough.”

The party considered this plan for a while. “I don’t know,” Azat said. “It sounds very dangerous, but Tiana and I have been specifically trained to fight the undead. We should be able to help you greatly. And if destroying Bas will help save our nation, we’ll gladly work with you.”

Amon, on the other hand, shook his head. “Look, hanging with you guys has been fun, but going to the Forbidden Plane itself? That’s just crazy. If I go there, I know how hard it is to go back. I think I’ll stay behind and try to learn about your adventures from here, okay?”

The party accepted Amon’s plea and prepared for their departure. However, Danae had one last thing to do before she left. She turned to Tesserill uneasily and asked, “Blade of Minds, are you now happy with this afterlife?”

Tesserill thought for a moment, but nodded. “I think so. It is peaceful here, and there is much to accomplish and do.”

Danae smiled as her conscience cleared. “That’s good. I know were enemies in life, but I honestly don’t think that we’re all that different. I never meant to kill you, and I didn’t want to see you suffer a fate as horrible as the Far Realms or a servant of the slaads. I hope we can leave here as friends.”

Tesserill held out her hand. “I agree. I wish you luck, and hope that whatever happens, our shared world benefits from it.”

Danae shook her hand gratefully, as did most of the rest of the party. With this resolved, they left Boccob’s domain and took only a couple of days to sell the treasure they obtained on this journey and buy new equipment before returning to Methosilang and plan their next mission.

When they arrived at Tal’s Manor, they learned that they had a message. Or, to be specific, Bath did. “Milady, a magical message was sent for you recently. However, we’re not sure if you should read it. It has a strange feel to it, as if it came from foul and evil realms.”

“Ohh!” Bath squealed with surprising delight. “I bet I know what this is!” She quickly opened the letter and learned that it came from the Succubus she met in Glorium, as she expected.

The letter was short but to the point. “Greetings, Bath Quol. Much as it sickens me, I have performed the task I agreed to do for you. I gathered all the information we had about your target, Allishira. Contrary to what I initially suspected he is not a demon. Rather he was one of the original servants to the goddess you call Bas. He was even her ally before her fall, when she was still expected to have allies among the celestials. Allishira was the most powerful of these celestials, and he was also incredibly loyal to Bas. When she fell, he chose to ally with her against her sisters. Most of her servants were killed, but the ones who survived until the end of the war were simply trapped. When her divine domain was destroyed and the entirety of Bas’ essence was sent to the Material Plane, they were sealed away in a pocket plane between the two locations, unable to be found and destroyed, but unable to escape as well. If Bas called Allishira back into reality, then she must be getting very powerful. I wish you luck in your battle to destroy her. We have enough competition down here as it is.”

After reading the note, Bath rejoined her friends, who were already discussing their plan for getting into the Eye.

“Well, a direct assault is out,” Danae said after consulting her notes. “The Eye of Nerull is 500 feet in diameter and made of evil-tainted stone. It’s guarded by some of The Puppet’s most powerful forces. Even worse, The Eye itself is a weapon. It can sense nearly everything that comes near it, and can project rays of annihilation at approaching targets!”

Visible worried about this, Tiana asked, “Can’t we just teleport in?”

Danae shook her head. “No. The place is magically protected against outside teleportation. We can probably teleport out again, but we need to get in the hard way.”

“So what do we do?” Azat asked.

“Well, the Eye works like a normal eye does. It can only focus on one place at a time. All we need is a distraction impressive enough to keep the Eye and its guards busy while we sneak in the back.”

“What will we use for that?” Bath asked. “I don’t think you want to risk any of your forces now that they’re finally almost ready to attack Bas.”

Tal suddenly grinned. “I have a great idea!” he said.

Later that day, the Tal, Danae, and Tiana were arriving at Fierypyre, the capital city of the orc empire. “I still don’t think this is such a good idea.” Tiana grumbled. “Aren’t you two wanted criminals here after the coliseum incident? Are you sure you’ll be safe.”

“Relax,” Danae said. “Tal and I made sure our disguises are flawless. And considering the war the dragons are waging with the undead, it shouldn’t take too much goading for them to attack the Eye for us.”

The three heroes (chosen among the party because they had the best combination of stealth, magic, and negotiating abilities,) entered the dragon-shaped city and were shocked to see what happened to it since they were last here. “Well, I guess we won’t have to worry as much about security,” Danae muttered.

The place looked horrible. Many of the city’s largest buildings were reduced to crumbling ruins, fires burned unabated everywhere, and fights and looting were breaking out at the slightest provocation. It was obvious that the undead were winning the war, or at least had a number of serious victories to do so much damage the empire’s capital. Thinking that this could be even easier than they thought, the party slowly worked their way through the city, gathering information about recent events while simultaneously planting rumors about a deadly new weapon the undead were planning on unleashing. Once the rumor spread throughout the city, the party began to claim that they were the group responsible for discovering this information, and that it was urgent that it be dealt with immediately! Their ruse finally attracted the attention of the emperor of the orc empire himself, Ka’drylog, AKA the Head that Rules the Claw.

Tal gave Ka’drylog the speech he had been preparing all day, but it was unnerving bluffing his way past one of the greatest enemies of his city. “We were on a routine reconnaissance mission when we came close to the Eye of Nerull. We only spent a few minutes there when we saw it suddenly shudder. We quickly found a better hiding spot and watched it as it disconnected from its support wires and began to fly under its own power!”

Ka’drylog suddenly leaned forward with concern. “You mean that…”

“Yes! The undead have converted what was once a fairly innocent information-gathering center into a mobile fortress! Can you imagine the damage it could do to Fierypyre if it made its way here? Now, it only flew for a few minutes when we saw it, but I don’t think it will take them long before they can get it flying permanently. We have to stop it before they can!”

“Yes, I agree.” Ka’drylog replied. But as good as Tal’s story was, Ka’drylog was to savvy to completely buy into it. “However, I think it would be best if you participated in our attack. After all, you know the capabilities of the Eye better than we do at this point. I’m even willing to let one of my best spies assist you in your journey.” He turned to one of his aides. “Bring in Devlin!”

A few minutes later, a strange, pale man entered the room. He was surprisingly human. “This is Devlin,” Ka’drylog explained. He was a product of twisted experimentation by the undead empire. In an attempt to make better spies capable of interacting with living races more effectively, they bred their vampires with living beings to create crossbreeds. However, these half-vampires were not necessarily loyal to their emperor like all undead are, and the project was terminated along with most of the subjects. Devlin here escaped and offered his services to me. He has been most useful, and I’m sure he’ll be just as useful to you.”

The party reluctantly accepted Devlin’s aide, though they realized that his “help” meant that he would likely means every move they made would be reported to Ka’drylog. But they had little choice but to let him tag along for now and find some way to convince him to join their cause or just eliminate him when the time came. Fortunately, they barely let the city before Devlin told them. “I know who you are. You’re not citizens of Fierypyre. You work for Methosilang! Please, you must let me join you when this mission is over! I wish to defect from the orc empire!”

A surprised and naturally suspicious Tiana asked, “Why would you do that? How can we be sure we can trust you?”

“Look, I never even wanted to be part of the orc empire,” Devlin explained. “I just had no choice. I needed help immediately after escaping the undead, and your city was designed to be nearly impossible to find. Besides, at the time, I had little hope that you would even take me in. I was afraid they would just destroy me for my half-undead heritage. But I know that at least your band of heroes would tolerate me. After all, you were willing to take in The Savior the last time you were here, and she is clearly an evil force. I just want a chance to do good for one.”

Tiana looked nervously at Tal, but he nodded to indicate he trusted him. When they returned to Robin, Azat, and Bath, Bath and Azat studied his aura as well and found him to be a good man, so they agreed for now to let him travel with them.

The next day, the three spies in the party and Devlin met up with the dragon assault force. The party’s plan was simple. The dragons make a forward assault on the Eye. As soon as the fight starts, the four members of the party will join Robin, Azat and Bath on the other side of the Eye when they can slip away unnoticed. The group will then magically fly to the rear of the Eye, disintegrate enough of the wall to create an opening, and slip in before the dragon attackers were routed. Because Danae’s research taught her that much of the Eye was filled with a strange fluid, they also prepared magic that would give them complete freedom when swimming and let them breathe safely.

Surprisingly, this part of the plan went off without a hitch. As soon as the dragons got even close to the Eye, it immediately whirled and fired a green ray at the lead dragon. It was struck right in the chest by it, but it shook off the effects and flew on undeterred. About then, however, dozens of incorporeal undead flew out of the eye, while other undead monstrosities rose from a resting point on top of the eye to join the battle. Teleporting away was easy for the foursome, and they quickly rejoined their friends and infiltrated the Eye. Of course, this was the easy part. Now they had to fight their way through the Eye, somehow disguise themselves to avoid capture, and find Palfrin before he can escape!

OOC Notes: This adventure turned out to be a long one; mostly because of a hiatus we started midway through it. I’ll explain the details of that in the next update, because it will cover the rest of the games before said hiatus. Devlin is a new character by the same player who ran Theaven before. You might notice this kind of thing is fairly common at this point in the game.

OaxacanWarrior

First Post
Well I finally finished reading your story hour and I'd like to say thanks for the great story! The writing has improved throughout. I especially like the OOC comments at the end of most of your updates. I find those quite interesting, especially with all the player changes that happen in your group.

LordVyreth

First Post
OaxacanWarrior said:
Well I finally finished reading your story hour and I'd like to say thanks for the great story! The writing has improved throughout. I especially like the OOC comments at the end of most of your updates. I find those quite interesting, especially with all the player changes that happen in your group.

Hey, thanks for the kind words. I'm never certain how many people actually read my SH; it seems to be a bit of a lurkers' choice, to borrow Wizardru's terminology, and it's nice to hear from the readers from time to time. Do you have any questions about the events in the campaign? Or any particular favorite moments or characters? Anything you didn't like so much?

OaxacanWarrior

First Post
LordVyreth said:
Hey, thanks for the kind words. I'm never certain how many people actually read my SH; it seems to be a bit of a lurkers' choice, to borrow Wizardru's terminology, and it's nice to hear from the readers from time to time. Do you have any questions about the events in the campaign? Or any particular favorite moments or characters? Anything you didn't like so much?

You're welcome. :) I really liked how you created the entire campaign world from the first adventure with the Quill. I have also enjoyed the many twists that have happened. Most of my questions are more about the players and group interaction (like why did Quercus's player leave on such bad terms), but that's probably just my morbid curiosity coming out.

I don't usually like involving technology like the subway and computers in a D&D campaign, but I think you've done a pretty good job of doing that believably.

I look forward to seeing where the campaign goes from here.

LordVyreth

First Post
OaxacanWarrior said:
You're welcome. :) I really liked how you created the entire campaign world from the first adventure with the Quill. I have also enjoyed the many twists that have happened. Most of my questions are more about the players and group interaction (like why did Quercus's player leave on such bad terms), but that's probably just my morbid curiosity coming out.

I don't usually like involving technology like the subway and computers in a D&D campaign, but I think you've done a pretty good job of doing that believably.

I look forward to seeing where the campaign goes from here.

Yeah, I enjoyed using the whole Quill thing myself. I still wonder how the hell I managed to create an entire campaign world that had so many unusual elements (Methosilang, the two evil empires, the minimal sun thing) and the first adventure in about a week! I'm still trying to figure out if I could ever use this gimmick again, though. Certainly not with the same party, though I only have one person from that original party left anyway.

I can answer some questions about group and party dynamics, but I'd rather not publicly talk about the details of the uglier events in the game. It tends to detract from the story hour. Besides, though I don't know if any of my ex-players still post here, I'd rather not risk it. After all, we already had one Story Hour closed this month based on this sort of thing! I probably could email you some details if you wanted, though.

I'm glad you liked the technology aspects. I was worried about that when I introduced that, but I have to admit I'm a big fan of juxtapositional worlds with some combination of magic, technology, and psionics. Making the Quill a major aspect of the game world's history and not just a good way to start the campaign made mixing technology into it easy. And then when TIE got involved, all bets were off...

LordVyreth

First Post
Sigh...I'm sorry about the lack of updates this week. I normally write up the story hour on sundays, but I've just been feeling sick all day. I think I have eye strain or something, so trying to be creative while typing on the computer is about as hard as you might expect! I can't really update over the course of this week because I'm working out the next adventure for the actual campaign; there should only be another three or four adventures until the end, so the write-ups have been a little more difficult! However, expect another update next weekend. In the meantime, I'm happy to answer pretty much any questions or listen to any comments you might have.

OaxacanWarrior

First Post
LordVyreth said:
Sigh...I'm sorry about the lack of updates this week. I normally write up the story hour on sundays, but I've just been feeling sick all day. I think I have eye strain or something, so trying to be creative while typing on the computer is about as hard as you might expect! I can't really update over the course of this week because I'm working out the next adventure for the actual campaign; there should only be another three or four adventures until the end, so the write-ups have been a little more difficult! However, expect another update next weekend. In the meantime, I'm happy to answer pretty much any questions or listen to any comments you might have.

Wow...only 3 or 4 more adventures. I am interested to see how this ends up. Will the PCs be able to destroy the "moons" blocking out the sun? Can they destroy Bas? Will any of them survive? Will any of the PCs from the original party still be around to see the end?

I suppose only time will be able to answer these questions. Good luck on your gaming! I hope you get feeling better. I'll be waiting for the next update.

LordVyreth

First Post
Well, keep in mind from your pespective that it's more like 4.5 to 5.5 adventures left, since I'm still trying to catch up to modern events! The last adventure was a good one as well. It actually managed to bring tears to a player's eye, and not in the "What did you do to my character? You bastard!" sense, either. :)

I'm starting to feel better, though I still don't know what was wrong in the first place, so I should be good for an update this weekend.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I just want to say, I'm still reading :)

I'm aware that mostly I just lurk around reading, but I fully agree with OaxacanWarrior, you're getting better as you go and couldn't just leave you hanging, thinking nobody reads this SH :D

I'll be changing firms in about two weeks, so probably I'll need to catch up again. Thanks for writing.

Remove ads