Consequences of the Quill (Restored 5/13/06)

OaxacanWarrior

First Post
LordVyreth said:
OOC Notes: The next update will likely be a major milestone for us, because it will be the point where I officially catch up with the campaign! That’s right; the party is still in the moon and currently in the middle of the final battle of the adventure. Unfortunately, this means that updates after the next one might be a little sparser. Most of these updates covered multiple play sessions, so when I have to cover only one per update, they might seem short. Alternatively, I might also have to skip a normal update time if not enough has happened for that week or if I had to end it in the middle of a fight. What method would you prefer?

The first part of this update was actually very emotional for character and player. I think this was the first time I actually was able to bring a tear to a player’s eye just because of the story. It’s a bit of an honor, though also just a bit embarrassing. Still, moments like that one of the reasons I still DM this game, despite all the setbacks, so it was a big moment for me.

Whatever way works best for you works for me with regards to the posting. Blowing up a moon with a nuke sounds pretty awesome! I can't wait to see how this all plays out. Making a player cry with the story line is a big accomplishment...congrats on that!

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I join OaxacanWarrior in congratulations :D

I would prefer if every update had some substance instead of just short session overview. It is not important if they are little sparser, most of us follows multiple threads so it is no problem. Besides, look at Blackdirge who hasn't updated for months now. :\

You're doing good and don't change that for reader's convenience.

Regarding moon blow-up, did you work out consequences of changed gravity or just made it irrelevant? By, for example, destroying this world and returning to normal time befire the Quill?

LordVyreth

First Post
Neurotic said:
I join OaxacanWarrior in congratulations :D

I would prefer if every update had some substance instead of just short session overview. It is not important if they are little sparser, most of us follows multiple threads so it is no problem. Besides, look at Blackdirge who hasn't updated for months now. :\

You're doing good and don't change that for reader's convenience.

Regarding moon blow-up, did you work out consequences of changed gravity or just made it irrelevant? By, for example, destroying this world and returning to normal time befire the Quill?

Err, I sort of hand-waved the gravity issue. The moons are really fairly small, so they'd have no real effect on the gravity. After all, if they were too big, they'd be too large to be used as weapons without causing global destruction or mass extinctions. As for gravity on the moon, I'll assume the gravity is magically provided, just like the trapped air and heat. The in-game explanation for all that is the orc empire was responsible for mining the rock, carving it into the moons, and doing some maintenance of the moons in the final stages of their creation and launch, hence the need for magic to make them inhabitable by the living. I'm not sure what you mean in the last sentence, though. What about destroying the world and return to normal time do you mean?

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
LordVyreth said:
What about destroying the world and return to normal time do you mean?

What I meant to say is, when this is all over and Bas is destroyed and/or undead and orcish empires are destroyed or whatever, will the wolrd as PCs know it cease to exist and return to normal? Normal in the sense of Prime Material, where you can travel to other planes of existence and Drow and Elves are enemies etc. As I understand it, this world is just a (big) "pocket" dimension caused/made by The Quill. Thus, if those who wished it are gone, the world has no reason to exist anymore. This could even form your next campaign with time limit, how to prevent dissappearance/erasure of so many lives :)

LordVyreth

First Post
Neurotic said:
What I meant to say is, when this is all over and Bas is destroyed and/or undead and orcish empires are destroyed or whatever, will the wolrd as PCs know it cease to exist and return to normal? Normal in the sense of Prime Material, where you can travel to other planes of existence and Drow and Elves are enemies etc. As I understand it, this world is just a (big) "pocket" dimension caused/made by The Quill. Thus, if those who wished it are gone, the world has no reason to exist anymore. This could even form your next campaign with time limit, how to prevent dissappearance/erasure of so many lives :)

Ah, I see. That's a bit of a misunderstanding, actually. The plane the campaign takes place on isn't a pocket dimension; it's a regular Material Plane. In the game's cosmology, there are multiple Material Planes, including the South American-inspired culture Azat and Tonaca came from and the Pyrodessy plane the party visited. The party's Material plane wasn't created by the Quill; it simply is vastly changed every time the Quill is used. The Semi-Planar Rift that blocks most planar travel has existed since TIE first created it eons ago, though it does get stronger or weaker based on how "normal" the plane is at any given time. So the plane will remain the way it is after Bas and the two evil empires are gone, at least until the Quill is used again. Keep in mind, though, that Bas' crater and subsequent discover of lost artifacts from previous worlds is screwing up the Quill's nature, so it's hard to say if and when the Quill will appear again. Does that make sense?

LordVyreth

First Post
I'd like to apologize for the lack of an update this weekend. We ended up not playing last week, as one player was visiting parents and another was in the middle of a move. Hopefully I'll be able to add a brief update this weekend to bring the story hour up to the fight the party's still midway through.

LordVyreth

First Post
Sigh...I'm sorry. I never got the chance to work on it this weekend. I'll try to take care of it this week when I have the chance; Tuesday maybe, or at least I can get a start then.

LordVyreth

First Post
Sorry. We actually went into a bit of a hiatus because of the busy month we're all having. Between Danae's player moving, Gen Con next week, and another player going on a business trip, it's been hard scheduling a game. I will finish up the update of the next part of the adventure some time this week, but the next update after that could be a while. In the meantime, do you have any suggestions for things I can add to the Story Hour before that?

OaxacanWarrior

First Post
LordVyreth said:
Sorry. We actually went into a bit of a hiatus because of the busy month we're all having. Between Danae's player moving, Gen Con next week, and another player going on a business trip, it's been hard scheduling a game. I will finish up the update of the next part of the adventure some time this week, but the next update after that could be a while. In the meantime, do you have any suggestions for things I can add to the Story Hour before that?

I'd love to see the character writeups (i.e. level, class, race, abilities, etc.) of the various PCs if you have them. This would also be interesting to see of some of the main advesaries as well.

Remove ads