• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Consider the Cannoli: Subjective Preferences and Conversations about Geek Media

Honestly, having strong opinions about the right or wrongness of other people's taste in pizza toppings is so weirdly American.

I like pinneapple pizza but I think these kinds of debates are really half tongue in cheek and more like busting chops than a real argument. I have never seen remarks about pineapple rise above anything more than humor in person. I used to complain anytime my friends ordered greek pizza around here, but I would still happily eat it.

MGibster

Legend
Honestly, having strong opinions about the right or wrongness of other people's taste in pizza toppings is so weirdly American.
In 2006 Japan created the World Food Culture Conservation Organization and sent their sushi "police" to foreign countries to authenticate Japanese cuisine. They wanted to prevent abominations like the California roll. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to enjoy my spicy taco sushi roll from Taco Bell.

MGibster

Legend
In 2016, Disney released a recipe called Tiana's Healthy Gumbo which caused quite a stir on the internet. But then what doesn't, right? The "gumbo" didn't start out with a roux, one of the ingredients was kale, and instead of being served over rice it was served with quinoa. Riddle me this, Batman! When is a gumbo not a gumbo? There were some defenders of the dish. After all, gumbo is less of a recipe and more of a general idea for a type of stew. But there were plenty of people who were unhappy with Disney modifying a traditional regional dish.

When I lived in Colorado Springs as a wee lad, my mother entered a cooking contest whose theme was traditional holiday dishes and prepared a fine Christmas goose with some sort of dressing. One eager entrant submitted her vegetarian pizza and much to the surprise of many participants she won. And by surprise I mean they were pissed because nobody viewed vegetarian pizza as a traditional holiday dish. (Incidentally, I suspect the entrant to be the type of person to bring a werewolf to a vampire game.)

We don't always think of it, but food is culturally imporant to us in ways beyond just tasting good.

I like pinneapple pizza but I think these kinds of debates are really half tongue in cheek and more like busting chops than a real argument. I have never seen remarks about pineapple rise above anything more than humor in person. I used to complain anytime my friends ordered greek pizza around here, but I would still happily eat it.
When I lived in China I experienced corn on pizza. That was a true abomination before the Lord.

Germans seem to like Tuna on pizza. Apparently canned Tuna. Is corn worse?
It is the texture more than anything. I cannot say about tuna as I don’t like fish in general but there certainly are some fish that I would imagine goes ok. Corn was terrible to me but quite popular in China. KFC sold little cups of corn.

When I lived in Singapore I go used to spicy sauce (sort of a chili ketchup) in fast food places, but that was a weird surprise the first time I tried it.

When I lived in China I experienced corn on pizza. That was a true abomination before the Lord.

I think it is useful to be open minded. People bring these foods into their own culture and see it through a different set of expectations around flavor, texture, etc. Pizza is one that is incredibly interesting because some places get very experimental.

It is the texture more than anything. I cannot say about tuna as I don’t like fish in general but there certainly are some fish that I would imagine goes ok.

I strongly dislike it but back when I was delivering pizza (North of Boston area) one of the most common toppings that older people from the WWII generation would get (not super common but common enough that you noticed) was cod. I felt it smelled strongly of ammonia and I didn't really think the texture would work (I don't like scallops on my pizza so I imagine cod would provoke a stronger reaction). I do like anchovies though. But plenty of people from that generation seemed to like the cod pizza.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The "gumbo" didn't start out with a roux, one of the ingredients was kale, and instead of being served over rice it was served with quinoa. Riddle me this, Batman! When is a gumbo not a gumbo?
I don’t know why you’d ditch roux- too fatty, perhaps? I’d say that’s kind of essential for flavor or thickening*, but it’s possible to do without in certain varieties, especially those using okra. (I make an okra based “Bachelor’s Gumbo” that doesn’t use roux.) Kale can be used in certain kinds of gumbo, like Gumbo Z’herbes*, so that’s OK.

But quinoa? That’s a BIG stretch.
Germans seem to like Tuna on pizza. Apparently canned Tuna.

The only seafood I can remember having on a standard pizza is shrimp, and there used to be a place near me that did a lox pizza. The latter was essentially a gigantic traditional lox bagel using pizza crust instead of the bagel. DELICIOUS! Once, I mistakenly I ate one solo and nearly burst mah belleh; only got it if sharing ever after.

* even my Gumbo Pasta uses a roux

** the lighter the roux, the more it thickens. The darker the roux, the more flavor it adds.

*** a.k.a. Green Gumbo, this is a gumbo that is essentially mixed creole greens with added broth. It’s usually served in Lent or near New Years.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads