• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Consider the Cannoli: Subjective Preferences and Conversations about Geek Media

Ryujin

Legend
My relative got caught up in a wedding & reception that ran long, and won’t be joining us tonight. So we opted for Vietnamese instead- I had pho.

But if they show tomorrow, Canadian pizza is still an option…
A "Canadian" would be pepperoni, fresh mushrooms, and bacon crumble. At least at the largest chain we have.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Poutine is much more Quebecois than Canadian. It spread, but much more popular in Quebec.
The spread must be stopped! Its in every restaurant in the mid-west of America and its awful. Every. Single. Time. I'll have to get up to Quebec sometime and try the real thing. The imitation turns out the palest.

payn

Nobody where I live in Canada calls it "Canadian Bacon." I don't think I've ever seen a pizza here called "Canadian pizza," either. Hawaiian pizza is ham and pineapple. I'm not exactly sure what "Canadian bacon" actually is - thick ham, or something?

But maybe it's an Ontario thing. Canada, much like the US, is a huge country with a lot of distinct regions. BC, where I live, is more like Washington State in many ways than it is Eastern Canada.
It's is actually thinly sliced loin ham cuts. In America, as folks mentioned, our bacon comes from the side cut of the belly.

I spied a large bowl of unsauced spaghetti on the kitchen table upon my arrive. I was immediately curious, is someone eating spaghetti tonight? This is when I learned about the unholy abomination that is Cincinnati chili. Oh, it didn't taste horrible or anything and like a good guest I ate it. Oh! The disappointment.
I am just learning about this for the first time. Now that looks interesting

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I lived in Cincinnati briefly and was initially skeptical at best.

Over time going to Skyline Chili or Gold Star was a staple for a poor grad student/intern.

I grew to love Cincinnati chili. If I recall it was invented by an immigrant family and I just saw it as its own thing.

payn

The biggest issues tend to be the cheese (should use cheddar cheese curds) and the sauce. But it’s not meant to be fine dining. More comfort food.
Im pretty sure the American version comes off a truck, in a bag, that is microwaved, and then dumped on fired potatoes. ITs poor quality is so obvious, im just surprised anyone here would order it.

Now, I can envision a good version made freshly with care. Thats not what we have here. I'd be upset if I was a poutine aficionado.

I lived in Cincinnati briefly and was initially skeptical at best.

Over time going to Skyline Chili or Gold Star was a staple for a poor grad student/intern.

I grew to love Cincinnati chili. If I recall it was invented by an immigrant family and I just saw it as its own thing.

It honestly looks like good comfort food to me

Ryujin

Legend
The biggest issues tend to be the cheese (should use cheddar cheese curds) and the sauce. But it’s not meant to be fine dining. More comfort food.
If it doesn't put you in a food coma, then it's likely not good poutine. Everyone seems to have their own variation on it but I would agree that the sauce/gravy and real cheese curd are the key. Fresh cut thick fries also help. The best I've had tends to come from random chip trucks, rather than sit down restaurants. Conversely, the worst I've had also tends to come from chip trucks.

Last edited:

payn

If it doesn't put you in a food coma, then it's likely not good poutine. Everyone seems to have their own variation on it but I would agree that the sauce/gravy and real cheese curd are the key. Fresh cut thick fries also help. The bets I've had tends to come from random chip trucks, rather than sit down restaurants. Conversely, the worst I've had also tends to come from chip trucks.
You would think here in a land that prides itself for its cheese, they would make a killer poutine. Nope. Always a soggy gross mess.

Remove ads