Consider the Cannoli: Subjective Preferences and Conversations about Geek Media

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Some people like it, I just recall trying to eat it as a side dish and not at all enjoying the process
I’ve only had it a couple times. The first time, it wasn’t all that good. Kind of gritty & almost flavorless.

The second time, I had it at one of those “healthy bowl” type restaurants, and it was actually damn good. But I never got back- they went out of business within a year, so I guess they didn’t do enough other stuff well to survive.

(I also have some in my pantry, but have yet to try making it.)

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I used to eat a lot of quinoa because I have celiac (and it is just in a lot of flour alternatives as well as a common grain to use in a gluten free meal). My opinion is it works well as part of the blend in corn pasta, but that is about it. As a grain, it feels has a texture that feels strange to me. It is also technically not a grain I think (believe it is a seed). Some people like it, I just recall trying to eat it as a side dish and not at all enjoying the process (there wasn't anything particularly bad about it, I just didn't feel like I wanted to keep eating it). Also something to note, eventually I developed an allergy to it and this apparently isn't that uncommon (and since a lot of people are now having it more regularly for the first time, definitely something to note if you find you have hives after eating it)
We have a partially gluten free household. I have come to love quinoa as a side dish like rice.

It would be fine I think in almost any stew or soup. But I am not a cook, just at a glutton, so…

It's pretty much everywhere in Canada now, though. I live in Victoria, BC. There are numerous specialty poutine restaurants and food trucks, and almost every fast food place or bar includes it on the menu. You can get it at McDonalds.

I dunno how places manage to screw it up: French fries, cheese curds, gravy. I guess, as always, it comes to down the quality of the ingredients.
I guess it is good enough and easy enough to make that it has spread really far now. I remember when it first showed up in Montreal and you had to hunt it down.

It is pure high calories comfort food. With fresh cheddar cheese curds and the right brown gravy plus fries that did not start off soggy before the gravy and melted cheese was mixed in, it really sticks with you when your body is craving food. I think the cheese is important, and it needs to be not shredded and most melt from the fries and gravy. Most inferior versions use shredded mozzarella cheese.

About the only additions I have found worked are small pieces of smoked meat and once in a place in Montreal I had it with Fois Gras. Was very surprised how well that went with poutine.

Clint_L

Hero
What they call "Canadian Bacon" in the US you'll find as Back Bacon in Canadian stores.
Oh, okay. So maybe Americans think we eat back bacon instead of regular bacon. Most Canadians don't - back bacon is kind of a niche item, whereas you'll find row upon row of regular bacon in a Canadian grocery store, just like in an American one.

Now I'm trying to think of things we eat or drink here that really would be unusual in the States. Oh, I know - we call them chocolate bars, not candy bars. And ours are way better, even when they are ostensibly the same brand (e.g. a Canadian Kit Kat is a very different experience from an American one). Ours taste more like the British versions. Less sweet than in the US. And you can get Kinder Surprise eggs here, though not sure why you'd want to.

And we have a thing called Hawkins Cheezies, of which your Cheetos are a pale imitation. And Old Dutch potato chips, far superior to Lays. And a lot more flavours of potato chips. Including a gross ketchup version that many Canadians inexplicably enjoy.

Caesars (the cocktail) are hugely popular here, but I think they're gross, though my spouse loves them.

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
Oh, okay. So maybe Americans think we eat back bacon instead of regular bacon. Most Canadians don't - back bacon is kind of a niche item, whereas you'll find row upon row of regular bacon in a Canadian grocery store, just like in an American one.
According to Wikipedia, we call it Canadian bacon because it was first imported from Toronto to New York and is the more common form of bacon you'll find in Ireland and the United Kingdom. Can any subjects of the British crown or our Irish friends answer as to whether this is true? My wife eats Canadian bacon just about every morning with her breakfast because it's much leaner than bacon. She also purchases a fairly expensive brand but it's so goddamn delicious I can't fault her for it.

According to Wikipedia, we call it Canadian bacon because it was first imported from Toronto to New York and is the more common form of bacon you'll find in Ireland and the United Kingdom. Can any subjects of the British crown or our Irish friends answer as to whether this is true? My wife eats Canadian bacon just about every morning with her breakfast because it's much leaner than bacon. She also purchases a fairly expensive brand but it's so goddamn delicious I can't fault her for it.
Canadian bacon is from the loin. It is cured, pre-cooked, unsmoked and typically sliced thin (for pizza or eggs benedict). It is basically prepared the same way as ham, although ham comes from the rump or back leg.

Back bacon is also from the loin: cured, uncooked and may be smoked or unsmoked. I find that greenback is the best - dry cured and unsmoked. If you have a good butcher, they'll cut it to your specifications as thick as you like. Thick is good.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
This is true, it should probably be called English bacon. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads